PDA

View Full Version : Cats in Rescue

Rosie
27-06-2006, 03:18 PM
How do so many cats get into rescue? If I saw a cat on the street I would not automatically assume that it was a stray. Most of the cats that I see advertised in rescue appear to be in good health. I know the RSPCA tell people to put back cats where they found them as they are usually just out minding their own business so how come so many cats arrive in rescue:smt102

Hreow
27-06-2006, 03:31 PM
At a guess? Accidental (serial) litters turned in because they're too much, and cats turned in by the owners (as "strays" or not) for being cats, rather than ornaments. There will no doubt be some kittens from feral colonies, removed to keep the colony from exploding. Think the practice with adult cats is to neuter and return?
And a few heart-rendering examples where the owner, despite their best efforts, can't keep the cat due to needing to go into a home that won't accept pets, or severely allergic offspring.

smudgley
27-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hreow - agree totally.
Also cats get handed into rescues for loads of reasons -
*unneutered males - who start spraying, easier to hand over to rescue than to neuter.
*unneutered females who get pregnant & people not only don't want kittens, but then decide they don't want mom cat.
*cats who appear healthy & loving & in lovely condition are often dumped in boxes.(I know that's a hard one to believe, but it happrens. Lucky was an example of this)
*marriage break-up is a common reason for rehoming cats
*house move & can't take the cat
*found cats handed in, who have been hanging around someones house for weeks / months
*someones died & their cats needs rehoming
*new cat doesn't get on with other pets
*the new puppy is more enjoyable - so lets get rid of the cat............................................... ..................................the list goes on & on & on.....................................

edit to add - a real classic is when people move into a new house they often inherit the old peoples cat too. Again, it's unbelievable but is very very true.

Rosie
27-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Blimey never thought of all those - so basically strays are just a very small proportion.

smudgley
27-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Blimey never thought of all those - so basically strays are just a very small proportion.

:cat1 .

Kim
27-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Smudley, agree totally. At the Animal Sanctuary where I help we get a variety of reason for cats needing to be re-homed. Quite often the owner has died or gone into residential care and the family can't/wont take on the cat. Family member has become allergic to cat hair, moving and can't take cat, family situation has changed, e.g. divorce or finanacial reasons. We have loads of kittens brought in because owners have not got cat spayed and don't know what to do with the kittens! :? :mad: We have a cattery full of old feral cats that ae not for re-homing found in various places/situations. These cats are quite a drain of the sanctuarys rescources.

smudgley
27-06-2006, 08:06 PM
:? :mad: We have a cattery full of old feral cats that ae not for re-homing found in various places/situations. These cats are quite a drain of the sanctuarys rescources.

Can the ferals not go back once they've been neutered?

Kim
27-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Not sure where the come from Smudgley, most have been there longer than i have been going there, which is 7 years. They are quite elderly now and sadly the sanctuary cannot afford to routinely neuter cats. :( There are many things that I am not happy about there, but I go because at least I know the catteries have been given a thorough clean and they have all had a good meal, not saying they don't get fed, but they only get fed once a day and some of the students have no idea how much to feed. :(

Booktigger
29-06-2006, 09:55 AM
HAve to say too many. All 5 of the cats in my house are rescues, reasons are things like owners breaking up and leaving cat on streets to fend for himself, moving into sheltered accomodation, taking relatively healthy cat to be pts (never did find out the reason why, suspect his cystitis played a part though), owner died, and dumping mum and kittens on rescue's doorstep.
Kim, not meaning to be harsh, but maybe the local sanctuary shouldn't take as many cats on if they can't afford to routinely spay cats - the health risks are immense, and cats can't always cope with just one meal a day. My local CP had ferals that should have been TNR'd, and they are now kept in a large outdoor pen and will do till the end of their life, which I think is a bit unfair.

smudgley
29-06-2006, 09:57 AM
HAve to say too many. All 5 of the cats in my house are rescues, reasons are things like owners breaking up and leaving cat on streets to fend for himself, moving into sheltered accomodation, taking relatively healthy cat to be pts (never did find out the reason why, suspect his cystitis played a part though), owner died, and dumping mum and kittens on rescue's doorstep.
Kim, not meaning to be harsh, but maybe the local sanctuary shouldn't take as many cats on if they can't afford to routinely spay cats - the health risks are immense, and cats can't always cope with just one meal a day. My local CP had ferals that should have been TNR'd, and they are now kept in a large outdoor pen and will do till the end of their life, which I think is a bit unfair.

Why were they not TNR?

Snoof
29-06-2006, 11:02 AM
You also want to bear in mind that in rescues, cats get the care they may not have received in their previous home. And while some strays are skittish, not all of them are. Sweep is amazingly gutsy people-wise, and he's been a stray for a good while.

SillyTilly
29-06-2006, 11:08 AM
What's TNR?

Olivia

yola
29-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Trap Neuter Replace.

Basically, neutering a feral and then putting it back into it's own environment. Fairer on them usually.

SillyTilly
29-06-2006, 11:16 AM
thanks
:)

Olivia

smudgley
29-06-2006, 01:04 PM
What's TNR?

Olivia

Trap, neuter, release. Basically catch the cat, get him / her neutered & put back where they came from.

Booktigger
29-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Smudgely - no idea why, they had been there a few years when I first saw them (and that is nearly 4 years ago).
Snoof - that is a very good point, and one I say to myself at times, esp during times of illness that if they were with their previous owner, they might not have the same kind of care.