PDA

View Full Version : please microchip your cat

smudgley
14-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I look after the lost & found register for my area.

Everybody (with very few exceptions) tells me their cat is not chipped but they were going to get him done :roll: , or he's not chipped because he never goes off :roll: (until now obviously) so I thought I'd mention on here that if your cats aren't chipped please get them done - next time it could be your cat that goes missing & at least if he's chipped you stand a better chance of him coming home.

Mine are microchipped (did Baby Bluebell & she didn't even notice:cool: ) & all mine wear collars with ID tags too

edit to add - I wrote this having just dealt with 3 missing cats.
none chipped
none with collars
only one neutered

Mags
14-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I had Cassie chipped last week after 9 years!!!:oops::oops::oops:

I kept saying I was going to get it done but never seemed to get round to it. I must say it gave me a feeling of satisfaction knowing that at last she was done.....she also wears a collar (a lovely one too!;)) with a name tag.

smudgley
14-07-2006, 09:28 PM
:cat1

Good girl Mags. Well done.

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041

EmmaG
14-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes both are chipped with collars (safety ones too :) )

Hreow
14-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I booked Rover in for his chipping before I got him, just to avoid the procrastination delay (which I'm very good at). Confused the poor receptionist at the surgery. :grin:

Mags
14-07-2006, 09:35 PM
:cat7:cat16
'If you care for your cat, please get him/her chipped'.............I can say it now...grrreat!!:lol:

Kazz
14-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I claim 2 out of 3

Chipped - Yes
Collar - No
Spayed - Yes

In regard to the collar she is old now and does not go anywhere - honestly promise you.

smudgley
14-07-2006, 09:39 PM
I claim 2 out of 3

Chipped - Yes
Collar - No
Spayed - Yes

In regard to the collar she is old now and does not go anywhere - honestly promise you.

Cats over 20 are exempt from my "wear a collar theory" - so I'll let you off ;)

Kazz
14-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Cats over 20 are exempt from my "wear a collar theory" - so I'll let you off ;)

Cleo says Thank you.

Jac
14-07-2006, 09:41 PM
sorry micro chipping isnt the bee all and end all both mine were........to me that speaks volumes.:? It doesnt confirm ownership:cry:

smudgley
14-07-2006, 09:42 PM
sorry micro chipping isnt the bee all and end all both mine were........to me that speaks volumes.:? It doesnt confirm ownership:cry:

It does if they are scanned Jac ;) Maybe one day they will find their way home.

Kazz
14-07-2006, 09:48 PM

But Jac yours was a different sort of "lost" to the average missing moggie. I think chipping is a good tool.

yola
14-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm guilty of not having mine chipped. But if Darcy gets the all-clear tomorrow at his stitches out appointment, I might just get him done there and then.

Thanks for the pointers Smudgely - we're all full of good intentions but sometimes they just never quite materialise!

Jac
14-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Yip my blessed stepson had dealings:mad:

borderdawn
14-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I have one chipped and 3 tattooed
Dawn.

smudgley
14-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Yip my blessed stepson had dealings:mad:

{{hugs}}

Microchipping is by no way a guarantee you'll get your cat back - but if the cat is found or taken somewhere & scanned there's a good chance of getting the cat back.

Stolen cats are often sold on, but if the new "owner" takes the cat to be microchipped, the person should routinely check for a microchip before inserting the chip - therefore if a chip is found - BINGO!

smudgley
14-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Dawn.

Never heard of cats being tattoed Dawn.

Out of 6 Borders I had tattoed, 3 were unreadable :?

Although I think it is a more "obvious" way of ID & easier to spot.

Where are cats done? Ear?

Fran
14-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Mine are chipped but none of mine wear collars and probably never will.

Kazz
14-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I've never heard of cats being tattoed either. The chap over the road from me has GSD's and they are tattoed I considered it for the dogs but heard people cut off ears to remove the tattoo :shock:

Mags
14-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Dawn.
Where do they tattoo cats Dawn?

borderdawn
14-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Never heard of cats being tattoed Dawn.

Out of 6 Borders I had tattoed, 3 were unreadable :?

Although I think it is a more "obvious" way of ID & easier to spot.

Where are cats done? Ear?
I have one Border tattooed and all 3 chipped now, you cannot read the tattoo on the Border!! Cats are all done in their ears, 13yrs ago, this is Jessies just now, flash on the camera doesnt help, but they are all still very readable.

If my dogs require a general aneasthetic I have asked my Vet to tattoo them on the inside of the thigh like they did the Pit Bulls.
Dawn.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/dawnieb/canon17084.jpg

Moli
14-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Mine are all microchipped, and neutered, but do not wear collars...

MrsH
14-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Mine are all microchipped, and neutered, but do not wear collars...
Same here. I am thinking about getting collars for them although at the moment they've never gone beyond the back garden.

smudgley
14-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I think collars are a very personal thing - some people like them, some don't.
When people adopt a cat from me & ask about collars - I always say - it's up to them, but always point out that my own cats wear collars & when Mitten was killed - someone stopped & read her tag & called me straight away (my mobile number is on their collars) if she didn't have her collar on - they would not have known to call me. :(

Booktigger
15-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Only one of my two is done, I keep meaning to get Ginger done (he is 15 next month though, his age has always put me off), I have had good intentions of doing it this year - but then Pebbles decided to land me with a high vet bill!! I might just get him done at next month's weigh in - woudl have had him done this month after deciding not to go through with any more treatment on Pebbles, but the vet nurse went home early, the vet was fully booked, so the receptionists did the weigh ins!!

Edited to add: both my two and the 2 long term fosters all wear collars and tags - Ginger has a proper tag, as he keeps goign in neighbours houses, the rest have ID barrels as none of them will let people near them (even i can't always touch them outside!!)

Donna
15-07-2006, 08:39 AM
I am the "will get them microchipped one day" brigade... but this thread has made me think...

They are speyed and collared/id tagged but microchipping is the ultimate security I agree.

dinahsmum
16-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm planning on getting the boys done when they are neutered (September). Don't know why I am squeamish for them (had Dinah done with her 8 week jabs, she was only a little baby puppy; she didn't appear to feel it)
In the meantime they are supervised when outdoors.
Is that OK Smudgley?

smudgley
16-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm planning on getting the boys done when they are neutered (September). Don't know why I am squeamish for them (had Dinah done with her 8 week jabs, she was only a little baby puppy; she didn't appear to feel it)
In the meantime they are supervised when outdoors.
Is that OK Smudgley?

erm.... well would be better if they were chipped now :shock: - but - ok then - your regime has passed the Smudgley security test :cool:

Snoof
16-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Ninja is chipped (routine at our rescue 8)) and wears a medallion with NINJA and our phonenumber on it. I need to get Sweep and Jigsaw chipped (and will get Sweep done next week and book him in for the snip, then Jigsaw will be done a few weeks after as they're both staying in for at least a month) and I need to have medallions made for them - but in the meantime they know where the eating's good and won't run away in a hurry... They've been strays in this neighbourhood for a long time.

Still, the fact that they're strays does indicate that I need to get it done, which is why I'm sorting it out shortly :-)

Edit: Ninja and Jigsaw are altered, and Sweep will be neutered in the next week and a half.

MzTrouble
16-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Drake is neutered, chipped and wears a collar with tag (most of the time - he has a bad habit of loosing them :roll:)

Drake went on a mission about a year ago and he was gone for a week! I was SO worried, but the fact he was microchipped helped. I immediately called all vets in the area and they assured me they would check for a micro-chip if a cat was brought in and so did cat rescues..... I must say, it was a weight off my mind as I was pertified he would be taken in somewhere and re-homed!!

Booktigger
16-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I was talkign to our other fosterer earlier, and micrchipping came up, and apparently the vet the rescue I foster for is £5 cheaper than mine, so I shall be making a phone call tomorrow!! My finances are the best they have ever been, so I will take advantage and also pay for Molly to be done - the rescue didn't see the point at her age, but I could get 2 done at her vet for only £10 more than one at my vet, so it will be yet another donation to her!! A woman at a local pet shop also does it, but can't see her being cheaper than £15 - will certainly check before I book them in though. So, fingers crossed, this week or next, I will have two neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, insured cats - the only 2 out of 12 on this street!!

smudgley
16-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Not sure where you live but if anyone lives in West Mids -
I will be happy to M/C your cat for the price of the chip :cool:

Kazz
16-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Not sure where you live but if anyone lives in West Mids -
I will be happy to M/C your cat for the price of the chip :cool:

Where were you about 10 years ago or when ever it was Cleo and Oz were done :roll:

smudgley
16-07-2006, 10:14 PM
10 years ago today - where was I.... .........:-/
Oh yeah........ I had just come out of hospital with a 11 day old baby Ashleigh. :lol:

borderdawn
16-07-2006, 10:24 PM
So its not as if you were busy then Smudgley?? :-D :-D :-D
Dawn.

CJK
17-07-2006, 09:13 AM
if anybody is near wood green animal shelter they do microchipping for free once a month, not the actual shelter itself but the vetenary college on site.
If you email the Royal vetnery college ( i think thats what it's called) they'll tell you what dates theyre doing and make you an appointment.
That is if you dont mind the trainee vets doing it, they did all of ours and were fantastic.

maybe if you have a vet college near you they may do the same sort of thing

Sweet
17-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Violet and Mau Mau both wear collars and both chipped.

Vincent and Mabel being chipped when having their ops when old enough and collars too big at the mo x

Booktigger
18-07-2006, 07:44 AM
WEll, as long as I can get home, get Molly and Ginger, and get to the pet shop in an hour, they will be being done tonight - £5 each cheaper than my vet!! Only prob is the lady doing it is due to give birth on Fri!!