PDA

View Full Version : Tigger went in his litter tray this morning and...

janey83
22-06-2006, 11:22 AM
My mum said, that most of his number 2 was fine then there was a bit of a runny part with a bit of blood in it!!!

Does anyone know what this means?

He hasn't ate his wet food at all this morning. But he has just had some biscuits.

yola
22-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Hmmm. Any kind of anal bleeding is not good news. I'd have a chat with your vet Jane. It could be a bit of irritation but alternatively it might be something that needs addressing more immediately and medically.

Hugs to Tigger!!!

Fran
22-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I'd definitely speak to the vet Jane. Is he wormed regularly?

janey83
22-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd definitely speak to the vet Jane. Is he wormed regularly?

No he has never been wormed! Until a few weeks ago, when we put a worming thing on the back of his neck.

Fran
22-06-2006, 03:06 PM
No he has never been wormed! Until a few weeks ago, when we put a worming thing on the back of his neck.

I'd certainly be inclined to get him checked over Jane. A heavy worm burden could cause bloody loose motions but so could a lot of other things.

Donna
22-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I have no idea but suggest the vets too to be on the safe side x

Sweet
23-06-2006, 10:13 AM
How is he today? x

janey83
23-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanx everyone.
Not took him to the vets, cant afford the money.
He has been sick a few times this morning, but seems fine now.
He's moaning for a brush!!:roll:

Fran
23-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanx everyone.

Jane, would you be eligible for the free treatment at the PDSA? Just a thought as it sounds like he really could do with seeing a vet. I remember you posting two or three weeks ago that he wasn't very well also. Think he really could do with a check over :?

yola
23-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanx everyone.
He's moaning for a brush!!:roll:

Most vets will be helpful with payment plans etc, and if your cat is really unwell you owe it to him - as a responsible owner, to ensure that any ill health is dealt with so he's not in suffering pain or discomfort.

Kim
23-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Most vets will be helpful with payment plans etc, and if your cat is really unwell you owe it to him - as a responsible owner, to ensure that any ill health is dealt with so he's not in suffering pain or discomfort.

I agree, we don't have much money either, but it is unfair to let our pets suffer because we can't afford the treatment. :?

carternm31
23-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi janey83, I dont know if this helps but my puppy recently had blood in her stool. I took her to the vets immediatly and she had 'garbage disease' Basically she had eaten something rotten and was bleeding internally. (although she didn't show any signs of being ill in herself)

Cats can get this also, and if you puss has got this and goes into shock it then becomes fatal. So even though money is tight, I seriously urge you to get her checked out, is £30 not worth your cats life???

Donna
23-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I hope you get to see a vet soon. Poor Tigger x

dinahsmum
25-06-2006, 03:20 PM
How is Tigger now?

sweetmimi
25-06-2006, 05:43 PM
You say you put a worming treatment on his neck are you sure this was not for flea treatment? He needs to see a vet asap in my opinion and you can ask your vet if they will let you pay a little each week towards the cost, no decent vet will deny you this option, and the other thing is that if you leave this the condition could get a lot worse and then it would cost more in the long run. Poor little lad needs some treatment now not later.

Hreow
25-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Sweetmimi: There are worm-treatments now that you put on their necks, just like Frontline etc..

janey83
26-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi,
Sorry i haven't replied in a while. been a bit busy.

My mum said if anything else happens she will take him to the vets.
He's eating and everything.
I do think its the start of kidney disease, which you cant do anything about.:(

yola
26-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes you CAN do something about kidney disease/failure!!!

You can treat it with medication and providing it's caught early enough your cat can continue to live a normal and healthy life for many years - there are those here that will testify to this.

May I suggest taking Tigger to a vet to confirm your diagnosis . . a simple blood test will do the trick and then you can plan for his future accordingly.

janey83
26-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes you CAN do something about kidney disease/failure!!!

You can treat it with medication and providing it's caught early enough your cat can continue to live a normal and healthy life for many years - there are those here that will testify to this.

May I suggest taking Tigger to a vet to confirm your diagnosis . . a simple blood test will do the trick and then you can plan for his future accordingly.

They cant get a blood test from Tigger, he wouldnt let them. They had him wrapped up in a towel and tryed to get blood but he wasnt having any of it. his arms were flying everywhere! (Tiggers that is!)
So the other option was to knock him half out. But we didnt want that coz he might not of come round again. (at the age he is!)

Will talk to my mum about it.

Mags
04-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Jane, how is Tigger now? :?

janey83
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
He's fine now Mags.
We havnt took him the vets still. But if anything else happens then my dad said we can take him to the vets to get checked over.

Mags
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Glad he's ok now Jane.....;)

Hreow
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Yay! your dad! Good to know. Glad Tigger's better again.

Kay
04-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Angel my four year old has always intermittently had blood in her poos for all her adult life. She has all the tests the vet could think of and there is nothing wrong with her, except for PKD which is prevelant in Persians and the blood is not connected to that. As long as he is ok in himself everything should be ok but I would get him checked just to be sure especially with his age. If your mum/dad receive housing benefit and income support then the PDSA will treat him and all they ask for is an anonimous donation.

Jac
04-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Just to say the PDSA in Scotland will treat an animal if you get Council tax benefit.
Just thought I would pop that in or if you are a pensioner. That being the case I would get your granny to take him, better safe than sorry.

CJK
04-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Personally had this been my cat he/she would have gone RIGHT to the vets immeditaly, or asap. Not " if anything else happens"

As already said any responsible cat owner should take measures to ensure their pet gets the care they need.

Even when i was out of work my pets still got all and any treatment they needed.
As said PDSA can help, or there may be an RSPCA hospital near you, but my vets are more than happy to let me pay in installemnts if i ever dont have enough with me.

Seems irrisponsible to have NOT taken him. Ok it could be nothing, but the poor cat could drop down VERY poorly any minute.

How do you know it's kidney disease? It could be anything.

If you cant afford the treamtent or arent prepeared to pay it you shouldnt have a cat in my opinion

sorry to be short, but thats what i think

janey83
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
If you cant afford the treamtent or arent prepeared to pay it you shouldnt have a cat in my opinion

sorry to be short, but thats what i think

Well that's your opinion. Id do anything for my cat, i love him more than anything.

We can afford to take him the vets, (well I cant, but parents can. So they get the say!) But its still really dear!

He's totally fine in him self, eating, drinking, playing.

I'm hurt that you even said I shouldn't have a cat. I would die just for him, I love him that much.

You don't know my cat so you shouldn't say things like that.:(

But he isn't ill. This thread was only asking what it means to have blood in poo!... Id thought someone would know.

Yeah he did have a tiny bit... I didn't even see it, it was my mum that said she saw it. But she cant see very well anyway.lol.

Kim
04-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Janey

If your cat is eating/drinking/playing and fine in herself then I would say there can't be too much wrong. One of my cats has had small traces of blood in her poo occasionally, if she was obviously ill then she would be to the vets like a shot, but I know my cats and make decisions in their best interests. It might be worth mentioning the blood next time you are at the vets or even phoning them? Perhaps even ring one of the vet help lines (be careful they are not cheap). Obviously, if you are concerned then I am sure you wil do the right thing by her, you sound as if you really love her.

EmmaG
04-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Jane, my cat Arthur has had blood in his stools twice now, the first time I was so frightened that I rushed him to the vets, the vet told me that it was quite common although something that should be checked, he stayed in overnight and they checked he hadn't been poisoned or anything horrible like that. The vet reckons that he ate a mouse that was either already dead or wasn't very healthy itself and it upset his tummy, his stools where bright red (looked a bit like jelly) and the smell was awful!!!

It has happened since and I did not take him to the vets but we kept an eye on him and he recovered after being kept indoors and having a few meals.

I agree it is a worry but if caused by them eating something that doesn't agree with them, I believe from what my vet said it happens more than most people realise (with cats going to the toilet outside)

One thing my vet did say was if there was any blood and/or his stools were black (a sign of internal bleeding further up the body) and also if he was being sick, you need to get him to a vet immediately.

EmmaG
04-07-2006, 11:04 PM
For Jane and anybody else who has experienced blood in their cats stool, might find this interesting to read

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cbloodystools.html

I would still suggest if you are worried that you seek veterinary advice

Kim
04-07-2006, 11:14 PM
That's an interesting link Emma. I did mean to add about being more cautious if the blood was dark red. Bright red (fresh blood) I think is less of a worry. I had mentioned to our vet about blood in Sasha's stool at our next visit and he did not seem overly concerned as otherwise she is perfectly healthy (if a little overweight :oops: ) and it was not prolonged.

EmmaG
04-07-2006, 11:19 PM
It is a very informative site Kim, another reason why a cat can have blood in it's stools is stress, a Bengal cat once came into our home and couldn't get out and was trapped in the house for what could have been the whole day, when we came home we opened the front door and it rushed out, and Arthur has blood in his stool that time, he hated that cat and once got into a really bad fight with it, and my OH had to separate them, I have never seen cats fight like that before !

Kim
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
That must have been scary Emma. Poor Arthur! It amazes me what physical symptoms stress can cause. It has a lot to answer for, obviously in cats as well as humans!!

EmmaG
04-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I did wonder who it was that rushed for the door when I first opened it. Although it obviously stressed Arthur out, I think he can look after himself, we were more worried about Bronwyn as we had only just got her and couldn't find her when we came in, she was hiding lol I am sure Arthur acted as her knight in shining armour though :)

CJK
05-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Well that's your opinion. Id do anything for my cat, i love him more than anything.

We can afford to take him the vets, (well I cant, but parents can. So they get the say!) But its still really dear!

He's totally fine in him self, eating, drinking, playing.

I'm hurt that you even said I shouldn't have a cat. I would die just for him, I love him that much.

You don't know my cat so you shouldn't say things like that.:(

But he isn't ill. This thread was only asking what it means to have blood in poo!... Id thought someone would know.

Yeah he did have a tiny bit... I didn't even see it, it was my mum that said she saw it. But she cant see very well anyway.lol.

you asked for opinins and several people said take him to the vets.
You stated it was too expensive.

you might love your cat, and I wasnt doubting you did, but if you arent prepared to get him vet treatment cos of the cost are you prepared to let him suffer instead?

You should take into account the vets bills before you even get a cat. If you can't afford the bills associated with owning a pet then dont get a pet.

ok it might be nothing this time, but your cat deserves tretment or checking when it could be something.

Rosie
05-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I am afraid I agree if you can't afford vet bills then people shouldn't have pets. I am sure a lot of rescues have seen the results of pets that haven't had treatment for a variety of things even though they may have been "loved".

janey83
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
We can afford the bills!

I'm leaving this thread alone from now on.
Thanx for suggestions though.