PDA

View Full Version : Matted Molly! Help......

Molly's Mum
17-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Hiya Everyone,
I've only just joined and already have a cat problem to share :oops:! Molly over the past few years dosen't like being brushed and we try and do it every other day but she seems to get Matts overnight and when we try and get them out she hisses, stratches etc She's not vicious but she dosen't really like being brushed.
I have thought about clippering the matted bits out and maybe purchasing a grooming table and some clippers I've seen in Argos but I don't want to hurt her as I have no experiance in doing it.
Can anyone Help and I don't really want to take her back to the vets where it costs around £50 :shock:

Thanks,
Harriet & Matted Molly xx

Donna
17-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I have two cats who hate the brush too - but they are short haired so no matting. I wonder if the calming sprays you can buy for cats would help whilst she is being brushed? Cant remember what it is called - Feliway? - but am sure the others would remember.

samwise
17-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I am sorry I dont have any experience of long haired cats.
I have those clippers from Argos for my dogs, they are great! But if she doesnt like brushing I can see you bleeding with a set of clippers!:shock:
Really dont know what to suggest, I am sure someone else will be able to help!
Good Luck and welcome:D:D

Delilah
18-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I have a Birman cat who doesn't like grooming but it is necessary. I don't have to groom her daily, but I have a go when she is still very sleepy! However, I now take her a cat groomer every 6 weeks, this is a must, otherwise I just couldn't cope. Have you phoned round your dog/cat groomers or searched on website to see if there are any near you? The Feliway spray may help to relax her, and I know that Bachs Flower remedy is supposed to help cats feel less stressed, a few drops in her water bowl, but I don't know first hand.

Maine Coon slave
20-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Bachs rscue Remedy is very good for calming cats, I know people who used it for nervous cats when they were taking them to shows. You can put one or two drops direct on their tongue.

cheers

Molly's Mum
20-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Thanks everyone. I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow and ask how much it will be as it's not as bad as last time or maybe get on to her Cattery who also do dog grooming and ask if they can just give her a quick clip :(.

How long does the relaxing stuff last for? Would she be her normal self afterwards!? :lol: (In a good way!)

Thanks, MM xx

Sweet
20-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I use Bach's when flying......is it the same stuff for animals then? Its brilliant x