PDA

View Full Version : Houseful of oldies

Booktigger
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
As one of my foster kitties was adopted on Thurs, I had to replace her, no point letting the cat room go to waste!!

So, on Saturday, I picked up Martha, a 10 year old who we took from the streets as we were told she was a pregnant stray!! She wasn't happy at the other fosterers, so she has come here as I have more room. she is up for rehoming.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/windowsill-1.jpg

Then we have PEbbles, 11. She is a permanent cat.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/bed-1.jpg

Tom, 12, a long term foster who I am hoping to find a home for soon.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/rehomingpage-1.jpg

Molly, 13, who is going to live her life out with me.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/cuddlebum.jpg

And Ginger, another permanent, who is 14 - but 15 in August

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/manofthehosue.jpg

Sweet
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
They are all beautiful x

dandysmom
10-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Your "forevers" are darlings! Hope the others find a good home soon; older cats are so rewarding!

Hreow
10-07-2006, 06:59 AM
How's Martha settling in at yours?
Tom doesn't look as if he's going anywhere in that photo! :grin:

Booktigger
10-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Martha is actually settling in quite well - she was very vocal at the other fosterers, but quiet as a mouse here, which is a good thing. She is still a bit wary when I walk in the room which is sad, but she has only been here since Sat dinner, so not too worried about that yet, esp as it only lasts about a min, then she comes over for a fuss. tom doesn;t think he is going anywhere, but he does keep beating my neighbours cats up, so I can't keep him.

Mags
10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
They are all beautiful cats.......:cool:

smithdouglaswood
10-07-2006, 09:23 PM
What beauties they are.

Angie and the gang

Fran
10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Gorgeous kitties!!

borderdawn
10-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Things are looking good in the "retirement home" well done you for helping the oldies.
Dawn.

Moli
10-07-2006, 10:09 PM
They are all lovely...

Booktigger
06-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Still no interest in either Tom or Martha - Tom has been here a year now, so looking very doubtful for him. Martha will have to be an only cat, which will make it harder to find her a home - she doesn't show any interest in coming out of the cat room, never mind the front door, so might be OK as an only cat. Lovely and affectionate though.

Kim
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Well done for looking after the oldies. They are all lovely cats, I particularly like the photo of Molly with her paws crossed, I love it when they do that. :)

yola
07-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh bless them!! And you too for taking on the older cats . . . they are so often overlooked and it is heartbreaking!

It also nearly always seems to be the tuxedo and black cats that are left when all the others have been snapped up for rehoming. What a shame :(

Hopefully they'll find the right kind of homes soon - and those that are with you for good - well they've fallen on their paws haven't they :D

Booktigger
07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
It is sad that the oldies get left behind - they are the only ones I take on, and it is just such a shame I can't afford to have more, I certainly would if I could afford it (have my eye on one at another shelter). I have had young black and whites that have gone quickly, but dont seem to have much luck with the oldies at the moment, but hopefully it will happen soon.

Donna
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Lots of black and white cats - they are just as stunning as any other cat - I am glad you are there for them x

Booktigger
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
'Old' vets rang me today asking if i could help with a cat they had been asked to pts. Seemingly healthy cat, and the only reason she could make out was that she is ruining his new decorations. She is a 13 year old tabby, not sure if he has had her all her life (forgot to ask). Only prob I have is that Martha hates other cats (she will only venture out of her room to chase Tom), so she will have to go in the cage in the front room - but our other fosterer lost two of her oldies this week (one was a 20 year old Persian), so she may be able to take her on, but I am a bit reluctant to ask just yet. Will post pics at some point

Booktigger
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Here is Tiger, the one I picked up yesterday - it did break my heart though, as she was crying, and the poor thing had had one owner from being a kitten, so her whole world has been turned upside down.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/firstpic-1.jpg

dandysmom
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh, poor Tiger, such a pretty cat, and to be discarded for such a stupid reason! I do hope she finds a loving home very soon:(

Sweet
11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
((((((hugs to Tiger))))) she is gorgeous x

Booktigger
11-08-2006, 09:19 PM
she is gorgeous. He told me she wasn't easy to stroke or brush but not vicious, I have managed both, but only for short periods and she has been slightly nasty, but i think it is just cos of how her life has been turned upside down, and I hope she does get a bit friendlier. Oh, and the only thing he told me about why he was letting her go (I didn't ask, as I was told by the vets - I did ask how long he had had her, and he said 13 years) was that she is tying him down. I had to stand there and nod my head politely (while thinking, 'this takes me up to 6 cats, which I find hard work, and I work full time')

samwise
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Stupid reason!! Not even a real reason!!:cat2:cat2
She looks gorgeous:cat21:cat21!
I wish I could take more, I would have even more of a housefull!! But already having 6 dogs and 2 cats I would not have enough time (or energy:roll:) to give each of the quality time and attention.

dandysmom
12-08-2006, 02:47 AM
What goes around comes around....maybe when he's old his children will put him in a home because he's "tying them down" !!! AAARGHH!

Kazz
12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Here is Tiger, the one I picked up yesterday - it did break my heart though, as she was crying, and the poor thing had had one owner from being a kitten, so her whole world has been turned upside down.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/booktigger/firstpic-1.jpg

Sorry but I couldn't do what you do rescue; I would have decked the bloke there and then (having got him to sign over the cat first of course) how could you leave a cat you've raised for 13 years nothing on God's earth would make me give up my two; nothing in the World - this sort of attitude beggars belief but I imagne it is more commnplace than I and any rational person could imagine.

I hope she finds a home worthy of her soon - I tell you thats one thing I think I may find myself doing going into a rescue and saying who's your longest stay oldie (and bearing inmind the dogs) bringing them home and letting them live theirs lives out in safety and security with a little bit of TLC thrown in for good measure.

Thank you for being there as their safety net, Karen

Booktigger
13-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I dont think violence is the way - and he was late 60's, early 70's, so couldn't have done it, I was brought up to respect my elders. I Can't imagine how people can do it, as I know I couldn't, but sadly there are so many people in the world who dont think of their pets the same way as we do. And it is very commonplace - she is the 4th that my vet has rang me about this year - an average of one every 2 months, and that is just one small vet in one small area. Sadly 2 were too ill to be rehomed, but the other 2 got a chance, and that is why I do it.

I am sure she will find a home, and if not, she will become another long termer (not that I want another one, as 6 is my limit for cats - well, at the moment anyway, amazing how limits can be broken, it was 5 up until the end of last year)I Wish more people would go to rescues and take on the older cats, fortunately there are some. I would love to go to one of my local rescues and take on one of their oldies, but I dont think I will be going to a rescue for years for a cat, they keep finding me!!

Booktigger
17-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, her owner told me she wasn't friendly and he couldnt stroke or brush her. She isnt' overly affectionate, but she does allow me to stroke her head, and I stopped this morning and seh gently nudged me to continue, plus she was purring. Only lasted about 5 mins, and then she tried to attack me, but i think it is looking quite positive. Sometimes she refuses to go back in the cage and we have a fraught time as she will try and claw me, but I am just going to start enticing her with food - only thing is I dont want her eating too much, as she is used to going outside, so she is more likely to put weight on. Hopefully it wont be that hard to find her a new home.
Edited to add - we have had a fab night, she came out and rubbed against my legs a few times, had a bit of a chat with me, didn't go all that bonkers when teh hoover was on, and when it was time for her to go back, i actually managed to pick her up, give her a quick kiss and ptu her in - and she didn't swipe at me when I shut the cage door!!! So I obviously didn't annoy her all that much doing it. I do have to say that I had my doubts as to how 'non friendly' this cat was as I picked her up, put her in the carrier, and she did allow me to fuss her afterwards, and i also got to fuss her and give her a quick brush when she arrived

kelz
01-09-2006, 10:21 PM
they are wonderful cats you have there!
I lost my Mog this year at the grand age of 22!!

Booktigger
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I am not sure how well we are going to find Tiger a home - I Was told her owner couldn't stroke her - I can, as long as she is in the cage, she is very affectionate then. LEt her out, she will brush against you, sit on the stairs, and if you try and stroke her then, she will snap at you - and at 13, I Dont hold any hope in taming her down. I Will give it another two weeks before talking to the rescue as to whether we just integrate her.

yola
03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
If she has been uprooted after 13 years in the same environment it may take her a good several months to settle down and 'trust' again. I think patience is needed and I suspect that she may be happier being rehomed as an only cat in a non-cat/dog/child household.

Booktigger
03-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Cheers. I think the main prob we are going to have is actually finding someone willing to take on a 13 year old who will need time and patience, as it is kitten season - Tom has been on the list since Jan, although we have had some enquiries for him. We did home a 12 yo last year though. i am just wondering if letting her integrate and have outdoor access might just help her to settle, and then we can see about homing her. We only let long termers have outdoor access though, and I dont really want another long termer.