PDA

View Full Version : How to tell cats off?

SillyTilly
11-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I really need a noise that I can use that tells the cats they are doing something naughty (like climbing in the dishwasher, or trying to get in the rats cage http://www.hubbellbubbell.co.uk/hubbellforum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif)

I've tried clapping my hands, hissing, saying "no" in a firm voice and they totally ignore all of them.

I don't want to scare them, but they do need to know that somethings aren't acceptable.

What noises do you use?

Olivia

dandysmom
11-07-2006, 02:03 AM
A really really loud "NO!!!" usually worked for me; sometimes it's easier to distract them with something else (short attention spans!) like a toy or a string...

ceiron
11-07-2006, 02:06 AM
or spray bottle.lol

dandysmom
11-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Oh yeah, forgot that! Or just a sprinkle of water from your hand complete with the really loud "NO!".

ceiron
11-07-2006, 02:43 AM
everyone loves the spray bottle, dunno why.lol

yola
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Some pebbles in a drinks can has also been suggested elsewhere. A short, sharp rattle of this would startle (rather than scare), and coupled with a stern 'no' might do the trick.

Alsoc, consider gently blowing in their face - again with the word 'no' so they begin to get the assocation between action and words.

Mags
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Cassie gets a firm NO! from me......:D

Kazz
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Isn't this odd my two never needed to be "told off" or even gently rebuked, they have never (that I recall) done anything I have considered warranted a telling off. Maybe I have angel cats :-D

SillyTilly
11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Well I've tried most of these and they totally ignore me.

So I think I'm going to end up with naughty cats, and reserve a water spray for VERY serious things (like terrorising ratties).

Olivia

Snoof
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Isn't this odd my two never needed to be "told off" or even gently rebuked, they have never (that I recall) done anything I have considered warranted a telling off. Maybe I have angel cats :-D I'm sure I'm going to eat these words with no small interest rate, but I've got the same thing. At worst I've had to hide the toilet paper (Dishrag went mad for it, we always reckoned his parents were killed by a rogue looroll)... With my current lot, Jigsaw has to be told not to go up on the counter and we need to keep the lid on the bin so Sweep (that mad monkey!) doesn't try to be stealthy whilst knocking over the bin to nose around inside :roll:

So, anyway... Aside from them bringing the house down around my ears, they're very well-behaved :lol:

A loud NO works for me. Jasmine and Rufus's daddy uses a specific type of loud fingerclicking as well.

That said, I really don't know how I've gotten so lucky... That's (past and present included) 8 cats I've owned and not a single one has ever truly driven me to distraction (Ninja doesn't count as he didn't do anything bad - he just needed to be coaxed out of his shell). Either I'm just oblivious or I'm a hell of a lucky duck!

Kazz
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
You could be right I may be oblivious too :roll: dense is another word for it.:-D

EmmaG
11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Nah Karen they were just naughty behind your back!!!! lol

Kazz
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Nah Karen they were just naughty behind your back!!!! lol

Quite possibly, in fact very likely true :-D .

Hreow
11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Dense is a *good* state of mind with cats around. :-)

Snoof
11-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I tend to think mine could outthink me on a dime anyway :oops: :lol: