PDA

View Full Version : Catpens?!?!?!?

Luke
29-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Right Dawns post has promted my train of thoughts again......we have a fair amount of space in the gangway part of the garden that is totally dissused!! It measures about 13 feet long...4 feet wide and just over 6foot in height (to the top of the wall)...and it gets sun..but is nice and shaded too!
Well the thing is....a neighbour who had a cat of similar age to Elsa ( a bengal) lost him in a RTA this morning, and he was neutered and didnt go too far...but the 'big roads' by our cul-de-sac have become increasinglly busy of late..and since the new part of the hospital has been built it is expected to be rather busy!! Which means more of a road danger to the cats...so had the idea of an outdoor cat pen! The fields are also becoming less and less 'trustworthy' with the local yobs with dogs that are around their..in general its all a worry!
Elsa would use it i'm sure...and Clementine may, given the chance....but i feel as if i'm robbing them of their freedom slightly...but i just cant help doubting myself everytime i open the backdoor for them:?
So anyone have any ideas of sorta 'contructions' for a cat pen?
Any advice on what sorta figures we would be talking to build it?
Any advice on how to get two cats, one who likes a potter but the other has become quite the roamer, used to it?
Also...what do you all think, in general, of the prospective plan?

smudgley
29-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Personally (& it's only my opinion) I wouldn't keep my own cats confined to a pen, just because I like them to do what they want / when they want. Not saying it's wrong, but it's not right for me & my cats. I take the chance of my cats being allowed free, I know the heartache that comes with this as I lost a cat in a RTA last year, but if I could turn back the clock, I wouldn't have done anything different.

As for the pen itself, for a professional pen - even the cheapest you are talking a few hundred pounds with the run, but for a lined / insulated one they can be a lot more - even thousands. You could make one for a small amount using a wooden construction with a run made to fit.

Kazz
29-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I am like Smudgley I would not keep a cat of mine confined to a pen, I too lost a cat to a RTA my first cat Archie (my baby) a totally adorable and lovable cat.
But I did not keep Oscar and Cleo confined and never will do although when I first got them I lived in a flat converted from a old house I lived on the first floor but sorted a way to let them out. But the sizes you quote I have no idea if thats enough room Luke, could you not consider what Dawn did and "cat proof the garden" so they have access to the outside but not past the garden.

borderdawn
29-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Agree here, I would never shut the Cats in, its there and they use it, I suppose I could shut them in if ever an occasion cropped up, but would not keep them in all the time.

I know what you mean about the roads Luke, losing Darcy made me make some changes here as you know , with inverted fencing etc.. but I wouldnt want them totally confined.

Has Elsa been spayed yet? if not, maybe she will be less inclined to wander off when she has? obviously you dont want her wandering off either till she has, accidents and all. If you still want to go ahead, there are loads of sites that do pens, but a better idea of the area you are talking about would be gfood, a pic maybe?
Dawn.

dandysmom
29-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I wish with all my heart that I had been able to let my cats run free; but I live in the City on a heavily trafficed road (bus route also) and am only 2 blocks from the woods...we frequently have raccoons, possums and the occasional fox right here in the alley and gardens...and coyotes have been sighted in Rock Creek Park, which is contiguous with my woods....so mine are strictly house cats. All of them have been harness trained and enjoy outdoor sojourns. (Except Leia, who is scared of outdoors). If I had space I would have loved to have a pen to let them enjoy a half day outside. Luke, this isn't aswering your question; sorry, I am rabbiting on! Personally, I like the idea of it, especially as you say the traffic is getting worse and then there is the dog danger...but it might be hard for your two who are used to roaming to be confined. Think hard & long if a longer life & safety is more important than freedom and happiness... hard decision....

Luke
29-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your advice folks.....I will think a bit more on the thought....but there is allways the option of 'cat-proofing' too.....

CathyW
29-06-2006, 09:50 PM
my 2 used to be outdoor cats, but i always was worried for them, now they are indoor cats and i feel better knowing they are safe, thers a busy main road near us (the north circular) if i had the way is build my 2 a pen so they could have a safe play outside.

Kazz
29-06-2006, 10:50 PM
To those of you who live in big cities and on main roads I understand you keeping your cats safe.

Karen

Moli
29-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I have always been lucky, live right out in the country, but still my cats only get out a few hours a day....Think if I lived in a built up area I would keep them in...

dandysmom
30-06-2006, 12:12 AM
To those of you who live in big cities and on main roads I understand you keeping your cats safe.

KarenThanks, Kazz! I do feel so guilty sometimes, especially reading posts about others outdoors fun, but I just could not stand one of my babies being killed by a car or savaged by another animal...mine may not have had the happiest lives, but they all lived very long and were well loved and safe indoors...

Luke
30-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Okay well after reading your posts and doing some research on the net...oh and seeing my two girlies catching the butterflies in the garden this morning, i've decided it isnt fair to deprive them of what comes natural for my needs/worries etc.

Fran
30-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't think I could take away the freedom my existing cats have always known by putting them in a pen/run but the fact that I want to show Porsha and keep her entire for a good while will mean it's not practical for her to have the freedom to roam. The run we have made for her is about 14ft x 12 ft and just over 6 ft high, so it's more like an outdoor room really. It also has a shed attached which is 8ft x 6ft, is insulated, boarded out, heaters and light and electric. I see it as a way of her getting some fresh air and being able to experience some outside life whilst keeping her safe - after all she will have known no different so surely can't miss what she has never had?

smudgley
30-06-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree Fran ~~ that is a great way of letting your new baby get some fresh air & at the same time be safe. If I were to have a pedigree cat to breed / show - I would do the same.

Kazz
30-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Yep if I had a pedigree cat I wanted to breed then I would do the same.:-D

Mags
30-06-2006, 02:17 PM
That sounds very good Fran......Porsha will have lots of room, plenty of fresh air and loads on interesting things to watch!:D