PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours cat in a snare - no pictures

EmmaG
12-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Two of my neighbours cats went missing recently, one about three weeks ago and the other last week, one cat came back on Saturday evening (it has been gone for about 3 days) with a snare around it :( it has been taken to the vets and it is all ok, although it will take a little while to heal as the snare had badly cut underneath the cat and it was infested with maggots.

The other cat is still missing (about three weeks now) and there was a report that a cat with a similar description had been killed on the main road (although it is a little distance from his house but not impossible)

Just been reading about snares, they really are nasty devices :(

Mags
12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
That is shocking!:shock::mad: What that poor cat must have gone through is unimaginable:(

Your neighbour must be so upset having that happen to one cat and then the other cat still missing.....:(

I think those traps are so cruel!:mad:

EmmaG
12-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I am just glad the poor thing is now safe and at home.

I said I would keep an eye out for the other cat...just in case.

Luckily mine don't really go very far, Bronwyn hardly wanders outside of the garden and Arthur only goes mousing in the field behind.

I will never understand people who think those sorts of traps are ok, fair enough if you need to control rabbits, rats etc when kill them and do it quickly (guns etc) but don't let the poor things suffer :(

dandysmom
13-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Shocking indeed! What that poor cat must have suffered...glad it made it home...

Sweet
13-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Words fail me x

Donna
13-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Poor kitty. Tis awful.

MrsH
13-07-2006, 08:45 PM
It's sickening the things some people do isn't it? Hope your neighbour's cat gets well soon.

Jac
13-07-2006, 08:53 PM
No! I am sorry, snares are horrific things. There have been animals chewed off legs to get out. POOR cat, thank God it got away and home. I honestly feel sick when I hear of such pain and suffering.
I hope the other cat is found safe and sound.

CathyW
13-07-2006, 09:07 PM
that poor cat, it must of been terrified, get well soon little cat.

EmmaG
13-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Spoke to the young lad today who owns him, he is recovering well, but no sight of his other cat (apart from somebody saying about a black and white cat getting killed on the main road)

This was also reported in the local press but we don't get the papers otherwise I would post up a copy of the article.

Jac
13-07-2006, 09:11 PM
This is so s****y. I really feel for the owner, easpecially because of what has happened to me. When you dont know what has happened to your cat it's aufull. I really do hope she gets her other one back safe and sound.

Snoof
13-07-2006, 09:36 PM
What a horrible thing to have happen, Emma :( I hope the cat feels better soon and that the owners find out what happened to the other one...

I knew a cat when I was small whose leg got trapped in a snare. She had to have it amputated :(

Kim
13-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Poor cat. Those traps are so cruel it is sickening. Hope she recovers well. I also hope that she finds out what happened to her other cat, not knowing is awful. When one of our cats disappeared I phoned every place I could think of, vets RSPCA, CP, etc. I put posters up and I also phoned the local council to find out whether they had picked up any dead cats. :(

EmmaG
13-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Well with regard to the other cat, it had been found (supposedly) on the main road after being hit by a car, cat was dead, the owner (Luke - young lad) found out about it and contacted the person who said he buried the cat, he just wanted to see where the cat was buried, and I think to have a bit of closure, contacted said person and they said no you cannot see where I have buried the cat, he asked why not and they admitted that they hadn't actually buried the cat but had put it in a bag and put it out in the council bin and it had been taken by the rubbish men :shock: So he will now never know if it was his cat or not. Very sad as he is a lovely lad and loves his cats. I hope it wasn't his cat and it does actually come home.

Mags
13-07-2006, 09:56 PM
How sad to be told that your beloved cat has been carted off by the rubbish men.....:mad::(

borderdawn
13-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Sad story all round.

Snares are nasty, I dont like them, have taken Dogs, Cats, Badgers and baby Deer out of them. This is one of the reasons I favour my ways for controlling Vermin, the use of dogs, although controversial for many, is very quick. I hate the thought of animals being left in the way many snared animals are. Strangely enough the RSPCA favour this method!
Dawn.

LMC
13-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the poor cat and that there's still no firm news on the other cat :( - Luke did seem like a really nice lad (he was there when I was loading Boy into the car)

It sounds gross, but maggots actually only eat decomposing flesh and were used to help in healing back in the old days - so may have actually helped the poor cat's injuries not to be worse, by taking away the bad bits. Hope it recovers soon.

EmmaG
13-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Yes he is a really nice lad, the sort you would be proud to have as a son, unlike some youngesters!. His parents are really nice, couldn't imagine they would put up with any rubbish from their children.

The cat is recovering well but slowly.