PDA

View Full Version : What treats do you give your cats

SillyTilly
01-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Particulary things you can feed from the hand? Or should you not hand feed cats treats?

Also are there any veggie treats they can have? I've got some yummy strawberries for the rats and I to enjoy tomorrow - can the kittens have some?

Cheers

Olivia

Hreow
02-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Chicken-breast from our Sunday roast. Can't think of a reason you shouldn't hand-feed cats. Make sure you discourage them if they get "snappy" from excitement, if you're offring something extra nice (We have a light coughing noise that means (and is understood as) "I don't like".) and we make sure we give him those treats quickly so we're not teasing him.
Rover likes cooked carrots, don't think they will harm him, and butternut squash soup (oddly) for veg. Strawberries might be somewhat acidic - don't know if that's a problem, though. Cats are obligate carnivores and are supposed to eat mostly meat, so I'm not quite sure how much of a treat veg is in general.

dandysmom
02-07-2006, 02:57 AM
None of mine have ever eaten any vegetables or fruit. Leia doesn't care for people food, even prawns or chicken (unlike my previous cats!), so her treats are some extra dry food...she normally has moist. I do hand feed her some freshly picked grass..she is a house cat...and fresh catnip leaves. She's careful not to bite the hand that's feeding her:roll: Cats are carnivores, but in the natural state when they consume their prey they do get some vegetable matter from the intestinal tract.

Sweet
02-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Violet and Mau Mau love roast meat when I roast on a Tuesday! yep I know it should be Sunday! LOL.

Mau Mau loves ham - not sure if she should have it mind! but she seems to know when we have it in the fridge!

Vincent and Mabel too young yet x

Mags
02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Cassie loves ham and a small piece of cheese........

caddy_dabby
18-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Alfie loves chicken.
Tinker loves any kind of meat as long as you hand feed it him.

Kazz
18-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Never given a cat of mine veg or fruit...however Cleo like cheese, squirty cream, ham.

Emm
18-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I buy my cats cooked meat to give for treats and hand feed it to them they also get sheba and tuna as treat foods every now and then

dinahsmum
19-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Ham, chicken, cheese, pasta (but not yet for the babies - they are cheered enough by their regular food!)
Tizzie used to love crisps and crispy things. Very bad for her (salty) so I'd blow or suck the salt off first :roll:

Kazz
19-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Oscar could smell out a bag of scatchings from a mile away, he adored scratchings :roll: I put it down to the days of my youth when friends used to potter over to wat for a taxi at my flat after a night in the pub. They would feed him scratchings.

Donna
19-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Cheese and any fishy stuff - fishy treats/biscuits. Gotta be careful tho as Misty is a pig - woke up to sick this morning as she had overindulged on fish and chip shop fish last night!

CathyW
19-07-2006, 10:02 PM
sqirty cream. cheese from the tube primula. pilchards in tomatoe sauce.

tillytails
20-07-2006, 10:36 AM
My two never scrounge, except one will jump up on the work-surface if I'm prepping veg and will pinch raw broccoli and cucumber and snaffle those down :shock:

Kitzyme and GoodGirl drops are the commercial treats they like.