PDA

View Full Version : Crystals in urine??

Jeanette
19-08-2006, 07:07 PM
My vet think that may be what Oliver has...

I've been asked to get a urine sample:shock:

Luckily a friend of mine had heard of some kind of pearls, which would make Oliver think that there is cat litter in the box and go pee.. These pearls are made of plastic and the urine will go through them till the bottom.. And yesterday evening we had succes..

The sample is now in my fridge, and I'm delivering it to my vet monday morning.

I've bought Royal Canin Urinary, so he's given some food which is supposed to help.

So fingers crossed for some good news on monday... I'm kinda hoping its this, rather than it being some kind of behaviour issue

borderdawn
19-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Is he having problems weeing Jeanette?
Dawn,

Jeanette
19-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Dawn

Hmm dont know if he has problems, but he has 2 litterboxes. Both were completely cleaned saturday, I rinse out for lumps and poos morning and evening everyday..

One had not been used for 1½ day and the other was cleaned out, and still he chose to pee in Luna's bed.. He's done it before.. but I hadnt noticed, untill a wet Bella laid in the bed, making the smell come back.

He's also miauing a lot more than he used to... I thought it was because he was hungry (being on a diet), but he's also miauing straight after having eaten.

Apparently crystals in the urine is a common thing in old cats..

I dont know if they are right or not, but we'll know on monday:-(

EmmaG
19-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Arthur does exactly the same, meows like crazy, in and out of the litter tray, and will try and wee in other places (bathroom mat, OH jeans, Bronwyns bed)

I just swap him over to high protein wet food mixed with some water. It always clears up the problem within a couple of days. In future I am doing to stop giving them dried food at it always makes it far far worse.

Jeanette
19-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Oliver will never go for wetfood..

I've wanted to switch him over to raw as Luna is, but he's not interested--

But we are going to give this Rooyal Canin Urinary a go, and here what the vet says on monday.. Could be something completely different:? :(

dinahsmum
20-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Good luck Jeanette and Oliver

Booktigger
20-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Jeannette - I dont know if they test urine differently over there, but over here, the sample has to have been done within 4 hours or it will show an incorrect reading, and will show crystals. My old vet doesn't think that crystals are a prob, as most cats have them anyway, so she just recommends wet food, more water and less stress - obviously that isn't an option for you, so hopefully the urinary food will work.

Donna
20-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Hope Oliver is okay Jeanette, fingers crossed x

Mags
20-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Good luck with Oliver, Jeanette....

Jac
20-08-2006, 10:46 AM
One of Moli's cats used to suffer with crystels. May be worth pming her. I'm sure she would be glad to help.

Moli
20-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Leo had crystals in his bladder, he was trying to pee, but was just spottng....He had a op to remove them, and is now on a special diet and had injections once a month to strengthen his bladder wall....

Hope all goes well with Oliver...

Jeanette
20-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Leo had crystals in his bladder, he was trying to pee, but was just spottng....He had a op to remove them, and is now on a special diet and had injections once a month to strengthen his bladder wall....

Hope all goes well with Oliver...

:shock: :shock: :shock: yikes. Is Leo completely recovered now, then?

Thank you all.

My vet said that Oliver wouldn't need surgery, that the food would help.

I asked if I could have it in the fridge the weekend over, and they said yes.. I've saved the pearls (rinsed them off first and let them dry) so I can just do it again, if its not working...

The alternative would have been for the vet to try and get the urine sample,, And I didnt want Oliver to go through that if I could get the sample myself, so I was given the weekend to try...

I hope its working so I can get an answer soon..

Moli
20-08-2006, 01:09 PM
It was my fault Leo needed surgey, I did not pick up on it in time:( , he was completely blocked..If I had, he would have just got the food to help him...He is fine now, that was 5 years ago and he has not had any problems since....:D

Jeanette
20-08-2006, 01:41 PM
It was my fault Leo needed surgey, I did not pick up on it in time:( , he was completely blocked..If I had, he would have just got the food to help him...He is fine now, that was 5 years ago and he has not had any problems since....:D

Well I dont know how long Oliver's had a problem.. or IF he has a problem.. But I'll find out tomoz I guess.

I'm glad to hear Leo's all better and havent had further issues with it:D

Sweet
20-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Best of Luck at the Vets Monday x

Jeanette
20-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Best of Luck at the Vets Monday x

Thank you very much:-)

yola
20-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Jeanette - I hope Oliver's OK. My blue boy, Balie regularly suffers from UTI. He has been tested for crystals but none have been present. Hopefully Oliver's just got a straightforward UTI and antibiotics will clear it up.

A full blockage (as Moli describes) is nasty. My neighbour's cat had it and it nearly killed him (I found him writhing in pain in my garden and alerted them). He too had to have an emergency op and ongoing medication.

Kazz
20-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Good luck with him J, its horrible isn't it when they are not quite right. Hope it works out well.

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi Yola and Karen

Thank you both very much.

I'm at work now. The sample's been delivered at the vets so now I can only wait..

I'll let you know as soon as I have a result:)

dinahsmum
21-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Hope he'll be OK J. Sure he will.
Years ago (over 30! :shock: ), when dry food was not as well formulated as now, I had a boy who had urine retention. He squatted and squatted but couldn't pee. He escaped an op because my vet at the time was keen on complementary as well as orthodox medicine and used acupuncture to make things relax.

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks H

Yeah I hope he'll be fine.. I'm waiting for a call from the vet at some point today to hear if they could use the sample.. it was taken friday night, so perhaps we need another one..

Yikes.. good vet!!

Oh I dont know if he'd survive a surgery.. not as much the surgery as the fact, that I would have to leave him at the vet's poor boy:(

Moli
21-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Good luck with the vets today Jeanette, sure Oliver will be fine,,:D

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Good luck with the vets today Jeanette, sure Oliver will be fine,,:D

Havent heard anything yet...:(

Moli
21-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Think thats the worse part........waiting!

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Think thats the worse part........waiting!

Yes I agree... your mind runs away with you:roll: :?

Moli
21-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I am sure if nthere was a problem they bwould have phoned you by now.....

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I am sure if nthere was a problem they bwould have phoned you by now.....

Yeah I hope so:-)

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Well the guess was right. Olivers urine had loads of crystals in it.. so he is now permanently on Royal Canin Urinary... And we hope it helps fairly quickly or he will need to have some meds for it:-(

Poor kitty:(

dinahsmum
21-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Eat up all your special food Oliver (Min says her renal diet is great, yum yum!)

Jeanette
21-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Eat up all your special food Oliver (Min says her renal diet is great, yum yum!)

Aww poor Min:-(

Oh dont you worry, Oliver eats everything, and would eat more if allowed;)

Tom
21-08-2006, 06:44 PM
awww poor oliver, i'm sure he will be fine J don't worry. Just need to make sure he is eating his food!

Tom xxx

Jeanette
22-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi Tom

Yeah I'm sure he'll be fine.. And the food's already working.. I can see that when I clean out the litterbox.

Just think how long he must have been in pain before we discovered this:-(