PDA

View Full Version : Scent Marking

Rosie
26-06-2006, 01:12 PM
With my new kitten coming in about two weeks (will be 9 weeks old) I want to have him neutered as quickly as possible to stop him scent marking. First question how old must he be to be neutered and secondly will it actually stop him?

dinahsmum
26-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I've had 3 males in the past (all together for some years, although they arrived at diffrent times & were different ages). None of them ever marked in the house. They were neutered at whatever the standard age was at that time - prob still six months. I think the 'problem' of males spraying is exaggerated and really only applies to entire toms (and some of them never do it either)

PS - another CP kitten! What a lot at present!

Mags
26-06-2006, 01:49 PM
My previous cat was a tom who was neutered at 6 months.........he never sprayed in the house before or after neutering.

However, when he was outdoors he was forever spraying every post or bush, marking his territory:D

Hreow
26-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Somewhere between nine and twelve months depending on the breed and the individual. If you get him neutered at six months, you'll be fine.
BTW, this will stop the usual male spraying, but be aware that an upset cat who feels unsafe in his/her core territory will spray. Neutered or not. Male or female. Should you worry about this? No. Not that likely to happen. :-) And if it does - get help, sort the problem and you have a happy, non-spraying cat again.

Rosie
26-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you so much for your replies I feel much less concerned now.