PDA

View Full Version : Darcy off to the vet right now

Pages : [1] 2

yola
05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm just heading out with Darcy for an emergency appointment with the vet. I came home yesterday afternoon to a very lethargic cat who had been (and continued to) vomit white frothy stuff. I've also not seem him eat or drink yesterday or this morning and he's just curled up under the sink in the corner of the bathroom.

So, as much out of a fear of dehydration as much as anything we're heading off to the vet shortly. Hopefully it's just a reaction to the heat, but it's thundery and raining this morning so if that's the case he should be perking up (Fifi certainly has :roll: )

Hreow
05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Oh dear... I hope he's alright... Please let us know as soon as you get back. Fingers crossed for a minor scare, nothing serious, until then.

Ruthlynn
05-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I hope Darcy's okay...what a worry for you!:(

dinahsmum
05-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Much fellow feeling Yola.
It's such a worry.
Hope you get good news at the vets - and quickly

CJK
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Yola, I hope Darcy is ok.
Let us know how he goes.

EmmaG
05-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Hopefully he is ok Yola, try not to worry too much

whiskey
05-07-2006, 09:52 AM
bless lets hope he`s o.k im sure he will be fingers crossed:D :D

CJK
05-07-2006, 10:06 AM
ooh I came back to check if there any news.

Hope all is OK Yola

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Good luck Yola, he's probably dehydrated as you say, hope so.
Dawn.

yola
05-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok, it might be nothing, but it might be quite serious.

Vet gave him a really good feeling over and scuttled off to weigh him and find a colleague :shock: she came back and said they'd had a good feel of his tummy and there was a 'mass'. She said it most likely was some kind of intestinal blockage. Unlikely that it's faeces as that's maleable, possibly a VERY compacted hairball, possibly a 'telescopic' intestine (spasmed and twisted), possibly another kind of blockage due to having eaten something (he like to chew plastic bags), or then something more serious such as a tumour - operable if it's localized in just one area, more tricky if it's spread :(

We had to leave him there. This broke my heart as he really, really just wanted cuddles. There was also shades of Ferdy, who as you may remember I lost under a general anaesthetic just under 2 years ago.

They will hydrate him, sedate him and give him an x-ray and then they'll call me if they need to proceed further . . . I'm so worried to bits about my funny little kitty :( :( :(

CJK
05-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Oh yola, I really feel for you!
It is so very very obvious you truly love darcy, as you do all your cats.

I really do hope it turns out to be semething not serious, and easily cured.
Poor Darcy!
I'll be thinking of you all, and hope the news is good news.

Your vets will take good care of him. You must be missing him so much already though.
Try not to worry too much,easier said than done I Know.

I am sure i can speak for all cat pagers when I say we will all be thinking of you, and hoping from our hearts that Darcy is going to be ok.

Jac
05-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Couldnt have put it better my self CJ.

Thinking about you and Darcy

EmmaG
05-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh no Yola, I really just hope it isn't anything more than just a hairball.

yola
05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone. Well, Darcy's just gone into theatre. There is a 'mass' obstructing his intestive so they need to open him up and take a look. Vet said she'd call as soon as they know what it is . . .

Oh dear :(

EmmaG
05-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Oh no Yola :( My Lucy had exactly the same thing happen, she was being sick a lot (frothy fluid), and she had lymphomas. I will keep my fingers crossed that they can remove the mass

Hugs to you Yola

CJK
05-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh yola, I am so sorry to hear Darcy needs operating on.
I hope he will be ok,bless his little heart.

Hang about Cp if you like, i am sure there are a few of us who will chat to you.

Just hang on in there yola, We're all rooting for him. Praying he is ok.

CJK
05-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I just have to pop offline to get elliot some lunch fixed.
If there s any news before I am back I hope it is the best possible news.

try and relax and not worry too Much Yola.

CJK
05-07-2006, 12:22 PM
you've gone quiet yola. I hope it's because you've been told Darcy will be ok.

Gosh< I am sitting here worrying about if he is going to be ok, and I ahve never even met him, but i konw what a worrying time it can be.

Donna
05-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear Darcy is not well Yola. Fingers crossed it is nothing too serious x

SillyTilly
05-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I am really sorry Yola - leaving an animal at the vets is horrid. I've had to do it a few times with the rats and the horses and it's horrible.

Healing thoughts for little Darcy and I hope he's soon home bouncing around like normal.

And hugs for you.

Olivia

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Poor Darcy, I expect its a hairball, I hope its a hairball. He's in the right place Yola, keep us informed.
Dawn.

yola
05-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Darcy has been accumulating a huge furball!!!! He's slowly coming around from the anaesthesia and I'm to call at about 4pm to see if I can go up and see him.

However, the vet said that there may still be an underlying cause for the obstruction as the intestine was very sore and red in the area of the furball and the lymph node was enlarged and enflamed too. She's taken a biopsy of both and sent to the lab to get them checked out.

They will be keeping him in for between 3-5 days as the inside of the intestine is not sterile and there is a (small) risk of peritonitis - he will be medicated and monitored during this time.

Well - at the moment I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief . . . although we might not be completely out of the woods yet. However, for now the news is positive, and I will risk a little smile :-)

Thank you all once again for your kind and supportive words . . . it's meant a lot :smt052

CJK
05-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank goodness he came through the operation ok.
I bet thats a HUGE relief.
GOod to hear that he is recovering well.
Hope his recovery continues to go smoothly, and let's hope the biopsy results are good.

so pleased to hear he is ok

EmmaG
05-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh thank god for that!!!!

I wish him a speedy recovery Yola and I hope the hairball was all it was :)

candyshandy
05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Phew - thank god it was a hairball.

Fingers crossed the test results confirm that.

(((hugs)))

Naomi
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Blimey I'm so glad it's good news for you with regards to the 'mass'

Fingers crossed the rest of the results wil be good too

Sweet
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh Yola, I have only just logged on - been out.

Poor Darcy, I am so glad to read as I went through the thread that he is ok and it was just a furball which needed help to be removed.

I hope the results come back clear.

My love and thoughts with you and hugs to Darcyx

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 01:58 PM
PHEW!! Hairballs do cause inflammation Yola, a Cat I board had them removed they said similar, very sore intestines etc... he was fine and it never re-occured. You will have to look out for the hairball remedies now for Darcy.
Dawn.

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Perhaps something like this.

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/default.aspx?page=126
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=LAXAPET
Dawn.

yola
05-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank you for those links Dawn. All 3 persians are currently on Persian 30 from Royal Canin, however as Darcy seems to have a predisposition to furballs I might buy the more active 32 and serve a 50/50 mix to prevent this occuring again.

The link for the gel is also useful; possibly as a food supplement in addition to the dry food the cats regularly eat and to help at times of high fur shedding. They do all however have regular bowel movements so I don't want to create extra problems. I'll talk to the vet about that one!

Kim
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
I have only just caught up with this Yola. So sorry that you have had such a worrying time, but thank goodness it is ONLY a hairball!! Hope he continues to recover well.

CJK
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
can i just ask, do ALL persians need the hairball remedy all the time?
I feed darcy and princess on royal canin persian, I havent read anywhere that they need hairball remedies other than hairball control food. But obviously if they do i'll get it for them right away.

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I feed darcy and princess on royal canin persian, I havent read anywhere that they need hairball remedies other than hairball control food. But obviously if they do i'll get it for them right away.
I have never fed it, but if you have one that grooms excessively then it might be a good option.
Dawn.

yola
05-07-2006, 02:37 PM

CJ - I've only ever fed persian formula RC from nearly day one with Fifi and Balie. That seems to be sufficient for them. They both vomit furballs, but not excessively, most fur seems to pass through quite easily. However Darcy obviously has a problem with them; and this could have been exacerbated by the extremely hot weather (they lick more) coupled with the fact that I'm not grooming them as frequently as I'm less mobile and can't fit them on my lap readily :roll:

But as they are all getting on a bit (Balie is 9, Fifi nearly 9 and Darcy 5), maybe a little additional assistance to chase those furballs through would not be a bad thing :shock:

So I would say, unless you've experience a similar problem or they are vomitting furballs on a daily basis, I would stick with what you currently use (others, of course may have a different experience to mine).

CJK
05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks dawn, thanks yola.
I just got a bit worried there that I Hadnt read something that they needed, and hence they werent getting it!

Sorry to have invaded your thread yola!
MD and princess dont groom a lot really, theyre both combed everyday so i guess they'll be fine.

BEst wishes for a speedy recovery for your darcy xx

Fran
05-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh Yola, I have only just caught up with this thread :( What a worrying time for you :( I really hope that Darcy makes a quick and full recovery and that he is soon back home with you where he belongs x

dinahsmum
05-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Oh phew!
I was worried all the time I was window shopping with MIL.
Best wisheds for an uneventful recovery for the wee one.
And, even allowing for yet to arrive junior, a nice glass of something chilled for Yola ;)

Donna
05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Glad it was a hairball Yola and hope that the test results prove negative. I am sure they will. Darcy must of been all irritated and sore inside so would expect it not to look to pretty at the time the vet operated. But I suppose they are just dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

yola
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I went up to see him at about 6pm tonight. Bless the little chap . . . he was sat in his cage with a day-glo pink bandage on his paw, a shaved neck with some pin-pricks in it and a VERY large dressing on his stomach. Vet said that the furball was about 6 inches long. My poor, groggy, crumpled little fella.

But at least he's still with us :)

And DM - I'm sat sipping a cold glass of Italian white as I type anticipating my 1st Italian lesson which will commence at 8pm ;)

borderdawn
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Great news Yola, he'll be home before you know it.
Dawn.

dinahsmum
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Bueno, bueno. (is that Italian? Don't know!)
Parliamo Italiano

Mags
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I've only just caught up with this thread.........so sorry to hear about Darcy, Yola.:(
I hope he makes a speedy recovery and returns to his mum as soon as possible....

CJK
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
hmm only italian i was taught by exchange students was to swear and to sing la bamba at karoke!!

Glad you seen the little fella, bet he missing his mommy

Booktigger
05-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I have only just caught up with this, and am so glad to hear that it is only a furball, and has been removed. I am sure the inflammation is nothing to worry about.

Moli
05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I too have just caught up with this, so pleased he is going to be ok...

yola
06-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Darcy's home - hurrah!!!!! Ealier than I would have liked, but he was refusing to eat or drink and getting quite bolshie with the nurses and vets.

1st thing he did when let out of his carrier was to have a long drink and an even longer wee :roll:

He's now reclining on the floor frantically washing the vet practice smell off himself.

I have to take him back for a checkup just before lunch tomorrow . . . . but I won't be 100% happy until I know he's out of the woods with both the biopsy results and the peritonitis risk.

Donna
06-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Glad he is home Yola - am sure he will get over this hiccup quickly x

Hreow
06-07-2006, 07:03 PM
That doesn't sound like a desperately ill cat to me. :grin: Bolshie with the staff, dear me. :-D Of course you'll have to wait for the results, but at last you have your cat reasonably fighting fit and back where he belongs.

SillyTilly
06-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Glad he's home - it's so worrying when they're ill isn't it!

Olivia

Fran
06-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Glad he is home where he belongs Yola :-)

Sweet
06-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear he is back home with his family x

Mags
06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Excellent news Yola.......I'm sure Darcy will pick up in leaps and bounds now he is home with you....:D

Naomi
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm sooo glad he's home with you Yola

Fingers crossed he'll make a speedy recovery

dinahsmum
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
So glad he's home Yola.
Min did exactly the same on arriving home - they'd tried and tried for a wee sample, she got home, went outside and did the biggest wee in the world - I could see the stream!
Sure that's a good, defiant sign!
Take care x

borderdawn
06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Yola that is great news, I am really pleased, I thought about him to day at the show, glad he is on the mend.
Dawn.

yola
06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone!!! He's refused his Hills Prescription mush and biscuits and gone straight for the Royal Canin, although I'm limiting what he's eating.

His scar is MASSIVE!!!! He's rolled onto his back a couple of times and it looks really scary and big. I'll try and get a picture to show you, it's not red or angry or anything, just looks a bit like the edge of an uncooked cornish pastie :shock: :shock: :shock:

However, I'm sure I will be spending most of tomorrow trying to keep Dominik away from Darcy as he has a habit of 'cuggling' him around the middle :shock:

EmmaG
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Excellent news Yola, I am glad he is home :) and recovering well

smithdouglaswood
06-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Glad he is home where he belongs and on the road to recovery.

Take care.

Angie and the gang

DiddyDawn
07-07-2006, 01:29 AM
So pleased he's alright.

Booktigger
07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
I am glad that he is home and seeming well, I am sure the test results wont show anything.

dinahsmum
07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
" just looks a bit like the edge of an uncooked cornish pastie :shock: :shock: :shock: "

Lovely description! Bet it heals really quickly.
How is he this morning?

LMC
07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Have been following thread, although this is first post on it - sorry to hear about poorly Darcy and glad to hear that it was "only" a hairball - hope the biopsy results come back OK. Fingers crossed that the inflammation was just due to all that non-sterile hair clogging up the system and that he makes a quick recovery.

yola
10-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Darcy's been improving over the weekend, but this morning I noticed a stitch was loose. He has a little gaping opening in his tummy. So I have brought forward this afternoon's appointment to 9.45. He's not been worrying the stitches, but has been doing a lot of jumping and catrobatics so it could be that he's bumped his tummy or caught it :shock:

Have to run now to get Domi off to nursery and then back home to collect Darcy and then off up to the vet!!!

CJK
10-07-2006, 08:40 AM
hope it goes ok at the vets yola, and darcy' stitches are ok.

Fran
10-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Good luck at the vets Yola! let us know how Darcy is x

dinahsmum
10-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Hope that's just a tiny setback. Maybe they'll be happy to leave it? Maybe staple (eek - but quick and no anaesthetic). xxxx s to Darcy

yola
10-07-2006, 10:49 AM
OK, well it hasn't actually come apart - just me being a panic-head :roll: ; the skin edges have moved and slightly opened :shock: that's why it's showing pink, but it's not opened enough to worry about it and also the stitch is still in place albeit it has moved a little.

So panic over!!!

Stitches to come out on Saturday + biopsy result then also.

Fran
10-07-2006, 10:50 AM
What a relief Yola! Better to get it checked out than not though. Glad all is going well with his recovery

CJK
10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Glad to hear the little fella is recovering as expected and the stitches are ok.
Hope it's good news saturday!

Mags
10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Glad all is well with Darcy's tum Yola........it was worth checking out though.....

borderdawn
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Pleased he is on the mend Yola.
Dawn.

Donna
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Glad his stitches are holding up x

CJK
15-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Yola. how is your darcy doing now? Hope he is ok, any news on thsoe results?

yola
15-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Darcy has received the all-clear . . . HURRAH!!!!!

Biopsy normal, under the circumstances (the blockage), stitches out and no need to return to vet for further checks :D :D :D .

The boy himself seems to have perked up since stitch removal, and has been following me around the house since getting back about an hour ago.

The fur is already growing back on his belly; and he and the others seems to be tucking in wonderfully to the new 50/50 mix of standard Persian Royal Canin mixed with the intense furball formula . . . and there were copious 'gifts' for me in the litter tray this morning, a sure sign that things are 'moving along through' :shock:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of sympathy and encouragement - it's meant a lot to Darcy and to me :-D

Mags
15-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Good news about Darcy, Yola!

You can do without all this extra worry at the moment........;)

Hreow
15-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Bet they were very welcome "presents" even if not *exactly* what you had wished for. :grin:
Glad Darcy's back to normal and happy with the food. So much easier when it's not pills...

Donna
15-07-2006, 05:56 PM
So glad Darcy has the ALL CLEAR Yola. You must be so relieved x

CJK
15-07-2006, 06:18 PM
aww that IS good news Yola, so pelased to here the little fella is getting back to normal and that he got the all clear, bless him!
my little lot send thier purrs and hugs to him!

Booktigger
15-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Am so glad to hear he got the all clear

borderdawn
15-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Glad he is ok, was thinking about him this morning, good news Yola.
Dawn.

dandysmom
15-07-2006, 09:05 PM
A happy ending to this thread!

Sweet
17-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I am catching up.......

Excellent news he was given the all clear x

yola
21-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Hmmm - right we're probably off to the vet 1st thing tomorrow as Darcy has thrown up foul smelling, brown liquid twice this evening and is looking very down and lethargic.

I'm wondering (having just read Elaine's CRF thread) if there is something underlying all this? I did read Darcy's notes on the PC screen whilst the vet was out of the room last week, and it did say hs bloods shown mild anaemia.

I'm wondering why this wasn't mentioned to me?????????

Mags
21-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh dear, I do hope Darcy will be alright Yola :(

Good luck at the vets tomorrow.....

Elaine
21-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Yola, I am so sorry to hear about Mr Darcy. Anemia can be caused by many things and not only specific to CRF, so try not to worry too much. I would ask the vet for a copy of and to explain any blood tests though. That way you may get a better understanding of what may be causing him to be sick.
All the best for the vet visit tomorrow xxx

Moli
21-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Good luck at the vets tomorrow Yola.....

Booktigger
21-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Everything crossed for tomorrow.

dandysmom
22-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Sending good vibes for the vet visit tomorrow...poor Mr. Darcy!:(

dinahsmum
22-07-2006, 08:29 AM
This wasn't supposed to happen. Maybe he has a little post-op infection?
Best wishes to him and you Yola

EmmaG
22-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Good luck Yola, I hope it isn't serious x

candyshandy
22-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Got everything crossed.

xx

yola
22-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Darcy was a lot brighter this morning but we still took him down for a look-over. The bet said the anaemia was so mild it wasn't worth mentioning and not to worry about it.

He poked and prodded for obsructions, checked temp and hydration and everything was normal.

Thinking back, he was guzzling some tuna water I put down yesterday which he doesn't normally do so that could have made his tummy go a bit funny.

Needless to say, we will be watching him closely over the next couple of days!

Elaine
22-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Could have just been a bit of tummy acid after guzzling the tuna water, especially if he doesnt normally have it.
Glad it all went well and he is much brighter. Sorry if my CRF post got you worried. xxx

Mags
22-07-2006, 01:39 PM
What a relief to know Darcy is ok!!

You really can do without these worries now Yola:roll::D

dinahsmum
22-07-2006, 02:23 PM
That was worth logging on for. Pleased to hear all appears to be well. Give that boy a severe talking to - mummy has to take it easy etc!

yola
22-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Sorry if my CRF post got you worried. xxx

Not at all Elaine - don't apologize . . . it just galvanized me into action that's all :D

Sweet
22-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh Yola, just caught up again, been offline for a few days.....

Glad to hear Darcy's Vet appointment went ok. x

Donna
22-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Just caught up again too! Glad Darcy only had a hiccup in his recovery and all is well x

Fran
22-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Great news!! Glad Darcy is ok :D

borderdawn
22-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Norty Darcy worrying us all! Glad he is ok Yola.
Dawn.