PDA

View Full Version : Flea treatment for kittens

CJK
22-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Can anybody elnlighten me on something please?

When we took princess to the vets monday I asked what do I use to treat Alisha for flea's, as she isnt old enough for frontline.

The vet said not to bother there is no need to treat a kitten.

BUT anyone who sells a kitten (reputably) de-flea's them.
SO I am a little confused.

All the older cats were done monday or tuesday. I was sure I needed to do Alisha too.

dinahsmum
22-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't know the answer to your question/your vet etc.
I Frontlined mine as soon as I got them (althpough I think they were fine) but when they had their kitten check/first vac the vet gave each a 'spot' treatment which covers (I think) fleas, ticks, worms and ear mites :shock: . Not a bad range! Amazing that something that potent doesn't harm the babies - I suppose it's the 2 species - mammals and insects?
Sorry - didn't answer you at all, did I?

Fran
22-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't agree with your vet Carly. Kittens can be treated with Frontline spray from 2 days of age. They have to be a certain age for the spot on treatments, however and I am not quite sure how old they have to be for those. You can definitely treat her with Frontline spray and the easiest way to do it I find is to put on some surgical gloves and spray it into your hands then just rub the kittens all over. It's less stressful for them than actually spraying them :shock:

Moli
22-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I use the spot on treatment, and its for kittens 12 weeks and over,..

CJK
22-06-2006, 10:00 AM
thanks everyone.
Alisha is 7 weeks, so not old enough for spot on.

I did think the vet couldnt be right, unless they said not to bother cos all the other cats are done? anyway, I figured If i dont do one cat I may as not have done them all.

I'll get some spray then, thanks Fran.

smudgley
22-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Frontline spray can be used from 48 hours old.

yola
22-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Just a word of warning . . . when Balie was a kitten I had a friend look after him for a weekend. She had a real menagerie (birds, cats, rabbits etc), and she sprayed Balie with some kind of flea treatment stuff and he ended up with organophosphate (I think that's the stuff) poisoning :shock: made him quite unwell for a few days :(

I'm sure you'll use the right stuff on Alisha, but I just thought I'd mention it!

CJK
22-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the warning yola!!!
I've rung my vets to discuss this with them, saying In as nice a way as possible, that whilst I am not questioning thier training etc, I do feel I would rather have Alisha treated as well as my other cats. Why should she be susceptible (SP) to flea's?
Theyre ordering me some spray in, theyve got no stocks left.

Thanks for the advice everyone.