PDA

View Full Version : re-litter-training an adult

moggymommy
11-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Angel is really grinding me down at the moment by wetting where ever she feels like it :( I'm not sure how to tackle the problem. It seems to be if one of the kids leaves a jacket or an item of clothing lying, or washing waiting to go in the machine, or the ironing that was waiting to be done :roll: she will go there instead of going to any of the 3!! litter trays.

She has never been great at going to the tray but its worse recently, possibly because I have switched to hooded trays, I've kept the doors off them tho and her old standard one is still there if she wants to use it.

She was very young when I got her, the woman I got her from said she was 8 weeks and litter trained but she wasnt, the pic in my avatar was her the day I picked her up, her eyes were still blue. I made the mistake of not confining her to one room to begin with so the problem is my fault not hers.

I need to re-train her but I dont know how to do it, it will be impossible to keep her in one room because my kids never close doors behind them and if I shut her in she will tear up the carpet!

She isnt spayed yet so I am wondering if getting that done will make a difference? Its gotten to the stage I am considering re-homing her to an outdoor home because I cant see that she will change now, but I dont want to do that.

The strange thing is that she always does it on something, she never does it straight onto the floor :?

Snoof
11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I can't remember how old Angel is - could you remind me?

It's entirely possible she's gotten worse because of Ziggy's arrival - how did you introduce Ziggy to her? Did you take it at her and Ziggy's pace? She may feel she needs to claim ownership of the house.

I used drops when Ninja was having issues (his main issue was that we weren't letting him out :roll:). Two in each litterbox every day. They worked a treat for Ninja, and then I sent the rest of the bottle to CJK, who was having trouble with PF and litterboxes. I think she said they worked a charm for her as well.

I can look up the brand for you if you want?

moggymommy
11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Angel is only just over a year old.
I introduced them slowly, I kept Ziggy in my room to start with as Angel isnt allowed in there anyway, mainly because of this problem.
They tollerate each other now but they're not friends yet.

CJK pm'd me about the drops, Shirleys? Where did you get them?

CJK
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I have some left moggymommy, if snoof has no objections i can post them on to you?

Edited to add:
pm me your address if you'd like them

and snoof, thanks again for those, really helped.

Booktigger
11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I would start off with a vet visit - you need to get her spayed, if you are not going to breed from her, you are risking her health, and you should also get her checked out for cystitis. It is normally brought on with stress, so she could be reacting to Ziggy's arrival. Good luck.

Snoof
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks BT, I was going to suggest a vet visit but forgot completely.

CJK, they're your drops now so if you're done with them I think posting them on is a fab idea :-) Who knows, we might get into the Guinness Book of Records as "the bottle of litterbox drops that had the most owners in its lifetime" :lol:

Fran
11-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Good luck with this problem, I hope the drops work! Could somebody enlighten me as to what these drops are and where you would buy them from? Thank you :D

Snoof
11-07-2006, 10:54 PM
They're drops you put in the litterbox(es) - 2 per day per litterbox. I got them from the local pet shop, and bought that brand because the pet shop owner recommended it despite it being cheaper than the other :shock:

Fran
11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Have you got a name of the product Snoof? What exactly does it claim to do?

Snoof
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM
It makes the litterbox smell right to them, I think, Fran - not sure. According to CJK the brandname is Shirley's. I'll Google it for you later if you like, and see if I can find a relevant link :-)

CJK
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah it says shirleys on the box ( though goodness knows where the box is now!)

I know some pet shops re now starting to seel that brand of stuff, I THINK theyre also avaiallbe online.

Snoof is right,t hey make the litter box smell like a litter box (to the cats, i couldnt smell em lol)

have toa dmit using a few drops for alisha too, but neednt have as she litter trained anyway. So that's my two cats, and snoofs already "treated" with this one bottle

dinahsmum
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Hope you can read this - just happened to come in my Burns consignment yesterday. The cystitis article is at the bottom of the page.
Hope you can sort this out - it can't be much fun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/Burnsarticle.jpg

CJK
12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
SHERLEYS not SHIRLEYS
theyre called swiftie drops, training drops for puppies and kittnes.

Sherleys has a web site WWW.sherleys.com (http://www.sherleys.com) ( hope it's ok to post that link)

CJK
15-07-2006, 11:47 AM
hi, did the drops arrive yet? I posted them thursday.
Let us know how you get on with them.