PDA

View Full Version : Polly, the passing of my oldest friend..

Luke
27-07-2006, 05:52 PM
It pains me very much to announce this, but today we let Polly pass onto 'rainbow bridge'.
As you all will know she has been quite unwell for some time now-even before i joined DW, but she allways remained 'stable'. This year she has deteriorated (sp) somewhat...and about a month or so ago (i forget exactlly when), our dear vet advised us to let the old girl go as she was at a point where it was known she could not imrpove healthwise-supposedlly due to the pain and discomfort she was experiencing, and the fact she wasn't "all there" upstairs had lead to her becoming somewhat viscious towards people and other animals. She had accute heart failiure (if i recall correctlly-ad crippling arthritus, and a few other things but i can't remember them at present). None would improve but the medication could keep her soldiering on. Selfishlly, we demanded more tests done...didn't really show us anything new-but the vet said if we really wished to, he would try her on some new stronger meds for various things and change her dosage of what she was already on, it seeminglly worked-but today she was most unwell-she had a sorta convulsing episode i guess you would describe it as, and once she had laid down she couldn't get back up...and she was heavily panting (most distressing to see).
So i rang my godmother (as ma and everyone else has gone on holiday this week-typical!) and then rnag the vet..both of whom came ASAP to the house. Our vet simply told us Polly's heart was failing and....this was it. Polly was eased from her pain at 2 oclock, lying on the rug with Clementine next to her cleaning her nose...and Florrie and Ralph looking on from a distance....within a few moments, she was gone.
It was very peacefull and very dignified and exactlly how i would have wanted my old lady to have gone....however, she had to be the infamous nasty piece of work she was and decided to bite me when i sat down next to her just before she was let go:roll::lol: typical Polly-had to go out with a boom. And now forever more, whenever i hear 'Be My baby-The Ronettes' i shall probably burst into tears...as that was playing on the radio in the car as me godma and i took Polly 'to her last resting place'.
We are very sad, and although we knew that, even with her *new meds* and such, she wouldn't be with us forever more...it just doesn't make things any easier-does it?
We took Polly to the vets surgery to be cremated-i stated i didn't wish for her ashes back-sounds heartless, but i really wouldn't think it would help.
So....its the end of an era-she has gone on to more than this..where she won't be in pain any further. The house is very quiet...Florrie has retreated to her bed and Ralph n Clementine are just sitting very patientlly on the bottom step...as if waiting for her to come home.
Our vet was very compasionate and really helped things not seem so hard.
I would like to thank everyone on CP who has been so very supportive to me of late concerning Polly.
My favourite picture of my old girl from a while back...she looked so healthy and happy then!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Lu-1/All%20pets/Picture298.jpg
See-so full of life, but even then the pain was starting to creep into those soulful eyes...
Next thing is a video montage...that sums up the ol' girl pretty well. I was searching for some truly old photos (pre digital) of ehr with the old staffie mob...and some of me n her, but bleedin scanner wouldn't work! So only a few "oldies" from when i scanned them for posting on here ages ago....very fitting song too i think!:) (Please note-how in some of these pics how she had truly changed in appearence...terrible)
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Lu-1/?action=view&current=Pollymontage1.flv

So...guess it's time to rap it up? Otherwise i shall be rambling all night..
Rest In Peace Polly-you were there through thick and thin, the good and the bad...allways there to cheer me up, usually stuck to my side! I shall miss you terribly..but it wasn't fair to keep you here anymore, and you really weren't yourself lately...so i hope you are now in a better place, and until we meet again-farewell my old friend.
My apologies for a long post, and for the post being a bit "all over the place", but just feel...well, as to be expected i guess:?

Moli
27-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear this Luke....
She is now at peace and without pain.....
Run Free little girl....xx

janey83
27-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Awww, she was such a lovely lady.
The video made me cry but its lovely how you've do it.
R.I.P Polly. Bless.

Moli
27-07-2006, 06:16 PM
The video is lovely Luke, very fitting tribute to a very special girl.....

yola
27-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Luke love, I'm so sorry you've lost your darling Polly. Your wonderfully-worded tribute has me in tears . . . and of course, you don't need to be reminded that you carried out that final act of love and kindness for your precious dog in the most selfless manner.

I will come back when composed to view your link.

Kazz
27-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear this Luke. RIP Polly.

Mags
27-07-2006, 06:48 PM
So very sorry to hear this Luke, she is now resting peacefully free from all pain.....

RIP Polly....x

Fran
27-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this news Luke :(

RIP Polly x

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Rainbowbridge.jpg

Mags
27-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I have just watched your beautiful tribute to Polly, Luke......it brought a lump to my throat....what a lovely memory for you to keep....
Take care x

logoes
27-07-2006, 08:12 PM
My heart goes out to you Luke, the worst thing about having fourfooted friends is that you have to part with them far too soon.

As to you not wanting her ashes back I would like to quote you this message that John Galsworthy wrote after the death of his beloved dog -

" No stone stands over where he lies, it is on our hearts that his life is
engraved."

Logoes

Hreow
27-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Brave girl, with so much courage you wouldn't believe it would fit into her small form. She will have left a huge black hole in your life that will take some time to fill with memories. I'm so sorry for you loss! Even when you're prepared and can say goodbye, it's very very hard to do so.

dandysmom
27-07-2006, 08:40 PM
A beautiful and moving tribute to Polly, may she rest in peace. Hard, so hard to do that last act of love......

Kim
27-07-2006, 09:42 PM
So sorry Luke, it is very hard to lose such a faithful friend. Such a lovely tribute to her, it is obvious how much she meant to you.

I understand totally about you not wanting her ashes back. Obviously it is a very personal decision, but like you I did not want Ben & Daisy's ashes, I wanted to remember them as the dogs they were. RIP Polly. {{hugs}} to you Luke. x

Luke
27-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks All...well tonight i took Ralph out for a walk (florrie still in season so a no no) and we walked through our beloved sowe valley...where i've walked with the dogs for so many years now, and i could still see Polly chasing rabbits through the high grass and racing around like a fruit loop in her prime...and so many memories came back to me. We even visited the spot where the fallen tree had once been that Polly had her accident on all those moons ago... it was all very emotional. Then came back home and saw to everyones dinner and clean outs...and then moved Polly's bowls and bed away...just felt odd to leave them out.
It was so very strange to settle down this evening to watch a bit of TV without her on my knee...and so odd not to see her waddling around the house..

Luke
27-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Also-i'm glad you liked the tribute, and there could only be one song right:)

Moli
27-07-2006, 10:13 PM
The music was perfect Luke....

Luke
28-07-2006, 07:55 AM
The music was perfect Luke....
Thanks Pat!:)

Sweet
28-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Luke, at this mo in time words fail me, I am very proud you let Polly go and in no pain anymore - take care and the pics made me cry too x

R.I.P. Polly x x x

Naomi
28-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Luke I'm so sorry to hear about Polly :(

She's happy and pain free now

Jac
28-07-2006, 12:24 PM
So sorry Luke. You did the right thing for her. (((((((()))))))) hugs

dinahsmum
03-08-2006, 07:44 AM
So sorry Luke. The pain will go and the happy memories will prevail. x
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Luke
03-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Ladies-its exactlly a week ago today...feels so very strange..