PDA

View Full Version : how can I train the kittens not to drink my night time water

SillyTilly
11-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

Both kittens have taken to drinking out of my mug of water at night. Which is really irritating as it means I don't have anything to drink if I wake up thirsty in the night.

They have a range of water downstairs (water that's stood for a while, fresh water, mug of water), yet they insist on coming upstairs and drinking out of mine.

I've tried covering it with a tissue or a book, but they just take those off.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Olivia

dandysmom
11-07-2006, 02:21 AM
You might try one of those glass jug things that come with a glass that sits upside down on top of it...can't think of its name but you probably know what I mean. Been a long time since I've had a kitten...Leia, the one in my avatar was seven this Spring...had forgotten what enchanting little nuisances they can be:roll: Yours sound like a handful, but you wouldn't trade them for anything, would you?:-D

Hreow
11-07-2006, 06:55 AM
It's the water *you* drink, so of course it must be theirs. :grin:

You could also try one of those travel-cups with a lid that screws on and a flap over the hole in the lid you drink from. Make sure it's one of those that doesn't spill if it is batted over, though. :-)

dinahsmum
11-07-2006, 08:25 AM
If you find an elegant answer please let me know! I had a nice glass carafe, drinking glass inverted over the top. It sat on my bedside table, near a glass dish of lavender scented stones -? sleep inducing?. That was one of the first kitten casualties. Bowl knocked onto floor first, carafe followed it and fell to its death when landing on the former :?
I now use a bottle of water (or a refilled water bottle) with one of those awful 'sports tops' - you know, you pull up the plug and swig.

During the recent heatwave when we had guests and were virtually living 100% in the garden I took to having a jug of water and ice cubes on the table under the parasol ..... until I saw Mini helping herself, as if saying 'how civilised'.

Cats!

smudgley
11-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Bottled water with a sports cap on it should do the trick ;)

yola
11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm past caring!! Balie has helped himself to water out of the nightly glass on my bedside cabinet for the last 9 years and Darcy has started doing it too :shock: I haven't died of anything yet, so as long as they don't knock it over (which they don't seem to), I'm not going to lose any sleep over it (pardon pun . . . ;) )

Fran
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I think the water bottles with the sports caps sound like an excellent idea!

SillyTilly
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
I am SOOOO pleased it's not just me and my cats that have this problem.

I've got a water bottle, so I'll try that tonight.

Last night I tried having one for me (hidden under a lamp) and one for them - but they just drank from both :roll:

Thanks for the ideas and tips

Olivia

Mags
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I always keep a bottle of water on my bedside table.........:)

Snoof
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I've long since reconciled myself to the fact that any water that isn't in the cat bowl is fair game... So how about a clean cat bowl full of water? A bit unwieldy for you to drink from, but at least you'll know they'll stick to the container made for humans :roll: :smt044

Hreow
11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
That's a brillian idea Snoof! Should have though of that one.
:lol:

Donna
11-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I put lemonade in a glass and lay in wait for Chloe to think she is gonna gulp my drink down!!

Tis so funny when she drinks it and the bubbles go up her nose!!! ha ha ha!!!

Might put her off trying again for a while!

SillyTilly
11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
hhahaha - that's funny Donna. :D

random
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I put lemonade in a glass and lay in wait for Chloe to think she is gonna gulp my drink down!!

Tis so funny when she drinks it and the bubbles go up her nose!!! ha ha ha!!!

Might put her off trying again for a while!

Caught mine drinking Irn Bru :shock:
Did they care about the bubbles? Well Kiara did, but the others will eat/drink anything. Funny watching 3 little kitten heads trying to squeeze into a mug all at the same time though :roll: :lol:

Samz5
28-07-2006, 11:37 AM
I stopped having water next to my bed after Bones managed to push a glass of water off the side onto my head! I woke up most confused lol.
I have found that the only safe way to keep my drinks is in a bottle since I caught Bones drinking my Tropicana orange juice! I didn't think cats would be interested in orange juice.