PDA

View Full Version : A question about neutered toms..

Luke
29-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Right..mom and i were having a discussion over lunch about the next feline (STOP!!!-we are NOT getting a kitten before anyone asks, and it isnt for any CLOSE future!) to the household....and we both agreed it would be a slightly older rescue...pref a ginger!! (:-D), but would depend on home check as we were told a no for even fostering cuz of the dogs being terriers and would "kill cats" despite living with one:roll:...anyway we were talking about the appropriate sex..and i said i would love a tom (neutered naturally)..and mom went onto say about the pong....and i said that they dont spray once neutered which is what i was allways lead to believe, however i read on another forum that they can still spray once had the snip-is this true?

Fran
29-06-2006, 04:06 PM
It certainly is true Luke although they don't seem as inclined to do it as entire Tom's and it doesn't tend to smell as much. I have had neutered Toms that have never sprayed once neutered and others that spray in times of 'stress' for example when a new cat has been brought into the home or if they themselves have been unwell. Incidently, did you know female cats can spray too ;)

CJK
29-06-2006, 04:08 PM
oatmeal was "done" as soon as he was old enough, and he's a litle ******, sprays up the side of my leather armchair! (hence cleaning with zoflora everyday lol)

but they are less inclined to spray, and I must agree with fran, it doesnt smell nearly as bad!

Luke
29-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Ahhhh okay-i allways knew the girlies could and do sprey-Elsa does-A LOT:shock:
Thanks for answering the question ladies!:D

Kazz
29-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Well I have owned a neutured Tom for longer than I care to recall and neither he (Oscar) nor his sister (Cleo) have ever sprayed EVER in the house or garden - wonder why that is.

dinahsmum
29-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I've never had a neutered tom spray indoors. And my most prolific outdoor sprayer was Tizzie, who used to regularly back into bushes! :lol:

yola
29-06-2006, 04:57 PM
The only experience I have is with my ex-stray Ferdy, who we had neutered at an age far more advanced that kitten. He sprayed for about a week until the hormones subsided and then only, very rarely, would he spray in the garden to obliterate the scent of another tom. But never again in the house even though there were other cats (none-spraying ones to be fair).

So I guess it depends on the cat is the answer!!

Mags
29-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I had a neutered tom who never sprayed in the house......although he did ocassionally outdoors........

Moli
29-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Both Leo and Merlin spray in the garden, but never in the house...

JemBob
29-06-2006, 07:36 PM
oscar never does it to mark his owner EG: ME :shock: he head butts me and wipe his body all over me smells then walks off! every morning when am getting dressed!

dandysmom
29-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I've had four neutered toms over my lifetime & none ever sprayed in the house. My Aby sprayed regularly ourdoors to mark his territory; none of the three females ever sprayed at all, although I know they could. And the odor is much less horrible from a neuter.

Hreow
30-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Well I have owned a neutured Tom for longer than I care to recall and neither he (Oscar) nor his sister (Cleo) have ever sprayed EVER in the house or garden - wonder why that is.
Because they felt safe and never needed to? If they're not hormone-bound to, or habitual, they only spray to mark their core territory and then only if they feel they need to defend it. (Possibly medical reasons as well, only *almost" a vet, so I wouldn't know. :-D)

CathyW
30-06-2006, 11:57 AM
barnaby used to spray outside, but ron n reg dont.

Kay
30-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Luke you can get neutered toms that spray as can some spayed females as well. It is true that some entire males never spray. My stud cat Tate has lived inside all his life, he is 5, and has never sprayed even when the girls are calling. It is the norm however for a tom neutered before reaching sexual maturity is less likely to.