PDA

View Full Version : Bones off to the vet today

Samz5
28-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Well I've only been signed up here for one day and yesturday I noticed Bones (the one with Kidney disease) has runny slightly bloody poo, poor thing, hes booked in for 2.30 today so we'll hopefully see whats up with him, do you think it could be that we changed his food recently?
He needed another dental check up anyway and I suspect he'll need more teeth out, hes already had most of them out in the last 5 years, the vet says he's just unlucky & some cats just get bad teeth, if he needs another operation for removing teeth I may just say to take the rest out (I think he only has about 5 left) hes 12 and with his health problems it might be better to just get rid of them rather than wait until they rot again.

Sweet
28-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I hope all goes ok with Bones at the Vet x

Kim
28-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Hope its nothing too serious, let us know how Bones get on.

Hreow
28-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Some cats can be very sensitive to a change in food. Rover is - also gets the same symptoms. If I want to change his diet (as in now from kitten to cat-food), I have to do it very gradually. First just a smidge of the new with the old, then two smidges etc. Takes me about a week to get him on the new (normally I think they recommend two days?). I'm giving him two weeks to get "upgraded" from kitten-food to cat-ditto. I spend more time getting his meal right than ours. :grin: Different foods also do different things to different cats - just like people have their allergies and sensitive tums.

Samz5
28-07-2006, 03:24 PM
The vet thinks it could be the food too, but Bones had a antibiotic injection and has some kind of penicillin (Clavaseptin) tablets to take & some special food too.
Also he emptied the anal glands because they were full too (because hes had the runs).
We'll keep an eye on him over the next few days and hopefully that will be it.

He's got to go back in four months for more blood tests on his kidneys but the vet seems pleased with how hes looking so thats good. So far every test hes had on his kidneys showed they haven't got any worse than when we first discovered/started treating them Fortekor seems to be doing the trick.
Oh and his 2 back teeth had plaque all over them but the vet picked it right off and the teeth are still ok, hes only got 4! So all in all not a bad vet visit (although my purse disagrees!)

Sweet
28-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I am glad Bones is back home and on the road to recovery x

Samz5
28-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Me too, but I've just noticed Tango has the runs too now but hes litterally leaking from his but and I don't think hes noticed it! Phoned the vets back, the vet I saw has gone but hes booked in for 5pm with a different vet and will probably have the same injection and tablets to take as well as more food, I have to go to work but my bf will take him and ask about the cats and what happens if they all get it!

Fran
28-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh dear, I hope that it isn't a bug that is going to sweep the household :? Hope both Bones and Tango will be feeling better soon..

dandysmom
28-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh dear, I certainly hope it isn't something that's going to run through the family! Poor guys, keep us posted.

Samz5
29-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Well thankfully Tango is feeling better after his injection and his tummy has calmed down, I was quite worried last night as he seemed quite dehydrated but is looking better today.
Bad news is it wasn't the food, Mitz doesn't eat the same foods as the others and she has come down with it today as has Rags, and Courtney isn't acting her usual self either but no signs of the runs for her yet.
Neither vet seemed that bothered about it so I guess just plenty of TLC for them over the next few days and they should be ok, I will have to keep a close eye on Mitz, Rags and Courtney because they haven't got the medication Bones and Tango have, hopefully won't have to call out the emergency vet!

tilly
23-08-2006, 09:14 PM
He needed another dental check up anyway and I suspect he'll need more teeth out, hes already had most of them out in the last 5 years, the vet says he's just unlucky & some cats just get bad teeth, if he needs another operation for removing teeth I may just say to take the rest out (I think he only has about 5 left) hes 12 and with his health problems it might be better to just get rid of them rather than wait until they rot again.
Don't worry my cat has also got very bad teeth she has these things called neck leassions which rot through her teeth. She has also only got about 10 left. Last time they asked me if I wanted them all out but I thought I would hang on for a bit as she was only 8 (she is 9 now). I hope Bones kidney problem is OK and he gets better soon. Some cats zare just sicker more than others. Tilly is also deaf and a Virus carrier ( so she sneezes all the time and get runny eyes if she is left sneezing for too long.She then has to be given antibiotics to boost her health help from time to time. So I know alot about always going to the vets.

All the best and I hope bones is better soon.

Tilly

meme
24-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Hope all the cats get better soon x

whiskey
24-08-2006, 02:00 PM
hope your kittys feel better soon:D :D :D

Samz5
24-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone, in the end 4 out of 5 cats ended up with the tummy bug but it all cleared up after a week and they're back to normal now.
I always panic and start thinking the worse when they get ill, having never had a cat reach 10 years old I know I'm lucky to have 5 make it to old age together!

dandysmom
24-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Glad to hear they're all on the mend; it's so distressing when they're ill! And 10 isn't really old...early middle age! As to teeth. my Misty had lost most of hers by the time she was 16, but could gum her food as if she still had them; she died at 19 1/2!