PDA

View Full Version : Introducing dogs and cats

dinahsmum
03-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Thought this might be useful. If the thread turns out well perhaps we could ask Azz to put a sticky on it ..... or maybe we could even write an article! :shock:

Anyway - all experiences/hints and tips will be welcome here. I'll put my own in a separate post in the thread.

dinahsmum
03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
OK - my current experience.
2 kittens now 11 weeks, who grew up dogless. Have had them 4 weeks.
1 friendly but bouncy nearly 2 year old staffie bitch
1 elderly siamese now, lost a second oldie a couple of months ago.

The kittens didn't meet the dog at all - or (as far as I know) know there was a dog in the house, and vice versa for the first 2+ weeks until they had settled in, knew their way around the parts of the house they were allowed and (I hope) were confident in me.

First real meeting, after a very fleeting one with the dog on a lead. In the living room, dog in her bed but with a barrier (puppy pen, brought out of retirement). First view - dog excited and wanting to meet/greet/snuffle kits. Kits extremely wary. (explosion in mattress factory style, every hair on end). After an hour or so the kits were brave enough to approach and sniff gingerly. Repeated for 2 more sessions. Removed barrier but told dog to stay in her bed.

Then just continued step by step.

They are now fine, (but I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised yet). Each approaches the other and the kits swear if they think the dog has overstepped the mark. She rolls onto her back!

Previously in my life, when the dog has either been older or (once) a puppy, and where I have been introducing only one new pet, it has been absolutely no problem My one pair of eyes can always watch the one newcomer and ensure it doesn't get into trouble.

Luke
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Well we have allways had dogs and cats together-of varying ages and they have allways got on great (with the slight exception of Elsa)...we allways found to have the new pupy/kitten in their secure area, crate/puppy pen, and just let the other pets roam around and get used to the sight and smells of the new baby....and then after a few days the little one is usually beating the oldies up!
Never really had a problem introducing the dogs and cats together...with the exception of an elderly British Shorthair we took in once who decided she quite adamentlly hated the dogs.
I think people often make the mistake of seperating the new puppy/kitten from the older cats/dogs for example putting the new animal in a locked room away from the other pets-this seems to create that almost jealousy factor then IMO.

dinahsmum
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree Luke - I'm taking it slower this time because of the 2 at once..... less easy to keep track of than a whole bag of monkeys!

Rosie
05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Will let you know how I get on. Little Huey arriving this Saturday so I will be off work for over a week. He will have the spare bedroom but I am putting a wire grille over the door so that Rosie (cat) and Holly (lurcher) can watch but not touch for the first day or so. Then I intend to keep Holly on the lead and see what Huey does when the grille is taken off.