PDA

View Full Version : May I offer a tip in the warm weather.

Kazz
18-07-2006, 05:46 PM
As most of you know the weather is slightly warm at the moment and most cats aren't keen on this heat.

This is something I've found useful over the years. To wet/tinned cat food add a couple of tablespoons of water to their food, I take it usually from their own water bowl then change the water bowl water :roll: But cold water (not ice cold) and mix it in, it ensures your cat gets that added little bit of water which can make all the difference in this weather:? .

Just an idea, that may help especially the vunerable and lively.

Karen

EmmaG
18-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Thats a good idea Karen, Also I feed my cats the whiskers cat milk (only on occasions) but I give them some everyday in this weather, I figured it would help with keeping them hydrated.

Kazz
18-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Thats a good idea Karen, Also I feed my cats the whiskers cat milk (only on occasions) but I give them some everyday in this weather, I figured it would help with keeping them hydrated.

See my Cleo can't tolerate milk even the cat milk thats why I started doing this in the warm weather; and when Oz was poorly I kept did it permentantly. Makes sure they get enough fluid.:)

Fran
18-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Very good advice Kazz!

Mags
18-07-2006, 06:35 PM
What a good idea Kazz....thanks for the tip!;)

dinahsmum
18-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Good tip!
Must say I'm pleased I got the 'cat fountain' - it's been a boon.

Donna
18-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Good idea Kazz.

My Chloe has her own ideas of keeping hydrated - I had got in from work and was going to sit outside to relax for half an hour. Made a big glass of water with lots of ice in it. Placed it on the patio next to my swing chair..:)

Did some watering of the garden with a watering can (no hosepipes here) and I turned round to see Chloe drinking MY iced drink from MY glass.:shock:

The cheek of it....:roll:

but I didnt stop her!! :-D

Donna
18-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Good tip!
Must say I'm pleased I got the 'cat fountain' - it's been a boon.

Does the cat fountain take the "taste" of tap water away?? Does it keep the water cold?

dinahsmum
18-07-2006, 07:18 PM
It has a filter, so i think it would remove a lot of the chemicals. We have a filter system for the house (otherwise the taps just spew out 100% chalk), so our water isn't too bad. You could always boil and cool the water you put in the fountain - or treat your cats to bottled water?
The water constantly moves and a trickle flows down a ramp into the main bowl - so it remains cool by evaporation. Some cats like to lap the tiny stream, some prefer to drink from the bowl.

dandysmom
18-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Leia has never been a big water drinker in any weather, the only time I ever see her drink is a little bit after breakfast. She gets moist food twice a day and a small amount of dry at lunch, tea time & before bedtime. Doesn't adding water to the moist food make the gravy kind of runny? They don't mind that? Maybe I shoud try it...

Booktigger
18-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I might try that tomorrow - just put a bowl of water outside (I know I should have done it in the morning, but I would have forgot - this way I will see it in the morning and change it!!). I have added hot water before now. I can;t really use cat milk, the two overweight cats aren't allowed it, and Molly and Pebbles are fussy about it.

Kazz
18-07-2006, 10:04 PM
:lol: Leia has never been a big water drinker in any weather, the only time I ever see her drink is a little bit after breakfast. She gets moist food twice a day and a small amount of dry at lunch, tea time & before bedtime. Doesn't adding water to the moist food make the gravy kind of runny? They don't mind that? Maybe I shoud try it...

Neither of mine do - and they are fussy (spoilt :roll: ) try adding a little at a time ie first add a tablespoon full mix in well then move up to a couple, yes it does make the gravy runny but they don't seem to mind in fact mine drink the gravy before eating the meat in the warmer weather.:roll:

Sweet
18-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Mine have been drinking from the bowls ive placed outside, including the neighbours cat - I think that idea of adding extra water is excellent - I will try it x

Kazz
18-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Hope to God now it works.

dandysmom
19-07-2006, 02:19 AM
:lol:

Neither of mine do - and they are fussy (spoilt :roll: ) try adding a little at a time ie first add a tablespoon full mix in well then move up to a couple, yes it does make the gravy runny but they don't seem to mind in fact mine drink the gravy before eating the meat in the warmer weather.:roll:
Well, I tried it. Fiasco!! Only added a teaspoon as I suspected Leia wouldn't like it, but it sounded like a good idea...this was Fancy Feast Chicken...she'd had the first half of the tin at breakfast & likes it (she gets half in the morning and half at dinner). She carefully scraped the place mat over it to show me it was awful...that's what she does, but often will give in & eat whatever it was she didn't fancy...not THIS time. I uncovered it, she covered it again. About an hour later it was still uneaten and she was weaving through my legs in the kitchen making small, very hungry cat noises...so, being the spineless thing that I am, I opened a tin of her Beef in Gravy which vanished in about 3 gulps!! Like Rover, she can teleport her food! Anyhow, it didn't make the predicted 100 degrees F, only 97, and there have been t'storms off to the North and West; temperature has dropped to 78 degrees! So, will not worry about her getting dehydrated; good tip, but Leia didn't think so!!:roll: :-D :-D

Mags
19-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Thank you.......thank you.......thank you Kazz!!!!:-D

As I have said before, I have never actually seen Cassie drink any water but..........a teaspoon full on her small meals (I'm still giving her 6 a day:roll:), mixed in, and she is gulping the lot down!!!:D

I feel a lot better now that I can see she is taking in some water during this very hot spell!

Kazz
19-07-2006, 03:18 PM
As I said its only a tip, if it works great if not we've lost nothing.

logoes
19-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I am adding a teaspoon or so of bottled water to India's milk in the hot weather, and I nearly always add water to her meat - I squash it up for her anyway so the water is well mixed in and any 'wet' is licked up before the meat. She doesn't seem to be eating so much as usual but all the milk is going and she is shouting for more. I also never see her during the day, she is well hidden under the bushes. We are supposed to be cooling down tomorrow and with scattered showers - perhaps I will get a good night's sleep!! Logoes

EmmaG
20-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Just tried this out on both of mine, for their last couple of meals, no problem at all and they loved their 'soup' lol

Mags
20-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Cassie is really enjoying hers still.....I think this is going to become a regular habit now...even in winter!!

Kazz
20-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I am so pleased it is working for your cats. Thank you for telling me.

Booktigger
21-07-2006, 03:53 PM
They didn't enjoy it the other day, but wolfed it today!! Cassie, in the winter, you could add the same amount of hot water, it also releases aromas so smells better.

Kazz
21-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Pleased its working for you, I think some cats may take time to get used to it. an't recall if mine took to it straight off it :)