PDA

View Full Version : Fighting or playing?

moggymommy
21-06-2006, 05:38 PM
How do you tell the difference?

Angel and Ziggy have started chasing each other about, usually in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep :roll:
They sniff each other and sit quite close, Angel is allowed to touch Ziggy but if Ziggys tries to touch Angel she goes mad.

There's no hissing or growling going on anymore, I think thats a good sign?

:D

Hreow
21-06-2006, 05:49 PM
What's your gut feeling?

moggymommy
21-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I dont have one :lol:

I'm not sure, it could be the beginnings of a loving relationship, but it could also be they are testing each other before unsheathing their weapons!

borderdawn
21-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Playing! All mine do it, sort of test swipes, sometimes ears back then BANG off they go. Cats have "self preservation" at the top of their lists, no bites or wounds, most probably play.
Dawn.

Hreow
21-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I'd save my worries until you are sure they are daggers-drawn, then. :-)

Donna
21-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I had this exact same worry, and posted here a few times on this issue - search for the thread.

I decided after lots of advice that this was play, and now dont worry about it. Everything seems fine and no blood lost after 18 months so safe to say - playing!!

EmmaG
21-06-2006, 06:48 PM
More than likely playing, dont forget with teeth and claws they could do some very nasty damage to each other. If they make little or no noise and do not draw blood I would presume that they are playing.

yola
21-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Cats fighting is not a pretty sight. They will posture and lot as it's all part of establishing a heirarchy. You will know if it's for real, but what you describe is just messing around.

CathyW
21-06-2006, 10:08 PM
my 2 do it most evenings, make a lot of raket as well charging back n forth, god knows what my neighbours think downstairs LOL

CJK
22-06-2006, 07:23 AM
alisha and mr darcy statred doing this, and i was watching very carefully to make sure it wasnt fighting. fisrt fwe times Alisha hissed at darcy, prob thinking he was a lot bigger and being unfriendly. But now she batts him a good un, no noisees and he is very gentle with her, so i let them play.

Fran
22-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Mine do it here and they are playing. You can certainly tell if it is proper fighting and it is not pleasant to watch

Snoof
22-06-2006, 11:03 AM
If it's hard to tell which, I'm going to guess it's playing - like Fran said, once you see proper fighting you realise quite soon what it is.

Ninja and The Cat Formerly Known As Tiddles chase each other all over the house - they completely ruined the casing of a cat5 cable in the lounge :shock: but they adore each other.

moggymommy
22-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'm glad to hear it sounds like normal playing, I really want them to be close friends, especially considering how long they're going to have to live with each other!!

Jac
22-06-2006, 09:25 PM
There playing..................Just dont want you to get any sleep:lol: