PDA

View Full Version : Confused by collars

SillyTilly
19-06-2006, 05:42 PM
This cat owning malarky is VERY confusing!!!!

Went into the pet shop to get food and went to look at collars. There are SO many!!!

My main concern is whether I should get a safty clasp (that comes undone when caught) or one with an elastic insert. Is the elastic safe enough if they get it caught?

Also - materials - there were lots, fabric, velvet, plasticky stuff - all sorts. Do you guys have preferences?

Next query was tags or capsules - which is best? What information do you supply on the collar? They are already microchipped, so should I just say that they're microchipped, or give all my details too?

FINALLY - do they need collars at all? They will be house cats, so it's only for if they do escape somehow.

Help!

Olivia

Hreow
19-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Get them used to collars at least. Easier when they're young. If they're not too bothered, I'd let them wear collars, just in case they do escape.

Safety-catch is the best, I think. The elastic may just help them get a leg trapped if they try to shrug the collar off. The KittyCat Boutique http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/ sponsors our photo-of-the-month competition and sells some really good collars.

Just put your phone-number on the tag - that's all the kind finder needs, is it not? If you have space, then adding that they're chipped is probably helpful.

CJK
19-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I have to say, after purchasing two collars from the kittycatboutique, theyre FAB and well worth the few quids they cost.

BUt it's up to you of course.

i prefer barrels to tags, cos I change my phone number a few times lol, no just cos it's easier to change the details, and my boys have bells on thier colalrs, and dont like the extra jangling a tag makes on top of the bell

Mags
19-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I find the safety catch collar best as I have had a cat trap his leg in an elastic one...:(

Naomi
19-06-2006, 06:54 PM
My cat had a safety clasp one, lost about 2 collars in as many months at least we knew the catches worked lol

She's an outdoor cat so we don't bother with collars now, she's microchipped and everyone in our street knows who she belongs to

CJK
19-06-2006, 07:06 PM
twix has had 6 colalrs now, keeps loosing them, so if he looses this one he not getting anymore. All my lot, apart from alisha, are chipped. Alisha will get done soon though, even though some of mine are indoor cats.

Collars can make your cat look gorgeous though!

SillyTilly
19-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys.

I think what I'm going to do is get them collars so they can get used to wearimg them. If they don't mind them then they can just keep them on, if it's a huge nightmare then I won't bother.

The ones on the Kitty Cat Boutique are soooooooo gorgeous - I'm very very tempted!!!

Olivia

Kim
19-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Collars are a good idea, just in case.... However, I think the safety clasp collars are good, better to be safe than sorry. I have my surname, cats name & phone mumber engraved on one side of a disc and then 'microchipped & neutered' on the other side. The link Dawn gave to a web site for collars and discs is great. Sasha is now the proud owner of a pink mouse collar and Misty has the fishy blue collar! I ordered a disc for Misty and it was very clearly engraved. Costs are reasonable, no p & p and service excellent! Thanks Dawn. Here is the linky: http://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/

Kim
19-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh, I've just had a look at the kitty boutique - what lovely collars they have too! Must order the little red hearts one for Rosie - will look lovely with her black fur!

I think that the fabric collars are better than plastic ones. I would imagine the plastic ones to be less flexible, sweaty & maybe uncomfortable.

SillyTilly
19-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Well I've given in to temptation and just ordered a mosaic and a licorace collar for Bright-water and Lightening. I hope they like them :D

Olivia

CJK
20-06-2006, 06:50 AM
oh I LOVE the liqourice collar!!!!
I Ordered the pink stripe for Alisha and the green and blue argyle fr Oatmeal.
Twix doesnt get a posh un cos he looses them all, princess doesnt get cos she has a sparkly diamante look one, and Mr Darcy doesnt get one cos he has eczema and it aggrivates him!

Therye great collars though, I love the elctric red or electric blue striped ones too

Booktigger
20-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Mine wear collars, including the long term fosters. Did you not get a little tag from your vets saying 'Microchipped, please scan me? - I did for PEbbles, so she wears that as well as a barrel. Only Ginger has a proper name tag, as he is the only one who goes into peoples houses - the others wouldn't let a stranger near them (in fact, Molly doesn't let me near her unless she wants to!!)

CJK
20-06-2006, 07:26 AM
None of mine got a litte tag like that when they were chipped. Is it a thing your vets does or should they all give them?

IS it worth getting them a tag that says theyre chipped? ( hope you dont me asking you so much). I assumed of they were found by anybody like a rescue, rspca, taken to vets etc theyd scan them anyway. In the barrels mine have I wrote my cats name and my phone number. But maybe I should change to a tag, easier for people to read them, and add that they are chipped.

Also Kim said she has that they are nuetured on her tags, is that worth doing as well? I gues with boys it's fairly obvious, but with girl cats you cant really tell very easily

SillyTilly
20-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I ordered two disks as well, and I've stollen Kim's idea. On one side it says their name and my telephone number, and on the other it has "I am microchipped and neutered". I know they won't be neutered for a few months yet, but it'll save me having new ones done then.

Re. the tag from the vet about microchipping - the RSPCA are organising this, so I'm not sure if they will have them or not.

It's soooo much fun buying things for them! I'm going to have to stop now or I'll be broke!

Olivia

Booktigger
20-06-2006, 09:04 AM
CJ - I just assumed it was done at all practices, but could just be mine. And not all vets or shelters will check for a chip sadly - will post a petition later which is trying to get this to become a routine practice. I know when I have taken strays, I have asked for it to be done, so not sure if they would have done otherwise.

CJK
20-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, I would have thought that all shelters and vets WOULD have checked for a chip.
It's a simple quick easy thing to do that could save a cat being sent to a rescue.

I think I'll get some new discs done then for my lot!

thanks booktigger, oh and I'll sign the petition!

smudgley
20-06-2006, 09:41 AM
When you order a box of microchips - they come with a set of tags for owners.
Different companies have different tags. But all with simialar message.
You should have received one when your pets were chipped.

edit to add - when I put when you order - I meant the person / company who will be doing the microchipping

Sweet
20-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I didnt get ones for Violet or Mau Mau x

Hreow
20-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Shelters and vets probably would, but a neighbour three streets over might not. Or if there has been an accident, I'd rather get a call straight away to let me know, rather than perhaps later (if at all).