PDA

View Full Version : Frontline and Fleas

Donna
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Over the last couple of days Misty and Chloe seem extra itchy. Misty under her chin mainly is where she is scratching and licking herself a lot on her sides and back. Chloe is scratching around her collar area more than usual.

Question being - can cats get fleas even using Frontline?

Never used this before and have never had a problem with fleas. Used to use the flea collars which I know not many people on here like, but in the flea collar's defence - my cats have never had a flea :D

Can you do the Frontline wrong? Can I put more on them before the next dose is due?

How do you test for your cats having fleas. Never seen one so dont know what I am looking for and the cats wont let me hold them long enough for me to have a good rummage in their fur!:roll:

Fran
03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Have you seen any flea dirt where they lie Donna? It looks like small grains of dirt and if you put it on a wet piece of kitchen towel it turns to a blood staining? Not sure about using Frontline more often than recommended - think that's a question for your vet but you could try an alternative product like stronghold. Not surprising the fleas are rife with the hot weather we have had of late :?

Mags
03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Donna, have you noticed any black specs on them? If you run a comb through them then tap the comb onto some damp kitchen roll, any black specs will turn red which is ingested blood. That means there is a flea or two on them......

Donna
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I havent seen anything like that Fran but where would I find it? I wont use more Frontline as it is a medicine of sorts. But just dont understand how they can have fleas if they have Frontline on.

Donna
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Donna, have you noticed any black specs on them? If you run a comb through them then tap the comb onto some damp kitchen roll, any black specs will turn red which is ingested blood. That means there is a flea or two on them......

Misty is black so no chance of spotting anything on her :roll: and Chloe is dark mostly so again hard to see. I ran a comb through Misty from her collar down her back and looked at the comb and didnt see anything on there, but dont really know what i am expecting to see:roll:

Fran
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I havent seen anything like that Fran but where would I find it? I wont use more Frontline as it is a medicine of sorts.

The easiest place to spot it is where they have been layed for a while Donna

Fran
03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
How long is it since you used the Frontline Donna and did you use the spray or the spot ons?

Donna
03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
How long is it since you used the Frontline Donna and did you use the spray or the spot ons?

24th July and was the spot on. Wonder if I am doing it correctly as some of the stuff went on their fur and not skin as they wriggle so much:?

Fran
03-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I was just wondering if it was within the last few days as they often scratch quite a lot for a few days after application particularly if they have quite an infestation but I would expect that since it is a little while since you used it this would not apply. There isn't much in the little vials of the spot on so I suppose that it is quite important to get as much of it as you can on the skin not the hair. Perhaps try a different spot on next time?

Donna
04-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Has anyone else had a cat that has got fleas even though you have used Frontline?

logoes
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't know if you have them where you live, but up here (south Cumbria) we get Harvest Mites, this is the time of year when they start to appear, they can be VERY irritating both to animals and humans. Check for what looks like orange pollen between toes, under collars, ears , etc, and if you find any the best idea is to go to the vet, I think there is now something that can either help/prevent the problem but not sure. In the past we have had to have the dogs/cats treated with steroids to suppress the itching. Some animals, like some people, are not affected at all. Logoes

ruby
12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
hi, not until this year, i use frontline pump spray from the vets , the best thing in my opinion is using a flea comb i give my five cats a quick comb twice a day. they love the fuss as they are all silly daft. i spray the house ,vac daily etc , but this year ive not known anything like this.

Jules
12-09-2006, 10:02 PM
24th July and was the spot on. Wonder if I am doing it correctly as some of the stuff went on their fur and not skin as they wriggle so much:?

Have you checked how long it lasts? Some of them only last 1 month.

The weather doesn't help.

Donna
12-09-2006, 10:07 PM
All seems to have settled down now. Me being panicky I think. Still NEVER seen a flea so not sure what I would be looking for, but the cats seem ok.

Misty is still a little cow when I put the drops on. She shook them all off the last time!!