PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour has got a dog..

Donna
22-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Well my next door neighbour has just taken on a rescue dog from the local dog shelter. He seems quite shy and very quiet so far. :)

Since the dog got to his new home yesterday afternoon, Chloe has not gone outside. She is pacing the house with a fluffy tail and being spooked by everything :roll:

Misty has taken it all very well and is more curious and sneaks looks at the dog from under the fence, but what should I do about Chloe?

Will she come round in her own time, or how can I make her feel better about this new dog that has appeared. :?

Up until now they have never seen a dog :roll:

CathyW
22-07-2006, 05:40 PM
chloe will get used to her new neighbour, she wont be going into their garden for any visits, but she might sit on the fence just to tease the dog. but she will settle down, my 2 live with a dog and it took reggie a couple of days to become pals with ben, it took ronnie a bout 2 weeks, now they all live happily ever after, (my dog thinks hes a cat shhh dont tell him u know)

borderdawn
22-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Leave her alone Donna, dont push her, nor try to encourage her, let her deal with the new dog in her own time, Im sure she will be fine.
Dawn.

Donna
22-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks both. Was thinking she will realise the dog is not coming into the house soon enough!! Although she has now left me a little smelly present in the bathroom so is now not using her litter tray :-(

CathyW
22-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks both. Was thinking she will realise the dog is not coming into the house soon enough!! Although she has now left me a little smelly present in the bathroom so is now not using her litter tray :-(oh shes not happy is she does she do her *biz* in the neighbours garden or near the fence??

Donna
23-07-2006, 08:24 AM
No she has always used the litter tray. Occasionally she may have used the border near the neighbours fence but it is too full of plants now to really go there anymore. She seemed bit better last night once the back door was shut up for the night but is very spooked again this morning now it is open again!

Edited: I have just caught her peeing in the bathroom - about 2 meters from her litter tray. Cant understand why she has stopped using it altogether when the litter tray is in the kitchen nearer the back door than the bathroom is :-(

Hreow
23-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Because she daren't use the litter-tray as it is too close to the horrors of the open back door where the enemy is poised to strike. Give her a temporary tray in the bathroom until she gains confidence? You could use one of those disposable roasting-trays for now if you have one at home, or any litter-tray like thing, with cat-litter in it.

Donna
23-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Have put a litter tray in the bathroom. It is getting rather annoying that for two years nearly my cats have lived happily in my house and enjoyed my garden. Now next door has moved in and got a dog and they cant even go in their own garden. The back door has been shut all day to calm Chloe down and I am boiling hot. The dog is pacing the fence as he knows there is somehting on the other side and has jumped at the fence to look over.

NOT a good day :-(

dinahsmum
24-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Could you ask your neighbours if they mind you squirting a water pistol/washing up liquid bottle squeezy at the dog when he's hounding?
Time will help Chloe; hope you will be able to be patient with her - poor thing, her secure world has been turned upside down and she needs a little time to calm down and adjust.

yola
24-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Donna - poor you (with your dislike of dogs anyway), and poor Chloe. I hope things settle and the dog doesn't try to intimidate your cats too much :(

I would hate to have a dog move next to me . . . my Mum has a neighbour with a dog, and although the cat's OK with it, it always makes me nervous as it's a big dog and I have visions of it jumping the fence.

Hugs to you all.

Donna
24-07-2006, 01:07 PM
This dog WILL jump the fence. It can easily stand on its back legs and look over. It has jumped at the fence a couple of times. It races back and forth along the fence if any one is in my garden and the cats are going loopy. It is my fence so I suppose I will have to pay for a higher fence no doubt.

I am so fed up of the whole situation. I can see myself falling out with the neighbour over this.

yola
24-07-2006, 01:26 PM
That's awful - I really feel for you. You could ask that they restrain the dog as you fear it will jump the fence and that your children are frightened. Also if it's throwing itself against it, again can you not ask for it to be restrained in case he damages your fence?

Best not bring the cats into the equation as far as conversations with the neighbour are concerned - some dog owners feel their dogs have a god-given right to chase cats :?

Donna
24-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Before he got the dog he said if it caused a problem with my cats he would not keep it. Now he is saying it is "here till I die".

He might raise the fence, but then again - it is my fence - I might not want a 6ft fence. But I do not get a choice. Its that or the dog gets in my garden. So soon after the incident with Sean and his friend who got attacked by a dog.

This is all doing my head in.:cry:

Rosie
24-07-2006, 02:45 PM
You don't have to raise the fence at all the best solution would be if your neighbours put a 2ft overhang of wire fencing their side. Believe me when I say this totally stops dogs jumping over. When they jump up their heads come into contact with the wire and they are not going anywhere. It is quite simple and inexpensive to do. Also if your cats are on the fence it would stop them accidentally falling off into the neighbours garden. I have got a dog as well as two cats and the neighbourhood cats respect her territory so there are never any problems, just give it time.

John
23-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Why not try a lenght of trellis on top of your fence ..will give you about an extra 2ft in hieght

john

Donna
23-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Well time has moved on and the next door neighbour has added loads of trellis to MY fence. Came home from work and he had just put it up. Looks a bit of an eyesore to be honest but suppose its better than the dog getting into my garden and me worrying about it biting or scaring anyone/thing.

The cats have got to realise it is not coming into our garden at the moment so sneak out into the garden. They are still very scared and walk really low to the ground trying not to be noticed but the dog paces up and down the fence as soon as you open the back door.

The whole time I am sorting the rabbit out (which takes a fair few minutes every day) the dog is pacing up and down jumping up and hiting the fence. It has not got over yet.

Think my neighbour feels happy the dog paces so much as he doesnt need to take it out for a walk :roll: :roll:

Moli
23-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Think my neighbour feels happy the dog paces so much as he doesnt need to take it out for a walk :roll: :roll:

Thats ridiculous! why did he get a dog in the first place....If he exercised the dog it wouldn't race up and down the fence....
Hope your cats settle Donna, its horrible when everything is fine, then something like this spoils it!!

Donna
23-08-2006, 07:46 PM

Thats ridiculous! why did he get a dog in the first place....If he exercised the dog it wouldn't race up and down the fence....
Hope your cats settle Donna, its horrible when everything is fine, then something like this spoils it!!

Thanks Moli

The neighbour actually encourages the dog to race and up and down the path and says things like "thats your exercise for today" and "saves me going up the park" and "keep going Ben". He thinks he is enjoying being stuck in the garden. But I feel a bit uneasy with the dog constantly stalking me in the garden:cry:

dandysmom
23-08-2006, 08:40 PM
What an unpleasant situation; as one who's afraid of dogs, I really sympathize with you...must be so unnerving when you're out with the rabbit having it charge the fence like that! Your poor cats! I suppose they'll eventualy get used to it, but it's not a happy time for them now. My vet said once that inapropriate defeceation/urination is a sign of stress ...hope the litter tray in the bathroom helps!

Kim
23-08-2006, 08:53 PM
How ridiculous - I really can't understand why people get dogs if they can't be bothered to take them for walks. :? Poor dog, he must be so bored stuck in the garden. :(

Moli
23-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe the rescue it came from should know how it is being treated...

Jules
24-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Hello

Just read this and OMG! you have to report this, you cannot treat a dog like that, i have 3 cats and a puppy all the cats were unhappy when we brought the pup home, the kitten had never been further than the garden but when the dog came he left home for 2 days, but in time they have all got used to each other and now they are all fine.

After a nice long walk the dog can't be bothered to chase the cats and if he does we are here to teach him what he can and cant do, the kitten usually ambushes him while he's sleeping.

If this dog is not being excercised properley then he has to amuse himself somehow.

Sounds like cruelty to me and a call to the rescue is definately needed before someone gets hurt, including the dog!

Moli
24-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Think that is the way to go Donna, give the rescue a ring...Makes you wonder if they assessed this person before they got the dog, and if they had homechecked would have seen the fence was not big enough....Really hope it can be resolved, and you and your cats can settle down again...

Jules
24-08-2006, 10:53 AM
If this guy was a REAL animal lover he would be just as concerned for your cats too, sounds like he couldn't give a damn about any of them. He shouldn't have an animal at all!!!!

Donna
24-08-2006, 12:32 PM
He is an older man on his own suffering from depression. A guy down the road took him to the rescue as he thought he might feel better having a dog as a companion.

I dont know where this will go TBH, I suppose he has a right to have a dog as much as I have a right to have cats - but to have a largish dog in a built up area with small gardens seems a bit daft to me.

Samz5
25-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your neigbour problems, I've experienced a similar problem with my next door neighbours, about 6 months after we moved to our house they got a Jack Russel puppy, at the time we had a small broken wire fence between our gardens, my cats were less than happy about it, and ended up staying indoors as much as possible.

We put up a high fence that week but 3 years later the dog still endlessly barks at the cats whenever she hears the catflap or the cats scratching the trees or anything, its very annoying but the cats have learnt over time that the dog can't get to them so they seem relaxed about it really, and quite often when I hear the dog barking for 5 mins non stop I look out and see one of my cats on the shed/fence or in one of the top windows just looking down at her with a smug look :-D.

I guess I'm lucky its just a little dog really, something else thats similar though is they don't seem to walk the dog, its usually just out in the yard all day and evening, this summer holiday though they must have been taking her out more because we've hardly seen her and when we have noticed her in the yard she is very quiet and doesn't even bother barking at the cats (its been a great ), maybe your neighbours dog needs to burn off some energy & then it might loose interest in the cats, if the owner isn't capable or can't be bothered to excersise the dog and give it the stimulation it needs it will probably carry on.

I would definatly concider reporting him to the rescue place, if its making your life difficult and the dog is missing some of the basic care giving it needs what choice do you have? Even if hes depressed its no excuse to not walk a dog, yes he has a right to have a dog IF its looked after properly.

Kim
25-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Walking the dog might even help his depression. I find a good long walk with Caleb great therapy!!

Donna
25-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Well the dog walking idea is great for depression as most people want to hide away from people. So to have to go out with the dog is a way to get some fresh air and meet like minded people - something next door could well do with!!

Dont want to fall out with him so will try a strong hint the next time i see him.

borderdawn
25-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Its a very sticky situation Donna, it must be difficuly, upseting your neighbours is awful, you have to live next to them! Being tactful can also helpful, (says the person who's tact is 0%!:-D ) I wish you luck.
Dawn.

Donna
10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Remember this story???

Well the neighbour has now got rid of the dog back to the rescue as "it was too boisterous". Glad the dog is no longer there, but feel sorry for it as it has not had a good life so far.

Also now informs me that after being in the house less than a year and spending thousands changing it and doing it up to his style he is moving.

Just dont think this man has a clue what he wants!!

Mags
10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Sounds like good news all round Donna!:lol:

I hope the dog gets some good owners who will be able to train it better though.....

dandysmom
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh Donna, you and the cats must be sooo relieved !!!!!!

Kazz
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Pleased you have a peace in your home again, and sorry the dogs has gone back to the rescue.
But I feel for the man, depression is a terrible thing. I hope he finds peace and happiness.

Sweet
11-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Thank goodness your kitties can roam around safely now and you will feel less stressed.

I agree, depression is a horrible situation to be in, I hope he takes advice and help x

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:27 PM
let her explore in her own time the more you push the more she may resist
ATD xxx