02-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Lovely pic x

dandysmom
03-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Love that plumy tail!!

Elaine
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Who's walking whom? :grin:

Bernie is walking ME ofcourse:lol: Got one of those extendable leads at the weekend which has made things easier for both of us:lol: Just need to get the cash together to cat proof the garden so he can roam it freely.

Donna
03-07-2006, 03:37 PM
What I have always wondered when I have seen cats on harnesses, is what do you do if they crawl under a fence or go up a tree - do you go with them???????????? lol!!

Hreow
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
And...are you easy to train to a lead, or are you a right head-ache to the poor cat? :-D

You can either distract them from going places you can't follow, stop them with the lead, or bring a spare lead/shoelace to attach to them while you untangle the original. *Short* second lead is recommended for this, not another cat's-cradle opportunity. Cursing is optional but it does help. :grin: I've just unhooked Rover when he's gone up trees and have so far managed to coax him down (yew) or climb halfway up after him (oak?) to help make footholds with my hands, then lower him off on the lead (close enough to the trunk that he can carry some of his weight by climbing down with it). I have the scabby bruise on my forehead still to prove the latter. :roll:

Elaine
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanx for those tips Hreow. We did get into a wee bit of a muddle at one point with an outdoor chair;)

dandysmom
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
When I was walking mine, when they tried to go to a no no place, I would just hold on to the lead so they couldn't go, and just keep repeating "No, no, NOT our yard" or not whatever; they eventually got it after a while. As to trees, both Sultan & Dandy would dash up one as far as the leash would permit...oh, maybe 6 feet, & just stop there as they couldn't go any higher, hang there for a few minutes & then run down face forward!!

Hreow
03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Just like DM, I've used the non-give lead and firm "no" to keep Rover from going under parked cars, and the same and "staaay" for when the odd car passes us on the back road, when I remove the lead/harness or put them back on. It does seem to carry on to the times he's off the lead. He remembers that I don't let him crawl under cars, and crounches when there is traffic. Though the latter is not completely reliable, there are a few car engines he really cannot abide.

dandysmom
03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I've never used an extendable lead; would feel much less in control that way; with the fixed length I am more or less in charge; also they are in grabbing range if there is any danger approaching (free-running dog, etc)!