PDA

View Full Version : So farewell Top of the Pops

dinahsmum
21-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Hard to believe it's going, tho I must say i haven't watched for donkeys years. Still catch TOTP2 sometimes and enjoy the things from 'my' era.

Any thoughts? Is it time for it to shuffle off?

http://web.tiscali.it/empress.cindy/!cid_D7B23CD1-349E-4E92-A16E-54021266465B.gif

CJK
21-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I havent watched it since i was a teenager, not fully. Seen it on when channel flicking and hate it recently.
Must be a reason it's going, not enough viewers maybe/ i dunno. I dont know many people that watch it nowadays.

Mags
21-06-2006, 09:11 AM
I watched it in my teens but have never bothered since.......it has changed so much in that time.....

Moli
21-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I haven't watched it for a long time, Couldn't tell you the names of the groups in the charts....I suppose video's have taken over now..

yola
21-06-2006, 09:33 AM
With 24 hour music channels (I think I have 4 or 5 on freeview alone), the day of the TV pop 'show' is truly over. Also, the explosion of popularity of music downloads and MP3 players means that music has a different channel to its audience now.

The format is tired and out of date and to be honest I don't think anyone is really surprised at TOTPs demise, or indeed will miss it very much!!

Fran
21-06-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with Yola, pop channels available 24 hours a day so real need for 'Top of the Pops' anymore. Think it's a shame though as it has been around so many years. Used to love it in my teens...Bay City Rollers...oooh showing my age now :shock:

Donna
21-06-2006, 04:13 PM
24/7 MTV and the like have caused its demise. I not watched it for years either. Any music on TV is from the music channels in this house!!!

Kim
21-06-2006, 07:03 PM
The end of an era, but I'm not surprised to learn of its demise either. I used to watch it in the seventies, in fact my sister used to work for the BBC and we often got into the studios to watch the show being recorded. We were on TV a few times too! However those were the days that the likes of Leo Sayer, Rod Stewart, Bernie Flint Carl Douglas (Kung Fu fighting) were on. I havent's watched the show in years.