PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a kitten to an older outside cat

Naomi
26-06-2006, 08:28 AM
How do you go about introducing a kitten to a 12month old, 99.9% outdoor cat?

dinahsmum
26-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Interesting question Nae. Anything you want to tell us? :)

I think the answer to your question is 'just do it'. It's a very rare cat that will hurt a kitten and although 'noses may be put out of joint' for a short time, as long as the original cat still gets its usual attention and love, all should be well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

Sweet
26-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I am doing the same thing here.......Just had an email to say Vincent will be hopefully ready to come home this weekend, I already have Violet and Mau Mau - hopefully they will all bond with love - go for it! x

Kazz
26-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I've never done it but I would say go with the above advice......slowlo slowly works with most you want to introduce to cats ;) and yes is there something you want to tell us?

CathyW
26-06-2006, 12:06 PM
work slowly, and have one room where the kitten can feel safe away from the other cat,and introduce them slowly, and expect loads of hissing n spitting from both of them. good luck.

Naomi
26-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Nothing to report at the moment girsl, well not for certain anyway

Thanks for the advice. We've still go the fire guards that came with Moli and Sox that were used as a kitten run so will prob put that back up to put the little un in IF we get another kitten.

Hreow
26-06-2006, 12:42 PM
That sounds like a good plan.

Rosie
26-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I am getting my long awaited grey kitten which has now turned black:shock: I have always wanted a grey kitten and so when a friend of a friend's rescue cat had kittens and there was a grey one amongst them I said yes immediately. However the kitten is now seven weeks old and is completely black. I could not though let them down and change my mind so little Huey is going to join the household in two weeks time and will have to contend with a dog and an older female cat. I have agreed with the owners that should world war three break out Huey may have to be returned. I am also looking for reassurance that everything will be fine. Rosie lived with other cat/cats (used to foster occasionally) but that was many years ago. Rosie is 9. Look forward to hearing some more comments.

sweetmimi
26-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I am getting my long awaited grey kitten which has now turned black:shock: I have always wanted a grey kitten and so when a friend of a friend's rescue cat had kittens and there was a grey one amongst them I said yes immediately. However the kitten is now seven weeks old and is completely black. I could not though let them down and change my mind so little Huey is going to join the household in two weeks time and will have to contend with a dog and an older female cat. I have agreed with the owners that should world war three break out Huey may have to be returned. I am also looking for reassurance that everything will be fine. Rosie lived with other cat/cats (used to foster occasionally) but that was many years ago. Rosie is 9. Look forward to hearing some more comments.

wow thats the first time I have heard anyone say the kitty changed colour I thought it was just mine that was odd He was born a lovely silver grey colour and then at 3 months old he had gone jet black with 2 little white bits on his tunny.

Hreow
26-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Generally it's the owner that gets grey hairs, not the cat going dark? :-D Although... Siamese....

Rosie
27-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Sweet - if you get your kitten this week promise me to post and let us know how it goes as I am getting little Huey the following weekend and will then know the pitfalls :-D - Thanks

dinahsmum
27-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Our second cat ever was 'sold' to me by a work colleague as being 'clerical grey' (he was a lawyer, why should I doubt him? :roll: ). When he arrived he was very dark grey - he ended as black as a raven - and very beautiful. Think maybe it happens more than we realise?

Naomi
27-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Guy's stop it!!!!!

You're making me go off this silver tabby now :D

dinahsmum
27-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't think tabbys change!

Naomi
27-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Thank goodness for that :lol:

Booktigger
27-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Cats can get fever coat where their fur darkens due to illness, so you might want to see this kitten and check it out first.

Rosie
27-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Seen little Huey on Saturday and he seemed very healthy and playful but he will be going straight to the vet when I get him for his injections etc.