PDA

View Full Version : Can cats have soya milk?

SillyTilly
09-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I know cats can't have soya milk?

I know they can't have normal milk, and I don't want to give them the preparatory cat milks because I've been shocked as to the amount of sugar and addatives they have in them.

The rats and I enjoy our soya milk, so thought it might make a nice treat for the cats too.

Cheers

Olivia

LMC
09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Adult cats don't actually need any kinds of milk - nor do adult humans if it comes to that!

As your two are still growing babies, I would sacrifice your principles and let them have kitty milk until they are adults: perhaps your vet can recommend a brand with fewer additives in?

Once they are grown up, water is quite sufficient - my four girls have had the *very* occasional *little* bit of milk or cream as a treat - when I say occasional, I mean once or twice a year! And new boy is only getting cat milk until he bulks up a bit - once he's back to full health he can stick with water and regular food.

Booktigger
09-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I was recommended to use the Lactose free milk for humans, as it is similar to cat milk, but you get a lot more for a fraction of the price. Sadly, I ran out of milk after I bought it so used it all on me, so can't say if it goes down well or not - but I do have fussy cats when it comes to cat milk. I have it in all the time, but it is only given to cats that come here underweight, and to help build them up, the boys never get it.

Fran
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
My puppies and any kittens I have had have been raised on goats milk. They tolerate it much better than cow's milk. I have never fed branded 'cat' milk and probably never will :? I don't feed my adults any milk at all.

random
09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I use normal lactose free milk, you can get it from anywhere really, much cheaper than the wee bottles the cat food companies sell ;)

All of mine still have milk, but all of mine are still babies, :roll:
Tabs doesn't get any but she needs to loose rather a few pounds really :roll:

catlover
15-07-2006, 04:50 AM
I feed my kittens whiskers milk but since reading this thread i'm going to try them on goats milk. So fingers crossed they will like it.

logoes
15-07-2006, 07:46 PM
I think India would leave home if she didn't have her cat milk. She has never been a big eater of meat and not having any teeth and picky over her dried food I feel I've got to get something into her. Didn't know there was lactose free milk for humans. I will look for it and see if I can persuade her Ladyship to have that instead of cat milk ---I always used goats milk for the puppies, I never thought of it for cats !!!!! I will give that a try too. Logoes

Rosie
04-08-2006, 08:58 AM
My Rosie (9) has never had milk and I have never given little Alfie (14 weeks) any sort of milk but he is quite happy with water. None of my three (Holly lurcher 10) are fussy eaters. The cats in particular can't be as if they leave anything Holly eats it!