PDA

View Full Version : Suckling......

Sweet
09-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Over the last few days Vincent has taken to suckling Mabel on her tummy in one place, its beginning to look pinkish and sore - Is he trying to suckle like he did his Mummy? For comfort?

I give them cat milk which I didnt Violet when she was alot smaller.

Any suggestions

Love, Julie x

Emm
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
when I got Mencius he still wanted to suckle so I bought a small bottle from PAH and I would put cats milk into it and let him suckle from that he soon grew out of it.

Sweet
10-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Thank you Emm, I will go today and get one x

random
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
We had to do the same with tabs when she was a baby, worked a treat :D

smudgley
10-07-2006, 03:02 PM
It's a comfort thing. :)
Personally I wouldn't bottle feed him now, he should be old enough not to need it.

Sweet
10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I rang my Vet.

She suggested getting something named - Bitter Apple ? its a spray which tastes yuck from Pet Stores.

They are both washing each other as I type, but its just upsetting to see him trying to suckle her - she tolerates it a while then tries to get away and seems to cry :(

Have anyone heard of this spray ? x

Fran
10-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I have heard of the spray Sweet. I thought it was used on furniture and furnishings to stop dogs chewing things , I didn't realise you could actually spray it on the animals themselves :? I'd be just inclined to keep moving him off her every time you see him do it..

Sweet
10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
OK - will give it a try over the next few days - if not I will look in the Pet Store, its ok when I am here, but tonight I went food shopping and came back and shes soggy and sore :( x

Luke
10-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Could it be that she smells of their mum so VIncent smells her scent as a source of food-how abouth bathing her? or wiping her down with a damp cloth?
Just a thought..

Sweet
10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Thats another good idea Luke, will do that tonight - anything is worth a try x

Kim
10-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Ah bless him, he's missing the comfort from his mum. When we had Rosie as a kitten she used to suck a small peice of her bed, always the same spot. In the end we took it away for a while. Obviously you can't do this to Mabel! Don't really have any suggestions, but I hope you find a solution.

smudgley
10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I have heard of the spray Sweet. I thought it was used on furniture and furnishings to stop dogs chewing things , I didn't realise you could actually spray it on the animals themselves :? I'd be just inclined to keep moving him off her every time you see him do it..

Bitter apple for skin / on pet
Bitter bite for furniture etc

Fran
10-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Bitter apple for skin / on pet
Bitter bite for furniture etc

Thanks for that Smudgley...could have done with knowing that a few months ago. I have a friend that hand raised a litter of pups that made themselves sore suckling on each other :(

Sweet
11-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Just saw this Smudgley - thank you x