Moli
16-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Not quite sure what to think of that!

whiskey
16-08-2006, 01:53 PM
that is so sad poor little baby:( :(

Anne
16-08-2006, 01:59 PM
I just saw the picture and felt sad. I didn't want to see anymore. He is obviously loved and being looked after, which is the main thing.
AnneXX

Mags
16-08-2006, 02:37 PM
The poor, poor baby! That was upsetting to watch..........no matter how much love he gets from his owner now, I think it would really have been a lot kinder to have had him gently put to sleep as a kitt.....:(

Naomi
16-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree it would have been a lot kinder to have had him PTS

Rosie
16-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Although it is upsetting to us we have to remember he is a cat and has absolutely no idea he looks different. He looks very healthy and content. It is only our perception of his disfigurement - therefore why should he have been pts? Purely cosmetic - I can't understand how anyone could let a blind dog or cat exist but people who have them say they are fine.

borderdawn
16-08-2006, 04:26 PM
He "circles the room" "he sees like a Horse??" she takes him SHOPPING!!!! Freak show for publicity nothing more, the Cat obviously has serious mental deformaties to allow it be taken shopping to a shopping centre and stared at! and why would any respectable person put that animal through that? Does it not have enough to contend with?
Dawn.

LMC
16-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't have sound on my work PC and wasn't aware that he was "on display" like that as couldn't hear what the owner was saying.

Obviously, an incredibly unusual "disability" but apart from that, I fail to see why we should consider it any different from any other abnormality.

Why so angry BD? I don't get it. Cats do not perceive things the same way we do. He doesn't know anything different, and unlike a "disfigured" or disabled human being, would be unaware of the stares and would not understand unkind comments. I'm with Rosie. His eyes look bright, his nose clean and his coat healthy, as far as you can tell from a video. He's taking an interest and looks relaxed and happy.

dandysmom
16-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry, but I feel the humane thing to have done would be to euthanize the poor little deformed thing painlessly. It can never enjoy a normal life...:(

Luke
16-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I agree with mags and other-would have been kinder to pts when younger, sure he's loved-but still there MUST be a comprimisation on some quality of life..

Rosie
17-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Sorry, but I feel the humane thing to have done would be to euthanize the poor little deformed thing painlessly. It can never enjoy a normal life...

Please could you explain to me why you would take an animal's life just because it didn't look normal considering the animals has no idea how it looks.

Luke
17-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Please could you explain to me why you would take an animal's life just because it didn't look normal considering the animals has no idea how it looks.
Because these looks/deformities could (and probably will/does) have a massive impact of the quality of life the animal lives-in my eyes, when the quality of life is comprimised there is only one decision to make.

Sweet
17-08-2006, 09:08 AM
I am lost for words.......he looks a lovely kitty x

Naomi
17-08-2006, 11:36 AM
He has 3 eyes, the centre one is nonfunctional

One of his faces has had all the teeth removed as it's mouth doesn't lead to an esophegus

He walks in circles to get the right perspective on things.

she takes him to PETCO and admitts that it does cause a comotion but she takes him anyway. This makes me think that she is using him as an object to be gawped at.

If any of my cats had a deformity and I had decided on not having it euthenised, I wouldn't take the cat to a shop knowing full well that it would be gawped at and cause a stir.

I'm sorry but, in my opinion, this is no way for a pet to live.

Mags
17-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree with everything Nae has said, with those deformaties how can anyone say the poor cat can live a normal life.

I also think the owner is using him as 'something different'......how many owners would take their cat shopping with them, knowing full well that the attention he would get with his deformaties would be distressing to children and adults alike?

Rosie
17-08-2006, 03:03 PM
again I ask why because the cat doesn't look good does he/she not have quality of life. Even if his owner does take him around and put him on display all he knows is that he is with the person who cares for him not that he is a freak. I really feel very strongly that we cannot attribute human feelings to a cat and as long as it is not in pain is well fed and cared for and the owners can live with how the cat looks what harm is there.

borderdawn
17-08-2006, 03:20 PM
again I ask why because the cat doesn't look good does he/she not have quality of life. Even if his owner does take him around and put him on display all he knows is that he is with the person who cares for him not that he is a freak. I really feel very strongly that we cannot attribute human feelings to a cat and as long as it is not in pain is well fed and cared for and the owners can live with how the cat looks what harm is there.

Rosie this has been answered for you, its isnt its looks alone its IS the quality of life is doesnt have! Naomi has pointed out several things, Ill say them again for you.
1. The Cat sees like a Horse! Great!
2. He circles a room. Hardly the behaviour of a "normal" Cat.
3. She takes him shopping in Petco!! what normal Cat would stand for that!
4. One of his faces has had all the teeth removed as it's mouth doesn't lead to an esophegus, how is that at all fair?

She is selfish!
Dawn.

Amanda
17-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm speechless.....:shock:

Donna
17-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Dont know what to say, really. gorgeous cat even with the deformity.

LMC
17-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm still with Rosie on this one.

You are all talking about that cat as if he has the same feelings and perceptions as a human. As much as we love our cats, they do NOT see things the same way we do.

Agree to a certain extent that "showing him off" is not very fair, but as I said in my post earlier - he will be LESS aware than a "deformed" or disabled human of the points and stares, so "so what?"

As for quality of life - he doesn't know any different. OK, so he sees like a horse and walks around in circles - but that is what he's used to.

He looks like a healthy happy and loved cat to me. Just because his deformity is obvious and unusual, how can we judge whether he has less quality of a life than a cat who has to have pills stuffed down it every day to stay alive (hyperthyroid, CRF) or has lost a limb?

EmmaG
17-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Got to agree with Rosie and LMC on this one, he "looks" like a very happy and healthy cat, apart from his disformaties.

samwise
17-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with Rosie, LMC and Emma G.
I think he looks a very happy and loved cat, though I do not agree with the way the woman shows him off in shops and treats him like a freak show!

Elaine
17-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with Rosie and LMC, the cat is unaware that he is any differnet, if he were in pain due to his deformaties then I may have a different view but he doesnt apear to be in pain and is loved.
Think his owner is wacko for taking him shopping. What owner would take any cat shopping, deformity or not.
If the cat were a child would you all be screaming PTS, I dont think so.

Naomi
17-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Totally different, you can not compare a cat with a child.

I think this is going to be a thread whereby everyone is going to have to agree to disagree, after all it is only personal opinions being expressed

borderdawn
18-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Its NOT a child, you cannot compare the 2, no comparison, you have a duty to your Pets, they are not freak shows there for public entertainment!
Dawn.

Kim
19-08-2006, 11:53 AM
He looks very healthy and happy to me and I would not consider pts unless his quality of life was seriously compromised. I certainly do not agree that the owner shouyld be taking him shopping though. :?

Elaine
20-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Ofcourse you have a duty to your pets and ofcourse he shouldnt be treated like a freak show, I never said that it was ok for the cat to be taken to the supermarket did I? No I didnt.
I can also make whatever comparisons I like, you dont have to like it or agree with it but please dont tell me what I CAN and CANNT do.

Patch
20-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I can't understand how anyone could let a blind dog or cat exist but people who have them say they are fine.

Just want to comment on this.

I am extremely offended by this particular comment. It insinuates strongly that people with blind pets are cruel.

My blind cat [ and mildly brain damaged ], does not just `exist` :smt091

She plays, runs around, does not bump into things because I took the time to let her know where everything is, bombed up and down stairs as fast and as safely as my other cats when I lived in a house which had stairs, [ all one level where I live now ], she is confident, mischievious, loving, and EXTREMELY HAPPY.

I also have three deaf dogs. One of those deaf dogs is also partially sighted and a tripod. They are all every bit as deserving of the content and very full lives that they have. One of my deaf dogs has been competing in agility for many years and loves it. One has recently started learning agility and loves it.

Saying what you said is cruel and demeaning to those of us who are far more enlightened about just how NORMAL animals with an `imperfection` are.

I am angry with myself for being a newbie here and coming on so strong, but to read the suggestion that animals like mine would be better off dead is sickening.

EmmaG
20-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Just want to comment on this.

I am extremely offended by this particular comment. It insinuates strongly that people with blind pets are cruel.

My blind cat [ and mildly brain damaged ], does not just `exist` :smt091

She plays, runs around, does not bump into things because I took the time to let her know where everything is, bombed up and down stairs as fast and as safely as my other cats when I lived in a house which had stairs, [ all one level where I live now ], she is confident, mischievious, loving, and EXTREMELY HAPPY.

I also have three deaf dogs. One of those deaf dogs is also partially sighted and a tripod. They are all every bit as deserving of the content and very full lives that they have. One of my deaf dogs has been competing in agility for many years and loves it. One has recently started learning agility and loves it.

Saying what you said is cruel and demeaning to those of us who are far more enlightened about just how NORMAL animals with an `imperfection` are.

I am angry with myself for being a newbie here and coming on so strong, but to read the suggestion that animals like mine would be better off dead is sickening.

Well said!!!

Mags
20-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Well said!!!
I'll second that!

Kim
20-08-2006, 11:29 PM
My dog Ben, became partially sighted and quite deaf as he aged, but he was a happy lad who enjoyed his walks, being in our company and a rub behind his ears. I would never have dreamed of having him pts. I believe cats and dogs who are deaf or blind can live happy lives. My cat Sidney is quite deformed, he was born like this and is the happiest cat with the sunniest disposition and loving nature I have ever met! He does look awkward when he eats and walks or runs and as he does not walk on his pads but on the sides of his feet he has several callouses. He knows no different, thank goodness he was not pts at birth. He looks very healthy, has a great appetite and generally loves life. Just because he is not considered 'normal' (whatever that may mean) does not mean he doesn't deserve his life.

dandysmom
21-08-2006, 02:07 AM
We obviously hsve strong dfferences of opinion about this cat. Lets agree to disagree...civilly and politely.

borderdawn
21-08-2006, 06:49 AM
There you go you all with "disabled " Cats said it. NONE of them behave abnormally! The blind Cat you speak of doesnt bang into things, this one does, he isnt blind but goes round in circles, why is that? certainly not because the Cat is living a normal life.

I dont know why people are offended, I have owned 2 blind dogs, one Lab with PRA, blind at 7 and a JRT with Glaucoma, one eye removed and blind in the other, and I didnt feel offended by anyones comments because its their opinion, I know a couple people who consider blind animals a real problem, I dont! I also dont consider deaf animals a problem, although a born deaf dog if in my care would be PTS as soon as it was apparent as I feel these dogs can be a liability, but certainly not dogs that go deaf over time.

This Cat is clearly brain damaged and was kept for no other reason that a spectacle and a talking point, cruel, selfish and it still disgusts me.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_198121619.html
Here is another one, already being mauled about and showed to all and sundry, these people should be ashamed of themselves, cant see how they can say they have any real feeling for the animal.
Dawn.

Rosie
21-08-2006, 08:46 AM
My other thread seems to have got lost. Anyway I apologise to anyone who thought I was saying that having a blind animal is cruel. What I was trying to say was that I used to think keeping a blind animals was cruel until I heard and spoke to people who had them and understood that in fact they had perfectly contented lives. Similarly I don't agree that an animal should be put to sleep because it has a deformity and although it's behaviour might not be totally "normal" it doesn't mean that the animal is suffering. Dogs that have wheels for back legs, three legged animals all have quality of life just because a cat walks round in circles doesn't mean it is not happy. The issues of it's owner being slightly batty is another thing!

Patch
21-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I also dont consider deaf animals a problem, although a born deaf dog if in my care would be PTS as soon as it was apparent as I feel these dogs can be a liability, but certainly not dogs that go deaf over time.

Excuse me, but its not deaf dogs which are the liabilities, its the so called humans who are clueless which some of these dogs end up with.

All three of mine were originally with people who did not realise the dogs were deaf - now thats pretty stupid of them imo.

Anyone knowingly selling or homing a deaf dog without making sure the new owner has a brain cell are the worst of the liabilities, NOT the dogs.

I really am astounded to read what you said above, its such surreal old fashioned thinking in this day and age :-/

Patch
21-08-2006, 01:50 PM
My other thread seems to have got lost. Anyway I apologise to anyone who thought I was saying that having a blind animal is cruel. What I was trying to say was that I used to think keeping a blind animals was cruel until I heard and spoke to people who had them and understood that in fact they had perfectly contented lives. Similarly I don't agree that an animal should be put to sleep because it has a deformity and although it's behaviour might not be totally "normal" it doesn't mean that the animal is suffering. Dogs that have wheels for back legs, three legged animals all have quality of life just because a cat walks round in circles doesn't mean it is not happy. The issues of it's owner being slightly batty is another thing!

Thank you for clarifying :)
My tripod dog swims in large circles btw, but thats cos his propulsion at the back end is not quite balanced :roll: but he does love to swim anyway ;)

I certainly admit to being slightly batty :smt048 :smt101
but not to the detriment of my crew at least ;)

borderdawn
21-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Excuse me, but its not deaf dogs which are the liabilities, its the so called humans who are clueless which some of these dogs end up with.

All three of mine were originally with people who did not realise the dogs were deaf - now thats pretty stupid of them imo.

Anyone knowingly selling or homing a deaf dog without making sure the new owner has a brain cell are the worst of the liabilities, NOT the dogs.

I really am astounded to read what you said above, its such surreal old fashioned thinking in this day and age :-/
WHAT are you on about? It is the responsible thing to do, a deaf dog is a liability, I am not speaking of dogs that go deaf, just those that are born deaf, the ones that end up in rescue for gods sake, the ones that have major behaviour problems, like yours for instance (not saying he should be PTS!) the ones that are untrainable to some extent, the ones you cant call back if they escape, the ones that bark insessently and cant hear you call to them, the ones that cant hear the Cars coming, you get my drift!!!!!!!!!:evil:
Dawn.

Patch
21-08-2006, 05:28 PM
WHAT are you on about? It is the responsible thing to do, a deaf dog is a liability,

No they are not. How they are handled is what makes them, or any other dog, a liability or not, whether they can hear or not is irrelent.

I am not speaking of dogs that go deaf, just those that are born deaf,

Mine were born deaf

the ones that end up in rescue for gods sake,

which mine did, thats where I got them from

the ones that have major behaviour problems, like yours for instance (not saying he should be PTS!)

Behavioural problems caused by humans can be put right by humans. The problems he came with have not been difficult to manage. The abuse he suffered is not because he is deaf but because his original owner was a moronic bullying idiot, too stupid to realise he had bought a deaf pup from an unscrupulous breeder. Hearing dogs suffer the same beatings and kickings as my lad did, because their owners are sick in the head, not because the dogs are imperfect or do anything wrong.
Put the abusers down, not the dogs which suffered through peoples ignorance and cruelty, whether the dog which was the victim can hear or not.

the ones that are untrainable to some extent,

All dogs of every breed, size, type, mix, are untrainable to some extent, or they would all be Obedience Champions.

The one of mine which was actually called `an untrainable imbecile`, by her previous owner, is not deaf....

All my dogs have been highly trainable, the deaf ones more so as it goes, being far more naturally observant and responsive.
One of mine, with no prior training for them, and at the age of 11 years old, got his Bronze and Silver in one weekend at a show last year. I only entered to see how he would do. He passed everything with flying colours.
I had never done retrieve with him either yet he learnt to retrieve and bring back perfectly within 20 minutes while I was bored at a show and used the time to see if he would do it.

the ones you cant call back if they escape,

There are plenty of hearing dogs with crap recall which escape. One of my deaf dogs, after an Obedience competition, was declared by the judge to have shown the best recall of the day.

the ones that bark insessently

Very few deaf dogs bark incessantly and if they do, same as a hearing dog, why are they being left to do so ?

and cant hear you call to them,

Hearing dogs in the distance cant hear when they are called. There are more ways to attract a dogs attention than just voice or sound. Its not rocket science !

the ones that cant hear the Cars coming,

No dog should be in a position to have to care about hearing a car coming. Where cars are around, dogs should be on lead, end of. One dog at a show I was at this week escaped after being attacked by two dogs. The dog then ran into a road and was hit by a car. Thankfully the dog is recovering but the fact remains that the dog which can hear was still hit by the car.

you get my drift!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Sadly yes.

Any time if you are around where I live, perhaps my deaf dogs might help you understand the things you are so misunderstanding of.
I would suggest - and I mean this politely, not nastilly - any time you get a deaf dog in, please send it to a rescue where there are people who do have a basic understanding of deafness in dogs so that those dogs can live the full lives they deserve.

Moli
21-08-2006, 07:03 PM
I have read these posts with interest, we all have our own opinions, I would have had that poor cat pts, rather than turn it into a freak show.....As for a deaf dog, I have trained a deaf dog and she turned out to be extremely clever....I personally would not put a deaf dog to sleep...Just my opinions...

Naomi
21-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Some of us think that the cat with 2 faces should be PTS, that dogs born deaf should be PTS, that animals which behave abnormally/quality of life is seriously compromised should be PTS, others think not. It's obvious that we all have differing opinions on when/why an animal should be PTS, it doesn't mean that the other person is wrong.

borderdawn
21-08-2006, 07:34 PM
To be perfectly honest with you Patch, I have no interest in in deaf dogs at all, but I do have a lot of experience in training an assessing dogs for various work. You told us your deaf dog is people fear aggressive, that in itself is a liability, but being so "understanding" I doubt it will be an issue for you :shock: :shock: just some normal folk may have problems.

We are discussing a Cat with 2 faces, I dont really have an interest in your opinion when clearly everybody that disagrees with it is wrong! If it were mine it would of been PTS, just like a puppy, if I had bred a deaf one it would be PTS, there are far too many in rescue now, without adding to it.
Dawn.

Patch
21-08-2006, 08:40 PM
You told us your deaf dog is people fear aggressive,

He is a human fear aggressive who happens to be deaf. There are countless fear aggressive dogs, some are not deaf believe it or not. The cause for the fear aggression is always the same though - humans.

that in itself is a liability,

No it isnt. Good management is all thats required. Before I got him he bit some people. Since I have had him, for nine years, he has bitten no one. Muzzles and good management on his behalf work wonders for bite prevention.

but being so "understanding" I doubt it will be an issue for you :shock: :shock:

You seem so scornful of anyone like me who actually gives a damn. That is very sad indeed.

just some normal folk may have problems.

Being understanding means I am not `normal` ?
If thats the case, then I`m very glad not to be `normal` !

We are discussing a Cat with 2 faces, I dont really have an interest in your opinion when clearly everybody that disagrees with it is wrong!

Have I given an opinion about that particular cat ?
I dont know the cat personally.
I have not seen the cat in its various environments.
I have not looked at the link because I dont want to jump to conclusions about it.
I am not in a position to judge whether or not that cat is distressed or suffering, therefore I have no right to give an opinion on that specific cat because it can not possibly be an informed one.

You have no idea what I am like as a person and how I do or do not feel about differing opinions, so `clearly` as you put it, is simply not the case.

If it were mine it would of been PTS, just like a puppy, if I had bred a deaf one it would be PTS,

Regardless of how much the imperfect animal may have a wonderful life without problems just because you have no understanding of them ?

there are far too many in rescue now, without adding to it.
Dawn.

Thats down to overbreeding, greed, carelessness, and various other human failings.

No one who is inexperienced in animals with `imperfections` should have ANY say in whether or not those animals should live or die.

I do not like being so blunt, however, you have chosen to be caustic and downright rude to me. If you dont want my opinions, please do not read anything I post.

Hardly a warm welcome to this forum !

Az
21-08-2006, 10:57 PM
This topic was always going to be an emotive one.

At the end of the day we all have different opinions on what is right and what the right thing to do is, but we shouldn't get cross, or get offended by others if their opinions differ - each to their own and no-one has a right to get stroppy if others don't subscribe to the same school of thought as them.

Clearly the woman that this thread is about felt she could give the cat a good life regardless of it's disability/difference. I don't think her taking it shopping is an issue - you can pretty much train an animal to be comfortable in all manner of situations if done correctly (and I doubt the cat would still be with her if it didn't feel comfortable - have you ever tried to restrain a cat that wants out?! :lol: ). Cindy Crawford takes her Bengal out for walks in Hype Park on a Lead - it's completely happy in that situation from what I've seen. (Personally I would prefer to take cats out on a lead if you live in the city then risk it getting run over by allowing it to go out - but thats just my opinion.)

Going back to the kitten being pts or not, well that's down to the individual and personal choice. Personally I can see both sides of the argument but in my view on this particular cat based on what I've seen in the film, so long as the cat is happy and not showing signs of distress that is the main thing... and going by the lick the woman gets at the end of that film I can't help but think he's glad to be alive.

borderdawn
22-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes it is a matter of opinion Az. Re restraing a Cat. If an animal has brain damage, particularly due to trauma, they often do go a bit "soft" if you like. my neighbours had a feisty Cat, that got hit by a Cat, it had brain swelling but recovered, his temperament changed considerably, he became placid, docile and largely unaware of the world, lived in his own little world, easy to handle but clearly mentally impaired to some extent.
Dawn.

Az
22-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes I appreciate that Dawn, but should you really try to second guess the mental state of the cat in this thread? (I can only assume you are as you posted the above to make a point). You cannot say the cat is brain damaged as you have no proof, and in all honestly there's no indication in the film to suggest so either. Thinking it is brain damaged loses you credence in your argument as it will transpire that your opinion is based on guess work rather than anything concrete.

I know it's very easy on the web to try and 'fill in the gaps' but we should always try to go on what we actually see/know - or if we are going to suggest further possibilities then we need to keep it in context... don't get vehemently behind a notion if it based on speculation for example - I know I wouldn't. :)

You may well have a valid point, and it really could be a possibility - but without more to go on it's all ifs and buts. Hope my post doesn't offend you! Just trying to highlight how easy it is to fall into this kind of thing on the web *hug*

borderdawn
22-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes I appreciate that Dawn, but should you really try to second guess the mental state of the cat in this thread? (I can only assume you are as you posted the above to make a point). You cannot say the cat is brain damaged as you have no proof, and in all honestly there's no indication in the film to suggest so either. Thinking it is brain damaged loses you credence in your argument as it will transpire that your opinion is based on guess work rather than anything concrete.

I know it's very easy on the web to try and 'fill in the gaps' but we should always try to go on what we actually see/know - or if we are going to suggest further possibilities then we need to keep it in context... don't get vehemently behind a notion if it based on speculation for example - I know I wouldn't. :)

You may well have a valid point, and it really could be a possibility - but without more to go on it's all ifs and buts. Hope my post doesn't offend you! Just trying to highlight how easy it is to fall into this kind of thing on the web *hug*
Take more than that to offend me Az, you know I say what I mean! :-D

Listening to the owner saying the cat walks in circles, and i will say again tolerates being walked through a shopping centre, to me does not equate to "normal" feline behaviour. I am sure there was nother article on this Cat some time ago which told of more "issues" but I cant for the life of me find it!:? It mentioned a lot of problems with ops the Cat needed to eat etc.. aswell.

I cant be accused of not liking "disabled" animals, I have had my fair share, my Dobermann that I rescued was a "wobbler" walked like he had drunk a bottle of whiskey :-D so what, he was a star! (called Rocky too!!) I also mentioned I had 2 blind dogs, I also had a deaf Cat, a white one born that way and was from the CPL before I was born!! He was in there because of an RTA and was hit twice more, but still lived over 15yrs!!

We all have different viewpoints I agree but personally I see a Cat living in misery and there only for its owners gain.
Dawn.

Az
22-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Glad you didnt take offence - I think your a big pussy cat really :) All soft on the inside even if you do sometimes have a harsh exterior :lol:

I think this is the bit that people are locking horns with you with:

...but personally I see a Cat living in misery and there only for its owners gain.

I don't think people agree with that. Tbh it doesn't look like it's living in misery to me either, and regarding it walking round the room to get it's bearing, is that just because the eyes are wide apart (like a horses), and perhaps could even further be likened to a blind person feeling a room to get their own bearings. I guess some people think it's not exactly misery, a bit of a pain yes, but not a miserable existance because of it.

Personally, I also, don't think the woman is getting anything out of it - to me she looks like shes telling the world she loves her cat even if it is a bit different... just like a person would with their disabled child. I know many of us get attached to our pets like their our own so can appreciate that fully.

Maybe if I had more information about them I'd see things differently but I'm only going on what I saw in that vid :)

borderdawn
22-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Glad you didnt take offence - I think your a big pussy cat really :) All soft on the inside even if you do sometimes have a harsh exterior :lol:

I think this is the bit that people are locking horns with you with:

I don't think people agree with that. Tbh it doesn't look like it's living in misery to me either, and regarding it walking round the room to get it's bearing, is that just because the eyes are wide apart (like a horses), and perhaps could even further be likened to a blind person feeling a room to get their own bearings. I guess some people think it's not exactly misery, a bit of a pain yes, but not a miserable existance because of it.

Personally, I also, don't think the woman is getting anything out of it - to me she looks like shes telling the world she loves her cat even if it is a bit different... just like a person would with their disabled child. I know many of us get attached to our pets like their our own so can appreciate that fully.

Maybe if I had more information about them I'd see things differently but I'm only going on what I saw in that vid :)
Yeah I agree with that to an extent, but Horses dont go circling in rooms, so why should this Cat, and moreso when it knows where it is? If it "sees like a Horse" as she says, it should have much better vision than any Cat or us and will be able to see almost completely 360 degrees, thats one thing that leads me to believe it has some brain damage.

Animals with brain damage, like people behave very differently, classically with animals, they become placid and docile, thats what I see.
Dawn.

Az
22-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Without further information/fact I wouldn't really speculate - but do appreciate where you are coming from (and hope you can see how I saw how happy the cat was towards the end of the film licking it's owners face :)). I guess we'll never really know the truth about that cat - but least the topic has led us to explore our own boundaries if we'd ever be faced with something similar.

Naomi
23-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I think there is a link to the newspaper article written about the cat on the video page.

Booktigger
23-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I've just read this post from start to finish, and not really sure what I think - I dont think pts is the way to go though. Our other fosterer had a 20 yo Persian that at first glance you thought 'god, she is cruel' - yet spend 5 mins with her, and she showed what a zest for life she had (She has sadly been pts since), and she now has a disabled kitten that you think 'aww, how sad' when you see her walking, but the vet monitored her before agreeing that she was fine to be rehomed (and the kitten had been taken to be pts cos of this 'tremor'). So, what I am saying is appearances can be deceptive, and I am not sure you can make that judgement from an internet video clip. He might have more issues walking, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a good quality of life, and taking the teeth out of his spare mouth isn't that big a deal. And I can't see how him allowing to be carried through shopping centres shows anything wrong with him - they could have been doing this since he was a kitten, so it could be normal to him. No way, I would try it, and no idea why anyone would, but I have read people on American forums taking the cats to the petstore.

Nicola
23-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't see why he should have been put to sleep. He seems healthy and happy.

sweetmimi
05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Looking at the way this cat was licking his owner at the end of the video I have to say he looks a happy chappy to me. If she wants to take him shopping so what a lot of Americans do that with their cat in a little shoulder bag rather like some of the celebs take a dog.
I would not have put this little one to sleep who can judge if he is brain damaged or not I for one cant as I dont have enough information to start with.
No one has any proof that the cat is brain damamged in any case. Remember the old saying "unless you walk in a persons shoes you cant really know "
My friend has a cat who when he was a kitten walked into one of those stand mirrors that swing and he hit his head on it, He is brain damaged now but that was 8 years ago, and he still plays and runs around with the other 3 cats and he has a wonderful life so should he have been put to sleep I dont think so Just my opnion of course and I respect peoples opinions that differ from mine.

JemBob
25-09-2006, 03:48 PM
if it's health not in pain and is loved then I think its fine to live its nartual life.