PDA

View Full Version : Operation Relocate-a-cat is complete!

LMC
08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Apologies for short delay, have been catching up on related threads :smt043

Well, here he is:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/DSCF0001.jpg

He's obviously not used to being in a house, so although he'll accept some tickles and has taken some interest in the catnip toy, he'd rather stay under the bed for the moment, thank you very much. I'm sat on the bed - we're both in the spare room. He's accepting tickles with great delight and purring like a train - but doesn't want to come out for the moment.

He's not terribly happy about the camera either - as flash is needed for where he is right now, no more pics for the moment sorry - when I tried to get another he backed right up against the wall and needed some comforting, so I'll let him settle a bit more.

I took him straight out of the carrier and popped him in his litter tray - so he knows where that is - and he has a big bowl of water, some cat milk, some premium whiskas and some Purina dry food to choose from. I'm a bit concerned that he may be a wee bit dehydrated as his nose is dry, so will stay in here as much as I can this evening to check he at least drinks something and keep an eye on the water level.

He did a big wee in the cat carrier on the way home (thank goodness I'd lined it with newspaper as well as the towel!) and cried for most of the way - settled down to sleep just 5 minutes before we got back of course.

*short pause while I take another peek under the bed*

Nope, no change - happy and relaxed just where he is, but no intention of emerging just yet! As I have wireless, and food and drink in here, I can remain in this hostage situation for most of the rest of the evening and keep you posted.

Sorry about this mega post, but I know you all wanted to know. And there's just a teeny bit more, saved the most important bit 'til last:

BIG THANK YOU http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/flower.gif to Emma G for looking after this poor neglected poppet and finding him a good home - with me :-D

Sweet
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Its a fantastic ending..........I am sure he will be very very very happy with you x

Fran
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Big congratulations on your new arrival!! He's bound to be a bit confused especially if he isn't used to being in a house. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he comes round :-) Have you thought of a name for him yet?

Mags
08-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Congratulations LMC....that was a bit of good undercover work!!:-D

Well done you for taking the lovely boy on, I'm sure with your loving care we will see a big improvement.

Thank you for getting a pic of him on CP so quick;) You do know that we will require regular updates of him now, don't you!;):D

Let us know when you have decided on a name for him!

LMC
08-07-2006, 07:25 PM
He is a very TALL cat - Emma said he was, but I was still surprised :shock: !

He's also painfully thin, as you can all see from the pics, so I think it's going to be hard to think of a name until he's settled down a bit and grown into his full glory!

Willow is a lovely name, but I think he's going to be a very masculine little cat and might need something a bit more macho.

I tried out a few in the car... Bruce might fit, but hmmmm.... not sure. Emma thought he looks like a George, but unfortunately that might not go down too well with my sister, as my nephew is George :lol:

Mags
08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
What could be more macho than Rambo!!! :-D:-D:-D

EmmaG
08-07-2006, 07:30 PM
awww look at him in his new home!!!! Thanks for posting an update :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit dehydrated as you know that shed was very warm to say the least, although he did have a bit of cat milk, well he had a whole bottle today :)

I have no doubts he will settle down very quickly, as your saw in the shed how much he seemed to like the crate (we had a few problems getting him OUT of the crate !!)

I think it will be very interesting to see another week on how much better is is going to look.

I knew you were the right person for him when you PM'd me and I am SO glad it all worked out. Give him a cuddle from me, I will always have a very big soft spot for that lad!! xxx

LMC
08-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm sure he would love a visit from Aunty Emma at some point http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/flower.gif

I better update my profile! :smt043

EmmaG
08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm sure he would love a visit from Aunty Emma at some point http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/flower.gif

I better update my profile! :smt043

In a month or so I will come and visit him, I will really look forward to seeing what I think will be a huge improvement in his condition.

What I loved about him is that as soon as he felt safe, be it outside, in that crate, in a cat carrier, at the vets, he just didn't stop purring!!! I have never known a cat like it!!!

Donna
08-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Glad today went smoothly for al concerned!

LMC
08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
As it's been so hot today and the spare room is shut up, I have a fan going full blast, so can't hear whether he's purring right now. But he certainly purrs when I tickle his ears and has even rolled over to let me under his chin!

Having to lie at full stretch on the floor and reach my arm under the bed still - well, he's only been here 1 3/4 hours bless 'im!

Snoof
08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Congratulations, and may I add a thankyou for taking him in for you, and a thankyou for all the work involved for Emma. :smt049 to both of you!

He looks rusty in the pictures, to varying degrees - is that just because of the flash or is he really rusty?

Gorgeous chap, either way. He's such a lovely lad!

SillyTilly
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Awww what a happy ending to the story. Bless.

Let us all know how he gets on and when he gets a new name :)

Olivia

LMC
08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
He is a bit rusty Snoof. Obv. he'll have to be kept in for several weeks until he's settled in and been for jabs and the snip, so hopefully that and good feeding should help get his coat back to the right colour. If he *is* in fact a Russian Blue, then his coat is far too thin, love him.

I was starting to get concerned that he hadn't drunk anything - as Emma said, her shed is hot (but you had no choice Emma, so NO guilt tripping :stern wagging finger smiley: - he had plenty of liquid in there and you have brought him on *so* much in the last few days). Then he had an hour in the car and he's been here nearly two hours.

So I hauled him out from under the bed - he purred the whole time, even tho' he was wriggling and not amused to be dragged out into the limelight, what a sweet natured boy! Checked his gums. They are grey pigmented, so that was not helpful :smt043. The back-of-the-neck skin pinch was a leetle inconclusive, so while I had him caught, I plonked him in front of the cat milk I put down - he's just swigged half a bottle in one go, must have been thirsty! Have put the rest of the bottle down: they are supposed to last a couple of days, but hey, the lad needs feeding up...

Then he retired under the bed again... at least he's had something to drink :smt026

EmmaG
08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
lol he does like that cat milk doesn't he?? I tried diluting it with water but he didn't then seem to be very impressed with it!!!

As you say very sweet natured, he was even purring the whole time I combed him. Hopefully by now any fleas are on their way out!!

Hasn't he got lovely clean teeth ?? lol :-D

MrsH
08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Well done EmmaG and LMC. I love happy endings :D

borderdawn
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
How brilliant, well done both, look forward to hearing about his progress.
Dawn.

dandysmom
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
You & Emma are the greatest!! The world needs moe people like you! Pat the little guy for me...

LMC
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I would if I could reach him! - he's glued himself to the skirting board, it's only a single bed thank goodness, so I can hoick him out if I have to - but he seems to be dozing and happy enough under there for the moment. I'll drag him out later for another drink if I can't tempt him out!

Snoof
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Alternatively you could just slide the bowl under the bed and leave him to it... But that might breed cheeky shoving-it-back-to-be-refilled behaviour :lol:

LMC
08-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Exactly... he has to come out sometime! Have switched fan off now it's cooled down and can hear snoring :lol:

EmmaG
08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
lol @ the snoring!!! poor little mite it has been a very busy day for him today :)

LMC
08-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm letting him sit and chill under there pretty much and am just 'sharing the space'. I'll pester him with affection a bit more tomorrow :lol:

Hreow
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm sure he needs his sleep. :-) What a big day for him! And you! You're clearly just the right person for him.

How do you check hydration-level from the gums? :smt017

LMC
08-07-2006, 10:51 PM
The colour Hreow - if they are pink, they're fine, if white then not

LMC
08-07-2006, 11:33 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/DSCF0002.jpg

Thinking about it...

Hreow
08-07-2006, 11:36 PM
The colour Hreow - if they are pink, they're fine, if white then not

I thought that was just for anemia. Live, learn. :-)

Moli
09-07-2006, 07:22 AM
What a lovely ending for this lovely boy, so pleased he is with one of us....Now we can see him regularly....

Well Done Emma and LMC!!

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/DSCF0002.jpg

Thinking about it...

:-D :-D :-D :-D ;)

Donna
09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Thats a great photo LMC. Says a lot!

Sweet
09-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Great pic x

Mags
09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
That last pic is brilliant LMC!!! :lol:

LMC
09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, he's eating, and he actually came out from under the bed to say hello this morning and enjoyed a fuss. Played with his catnip toy a bit and then retired back under the bed... just to be on the safe side you understand.

He's still not drinking though :( - I'm leaving yesterday's water down as fresh tapwater probably tastes nasty to him, not being used to the chemicals. Older water will at least lose some of the chlorine and I've soaked his biscuits this morning and given him some cat milk - I WILL get some fluids into him somehow!

Nothing in the litter tray yet either, but he hasn't eaten that much and as he hasn't drunk anything since yesterday that's not too surprising. More pics later if I can get some without flash - it's a bit overcast here today.

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
LMC I am glad to hear that he is getting his confidence up a bit.

I did notice when I had him in the cage that he didn't drink any of the water I put down, just the milk. When he was outside before I caught him he did drink from my water feature I have (large pot with a water lilly in it). Perhaps he is used to dirty water.

LMC
09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that. If he still doesn't take in enough liquid by teatime today, I'll raid the water butt and see if he'll drink some of the water out of there.

Donna
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
If its rainy where you are today LMC put a bowl outside to catch some fresh rainwater x

LMC
09-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Overcast, but no rain yet. Good idea Donna, but I'm hoping he'll get used to tapwater as if we have a run of really hot weather again, rainwater could be a problem! Snowy, my half-feral cat, rarely drinks out of the water bowl, she prefers "outside" water, but she will drink tapwater if it's not too "fresh" (and full of chlorine :roll: ). He's weed in the litter tray and has scoffed some biccies, which I have soaked in water, so he's doing well :)

Jac
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
What a grat ending. You can have some of our water its pouring here.

Hreow
09-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, he's eating, and he actually came out from under the bed to say hello this morning and enjoyed a fuss. Played with his catnip toy a bit and then retired back under the bed... just to be on the safe side you understand...

Of course! Wouldn't want to give you the wrong idea at this stage! :grin:

Boiling the water and then cooling it may get rid of the tap taste as well

dinahsmum
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Glad to catch up with this. Best of everything to you both.

Does boiling tap-water drive off more chemicals than just letting it stand? Cooled pre-boiled water might appeal to him more.

What about Wilko (for Jonny Wikinson) - a pretty boy, not fat, but very male?...and nearly Willow!

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
How has the little fella got on this afternoon LMC? is he still under the bed ??

LMC
09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
It's still his favourite place, but he's coming out from under there when I come into the room. He escaped when I opened the door earlier :shock: - but didn't go any further than the top of the stairs and didn't object to being scooped up and put back!

He's eating biccies soaked in water, and purring like a little train.

Settled well - he even got a "Bloody cat!" earlier when he decided to play with my toes - ouch!

Think he's going to get a bit bored shut in here, but he'll just have to cope for a couple of days - I might let him have the run of the upstairs during the day after that (I can shut the girls downstairs) but he'll have to come back in the spare room overnight.

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Well sounds as if he is doing really well especially if he is escaping and playing with your toes!!! lol

I must admit I did miss him today :( Even the OH asked a couple of time if there was any news on him.

As you say he might get a bit bored but he is a young cat, your four girls are not going to know what has hit them when he meets them!!! lol

LMC
09-07-2006, 09:53 PM
You'll be wanting some more pics then?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/DSCF0004.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/DSCF0001-1.jpg

Hreow
09-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Cruel, demanding lot that we are, YES! :-D

He'll take over your house in no time. :-)

Mags
09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Just look how shiny his coat is now.....and what a lovely colour it is.........:D

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Lol just spotted the cat milk!!! lol

Love the photo of him playing!!!! such a darling little cat :)

LMC
09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
He is a darling - and as Mags said, his coat is improving SO rapidly.

He's not meowed at all since coming home - but he does make the cutest growly noises when he's sleeping, and earlier when a couple of noisy kids walked past while he was eating!

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM
In a couple of weeks time he is going to look like a completely different cat!! and such a healthy one I think :)

I was reading about Russian Blues yesterday evening and I do wonder if he is one or one of his parents were ?? His temperament and looks (triangle head, colour of eyes) do seem to fit the breed very well. It will be interesting to see what colour his coat is after it fully thickens up.

lol at the growly noises!!!

LMC
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
I wonder if you found the same website as I did? - I looked 'em up too, and suspect he may be Russian Blue, but probably pet quality. I don't care what he is really, he's luvverly!

Except just now, as he's sat next to me on the bed and has just farted :shock:

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh yes!!! perhaps I should have mentioned about the wind!! lol lol I notice it when he was in the shed!!!! pewwwwww!!!! lol lol Perhaps it will improve with the better food you are feeding him ;) lol lol

As you say he could be pet quality but quite rightly it doesn't really matter as he is just such a love bug...I reckon he is going to be a real mummys boy :)

Fran
09-07-2006, 10:16 PM
The 'wind' could be due to a wormy tummy??

LMC
09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Good point Fran, and I will worm him - didn't want to do it yesterday as I'd just Strongholded him and both in one day might have been a bit much!

Couldn't see any worms in litter earlier, so burden hopefully not too bad.

EmmaG
09-07-2006, 10:22 PM
There was no worms I could see when he used the litter tray at ours LMC, as he had a few fleas on him I thought I would check.

LMC
09-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Right, he's now been wormed - thanks for reminder, didn't want to do it yesterday on top of the Stronghold, but forgot today so far in all the excitement :oops: - bought tabs on Fri for all 5 of 'em, will do the others tomorrow.

He was a bad boy of course :roll: - cats, pills, etc - but didn't scratch or bite me love him, and was purring again less than a minute later.

Booktigger
09-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Aww, he is lovely, and it is good he is so friendly and playful. Stronghold does treat one kind of worm though. If you are worried about hydration, why dont you feed him some wet food?

LMC
09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
I've been soaking his biccies BT - I tried wet food yesterday but he wasn't impressed and it's too warm to leave it down really. He's happy with the wet biccies, although they look disgusting - like he already ate them :cat36

I've refilled his water bowl from the rainwater butt in the garden too - he might prefer that to tap.

LMC
10-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I was reading about Russian Blues yesterday evening and I do wonder if he is one or one of his parents were ?? His temperament and looks (triangle head, colour of eyes) do seem to fit the breed very well. It will be interesting to see what colour his coat is after it fully thickens up!
The more pictures I look at, the more I am convinced that he is a pedigree - they are apparently a looonnnng legged breed, and he is a very tall cat!

Just to be absolutely on the safe side I have e-mailed the UK Russian Blue Association this morning, with pics, to check that no-one has reported a cat missing. With an emphasis on "I hope not, 'cos I want to keep him!" But even if he's only pet quality, someone would have paid a lot of money for him, and he's got such a sweet nature that I can't believe he wasn't in a loving home. I know how I'd feel if one of my girls went missing, so much as I hope I can keep him, I'd feel terrible if I didn't make absolutely sure that I wasn't inadvertently stealing someone else's cat! I know Emma asked around and had him checked for a chip, so if the lady from the RBBA comes back with a negative, then he's definitely mine with a clear conscience :D

EmmaG
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Good idea LMC, I must admit I do find it very strange that he could be a stray as he is such a loving cat, he has obviously been around people. The only thing I can think of as he is not neutered is that somebody was going to breed from him if he is indeed a Russian Blue, but I would have thought he had a microchip on him??

Wierd eh?? he had fleas, very thin, quite young, no chip, loves people, can use a litter tray, no collar. hmmm I wonder if we will ever be able to work out his history?

Hreow
10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Not all people chip their cats, so he may have escaped before they got round to neutering him, and escaped his collar at the same time.
I hope you do get to keep him, you obviously think the world of him already. Not surprising, from what you write here. :-)

random
10-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Ohhhh just caught up with this, what a happy ending, congratulations to both you and him, sounds like he's in the perfect place! Can't wait to hear about his progress! :D

LMC
11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
48 hour update!

StillNoName (sorry :oops: ) is eating well now and playing. He's still spending a lot of time under the bed - a move from outside to in with new person and other cats is a stressful experience after all - but he always comes out to say hello when I come into the room. We had a short football lesson last night with the ping pong ball (well, I was using my fingers to flick it back at him) - I shall persevere, 'cos unlike my girls, I think he might "get it"!

The poor boy is going a bit stir crazy, although the room is a reasonable size (you could get a double bed in there no problem) he's obviously used to roaming around outside. So, every time I open the door he tries to escape!

That means that three of my girls have seen him, so I left the door open and sat by it last night and we did limited introductions of just a few minutes each one by one over the course of 3 hours or so. Molly sat next to me and hissed at him, Rug touched noses with him, hissed at him, poked around the room, had a good old sniff of the litter tray, tarted around me as usual and then decided she was bored 'cos I wouldn't let her eat his food so she wandered off. Jenny hissed at him and stomped off (she's getting old). The girls were all quite relaxed though: the hissing was half-hearted - more like "I know you're there but you're new so I need to let you know that I'm the boss of you". Good start after he's been here such a short time! He's a big wuss though, went and hid under the bed. He'll come out and talk to them in his own time.

Although I am of course skipping out the litter tray religiously and giving him fresh food in clean bowls at every meal, the room is getting a bit smelly :( - it's still warm outside and I can't leave the window open more than locked on the vent and have to shut the door. So tonight, I'm going to shut the kitchen door, in case he discovers the cat flap, and let him have the run of upstairs for a couple of hours until I go to bed - give the spare room a chance to air.

Hopefully more photos later if he's relaxed enough for me to take 'em :D

Hreow
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
A name will come in due time. He hasn't told you yet, is all.

EmmaG
11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the update LMC, good to hear that he is ok :) and I would love to see more photos of the little chap :)

Mags
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear he is settling in and doing well!........

Fran
11-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Sounds like he is settling in well :D Any more piccies yet?

Snoof
11-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Glad he's doing well. What a lucky duck!

Donna
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Sounds like he will be completely at home in no time!

Kazz
20-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Well anymore updates I realise I have cometo this thread quite late and I am sorry but have you decided on a name yet?