PDA

View Full Version : How are your cats coping with the heat?

dinahsmum
24-07-2006, 12:16 PM
One normally thinks that cats do not understand the phrase 'too hot'. However, I think they are starting to find it a bit much. Mini doesn't mind, and lies on the bench under the parasol quite happily. It is too hot for the kittens though - they don't like to be out in the heat of the day, and if they are outside will head off under a wall or in a bush. Early and late, when cooler, is fine!
What about yours? Have you noticed changes?

Moli
24-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Leo goes out for his morning pee, then its straight back under a bed for the day, Merlin is sleeping in the long grass, not sure where the other two are, it doesn't seem to make any difference to the three young ones....They are drinking a lot of water though...

yola
24-07-2006, 12:46 PM
They seem to move far less in this heat!!! :D

Fifi will lie in the draught from open windows (which I leave open during the day as they're difficult for blaggers to access). She will go outside but once there will lie under the conifers in the shade without moving all day. She's a lazy old bird at the best of times :D

Balie doesn't seem to be too affected by the heat . . . either in or out it's pretty much business as usual for him :roll:

Darcy . . . difficult to gauge as I haven't allowed him out since his op. He tends to lie around in the basement, either on the desk, in the cat basket or in the basket of the new pushchair (daft cat) :-D :-D :-D

Mags
24-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Cassie will usually sleep for hours in her cool cat grass tray in the shade:roll:......she doesn't realise she was meant to nibble on it:D.....it has now moulded to her shape!!:lol:

Other than that, she will find some shade in the garden or come back indoors.

She is now 'drinking' plenty of water thanks to Kazz's great tip about adding it to her food.

The only problem I have with her now is trying to get her back indoors at night.......she loves these balmy evenings......

Luke
24-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Clementine did an ungodly thing...she actually tottered through the dogs paddling pool as it was so hot!!

yola
24-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Clementine did an ungodly thing...she actually tottered through the dogs paddling pool as it was so hot!!

And where were you with the camera Luke?? That would have been a sight to behold!!

Domi dropped Darcy in his paddling pool last year . . . my fault, I said faceteously 'Darcy's hot? Put him in the pool' Whoops one VERY miffed kitty ;)

Donna
24-07-2006, 07:27 PM
My two do the "lets lay as flat as we possibly can on the carpet" pose AKA Misty pose! Looks like a RTA!!!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/donnamcg/July22001.jpg

Excuse the mess - was in the middle of a tidy up!

Snoof
24-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Mine have barely been inside the house - basically they come over occasionally to eat, but if they lie in J's backyard she'll bring them boiled chicken :roll: So they much prefer doing that...

Kazz
24-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Cleo sleeps through the day - nothing unusual there I hear you say - but in the evenings she is outside she too loves the balmy evenings.

dandysmom
24-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Unbelievable!! I have never ever heard of a cat who would voluntarily enter water....sure she isn't sufering from heat stroke...???:roll:

dandysmom
24-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Leia hasn't really altered her behaviour at all: in the Winter she spends most of the day sleeping in the warmest spot she can find; now she spends the day sleeping in the coolest spot she can find...interrupted by breakfast, lunch snacks, teatime snacks, dinner and late night snacks, plus the obligatory wash-up after!! And the pre-bedtime brushing, catnip and romp!

LMC
24-07-2006, 09:26 PM
My kitchen has a luvverly cool ceramic floor... with four cat shape and size rugs. It's like an obstacle course :lol:

I put plenty of water out - bowls all over the house and one in the garden and leave them to find the coolest spot they can.