PDA

View Full Version : The hierarchy of cats

Luz
21-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Some of you may remember I lost my beautiful Poppy in May this year.
Poppy shortly before she passed away:-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/DSCF0246.jpg
I have 3 cats now 1 queen aged 15 and 2 toms, one aged 3 the other I rescued and dont know his age, I guess about 10.
The whole dynamics have changed in the house. My queen Sophie used to be very shy and subserviant now she is the big boss cat. My two toms dont come home very often. Poppy was such a sweet cat and very protective over me. But Sophie has taken that place (she's a constant rug, phew in this heat).
What I dont understand is why my two male cats have deserted the nest.
Here are the lads before Poppy left:-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/laurakirkham/Barneys%20last%20pictures/DSCF0220.jpg

Snoof
21-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Female cats rule the roost. Instinctively and left entire, toms will do more wandering in order to spread their seed whereas queens will settle in one place and raise kittens. Therefore, the leader of a multi-sex cat clan will usually be female.

If Poppy was a fairly dominant cat, then odds are Sophie didn't have much of anything to say, whereas now she's the only female and the house is "hers" to rule.

Luz
21-07-2006, 10:50 PM
:) So what your saying is women rule? :D Well Im coming back as a cat next time!:lol:

dinahsmum
22-07-2006, 08:31 AM
The dynamics do change.
I posted a thread a little while ago about Mini's change since losing Tizz. Mim was top cat, but still her habits changed.
They are unfathomable creatures!

Donna
22-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I have no idea how it is decided who is "top cat". I have two girls and still cant work out after nearly two years who is who in this household!

Luz
22-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I find it so strange, how my very sweet natured Sophie has taken over the house, now my two toms are actually scared of her and of coming home? They are losing weight as well and reclusive, from Sophie being the shy almost scared of her own shadow is now scared of nothing. :?

Kazz
22-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I have no idea how it is decided who is "top cat". I have two girls and still cant work out after nearly two years who is who in this household!

I'm with you over 22 years I never worked out who was in charge between Oz and Cleo - both were "done" as kittens Oz a boy Cleo a girl and honestly I really never did figure out who was in charge :roll:

caddy_dabby
23-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Well in the past week I have been looking after my mums cat as he has just had an amputation and needed cage rest. He is 18 years old and always been very dominant.
When he arrived my cat Alfie started to be very hissy towards him and I thought they would never get on. As Tinker was very dosile (the drugs I think) he did not seem to be bothered at all. Though yesterday they had a stare down and Tinker won (even though he is still in his cage) and he now seems to be the top cat.
I thought this was strange as he is stuck in a cage, learning to walk again and still recoving after an operation. I must saythough I was slightly pleased at this as it shows he is getting better.:)

Hreow
23-07-2006, 12:32 PM
It's so much in the body-language with cats, isn't it? If his attitude says "I'm too important to even *notice* you" the others will generally take his word for it.

Luz
23-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Somebody should make a programme like what Johnny Morris used to do, it would make a great show.

Luke
23-07-2006, 02:07 PM
totally O.T but Luz can we have some more pics of your gorgeous felines?!?!

Luz
23-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Sure Luke will get some posted soon, as long as Sophie doesnt chase the boys away!:lol: