PDA

View Full Version : Neutering too early......is it a good idea?

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 12:08 AM
My vet has always maintained that neutering a cat before 6 months can cause the Urethra to be too narrow because they are not fully developed. I never get any of mine done before this because I trust my vet and to me, this would make sense. Some people dispute this being the case and I wonder now with a lot of tom cats suffering blockages whether they have in fact been neutered too early :?

I should add, this isn't a debate on neutering but whether it can cause problems if done to young.....everyone knows my views on neutering, or at least they should do ;)

dandysmom
19-06-2006, 02:23 AM
My only experience with this was years ago when all the vets reccommended neutering males at 6 months: all four of the boys I've had (moggy, Siamese, Aby, Singapura) never had any blockge problems at all. I understand that it's being done very early now; if I get another boy I'd personally rather wait till they were older. Hope someone with more knowledge will respond...

Booktigger
19-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I have read a lot of reports stating that it doesn't affect the males uretha, and last time I was at one of the local rescues, I had a chat with the woman who runs it and foudn tehy spay and neuter all kittens and puppies at 8 weeks old. They have been doign this for over 14 years and have had no health probs - and they kept one of the first males to be neutered, and he never had any issues. I wonder if dry food has more to do with males blocking than early neutering, as I dont think it is that widely practiced in teh UK - the local rescue have 3 vets, as the one closest to them doesn't do early spay, so they go to a different one for that (third is for horses). Cats can be genetically disposed towards cystitis/crystals though, so in those kind of cats, I don't think it would matter what you did.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 08:59 AM
You'll have to root some of the reports out Des. I think common sense would tell you though that it has to affect the development because of the reduction in hormones. It's not something I would want to risk with any of mine but I'm more concerned about their bodies not being mature enough, to me it's like having a pre teen child done but then in this day and age, that might not be such a bad idea ;)

Does the rescue keep in touch with people they've rehomed to Des? Some cats as you've said are going to more prone to it than others but is the percentage higher on the one's done younger.

Booktigger
19-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I think I have tried posting them before but they are too long - and to do a link would be linking to another forum which isnt allowed. I think on the mature enough angle, it is more important to get females done early - as they can come into heat really young, and also they are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat. I would rather spay a female early than risk them getting pregnant too young.

I dont know if they keep in touch with owners, as there are two branches of the rescue - it is the one I gave you details for for the ferals, if you kept the address you could e-mail her and ask. They might also do early spay on all the ferals they release on their farm, but I don't know 100% about that. One of their main reasons is cos of reproduction - they have had less cats/dogs returned since doing it (Esp as a few of theirs were returned complete with litters) - they did go to a seminar about it before doing it though.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 09:30 AM
You can send me the links via email if you want and I'll have a read.

LMC
19-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with Dawn - I worry that neutering a kitten too young will screw up their hormones/adult development.

Having kittens definitely makes a cat 'grow up' more IMO - the two of mine (I have four) that have been mothers are generally calmer (and lazier and fatter!). I'm not saying that a cat "should" have kittens to be fulfilled - just commenting that I reckon that the hormonal changes have an effect on their character. I would be concerned that neutering before puberty could have an adverse effect on a cat's physical health as well as preventing it from 'growing up' psychologically. It would be interesting to get hold of a study on health problems in later life related to age of neutering - perhaps a PhD project for someone? You'd need a fairly large sample for valid evidence, but I sometimes wonder whether 12-year old Snowy's occasional cystitis and generally "kittenish" (still) behaviour is related to her having been spayed at only 4-5 months of age...

Elaine
19-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Any of mine have always been done at the 6 month mark. I too would be concerned about having them done earlier than this, not just from the the physical maturity point but also I would be afraid to have them put under anesthetic at such an early age. We know its a risky business at any age but surely it would be more risky to have them put through this so young.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 02:32 PM
This is something else I would worry about Elaine. My shepherd was spayed at 5 months before I got her and I've had all sorts of behavioural issues with her plus numourous problems down below. I'm not saying this is down to spaying her too young but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was......I do feel that although spaying and neutering is a must, it does have a negative side to it if done too young.

I would still be interested in reading the links Des if you don't mind sending them to me......the only time I would agree to earlier spaying and neutering is with the feral cats but even then, I would leave them as near to 6 months as possible unless any were showing an interests in the opposite sex :oops: Other than that, I would rather stick to my vets advice and wait until they are older.

LMC
19-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Just as an aside - women who have hysterectomies early are more prone to brittle bones in later life...

Quite apart from the risks of the anaesthetic, removing sexual organs early HAS to have an impact on development because neutering alters the cat's hormones (just witness the changed behaviour of a tom cat neutered at any age!)

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I have to agree LMC, I think it just seems easier for some rescues and owners to get them in and get them done, and not worry about the long term health side of things.

The conditions for rehoming for any cats I rehome are, that they are spayed and neutered at 6 months, and I check to make sure this is done. I can't believe Des that the rescue you deal with has had animals returned with litters :shock: If they make it an agreement, that they remain indoors etc until they are done and by using some common sense, this shouldn't have happened :?

Elaine
19-06-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.messybeast.com/earlyneuter.htm

Found this article DD,not sure i am convinced though.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks Elaine ;) I'll have to check it out later, having problems getting on the link but I think that's down to my internet :roll:

dinahsmum
19-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Here is a link from The Cat Group which is a consortium of various cat charities. http://www.thecatgroup.org.uk/
I don't have strong views on this subject and don't wish to join in any pro/con debate but thought it worthwhile showing that respected organisations are happy with younger neutering.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that......I'll have a look later :)

Elaine
19-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Found this following paragraph, it is talking about dogs but I assume it would be the same for cats. Although America has been practising early de-sexing for some time, from what i have read so far, studies are still being carried out.

When should bitches be neutered ?
"Verinary surgeons opinions on neutering tend to be based on anecdotal information and, often, on their own last worst experience"
This question was discussed at the BSAVA Congress, April 2001 The drive for early age neutering came from the animal rescue organisations which wanted dogs and cats to be neutered before rehoming. The stray problem was so great in the USA that in 1993 the American Veterinary Medical Association resolved that it supported the concept of early (8-16 weeks of age) neutering in an effort to stem the overpopulation problems. There were a number of short term studies looking at a total of 1300 dogs which suggested that this was a safe procedure and The University of Florida compared littermates that had been neutered at 7 weeks, 7 months or left entire and found no substantial differences over the first year of life. The arguments against early neutering were that it lead to an increased risk of urinary incontinence, as well as juvenile vaginitis and infantile vulva. In studies, of 100 bitches that were neutered 17 would be expected to be incontinent 10 years on , compared with 2 that were left entire. The same study found an almost 4 fold difference in the risk of incontinence for bitches neutered before the first season compared with afterwards. This was a small sample with no statistical significance but none the less one that concerned Professor Peter Holt. In addition to these concerns Professor Holt said that the argument often used to support early neutering - namely, that it reduced the risk of mamary tumours - was not, in his opinion, completely proven. Statistics handed down in the textbooks of a 0.5% risk of mamary tumours in bitches spayed before the first season, rising to 8% in those spayed after the first season and 26% in those spayed after 2 or more seasons was based on a small study of 60 dogs in Alameda County, USA. Thus in summary, current Animal Health Centre policy of allowing a bitch to have one season and then be spayed would seem to be a good compromise in not increasing the risk of incontinence while perhaps reducing the risks of mammary tumours in later life.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I have read of it causing incontinance problems before and Kara does suffer an awful lot down below :roll: I remember when I had my male dog done, he was 6 months old but he dribbled for England for a good few weeks after and yet he never did it before :? I'm not sure whether the vet made a **** up or the neutering caused him problems :?

I do have my doubts when they say there is a massive reduction in mammary tumours when they are done younger. I deal with mainly ferals, most are older cats that are unspayed and I have yet to come across one with mammary cancer :? I know it happens as the cat Des had came via me but I think again, it's one of those things.........they must have a faulty gene there to start, but we won't know until more research is done. A study of 60 dogs isn't exactly an indepth study :?

LMC
19-06-2006, 05:23 PM
<snip> America has been practising early de-sexing for some time <snip>

Yeah, and many still in America still also advocate declawing (a whole other discussion but the point is that American practice is not necessarily better)

from what i have read so far, studies are still being carried out.Until there are some good study results, I'll continue to have my doubts whether neutering earlier than 6 months/first call/season makes no difference to the animal (cat or dog). Sorry. And agree with Dawn - 60 is not enough for a study. Needs to be at least several thousand to remove the possible errors that different breeds could introduce into the study.

Booktigger
19-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Elaine - the local rescue said that they have found that their animals have bounced back quicker when neutered early, and I have read that on other forums.
Dawn - I will get round to e-mailing some studies - I dont know why that rescue had had cats and dogs returned with litters, they may have agreements to keep them in - but if you read on some forums the amount of Oops litters there are, then they might just be things like that. I know my neighbours dog had issues down below after being neutered, she was done at 5 months too. Mammary cancer doesn't normally show until the age of 10 though, which could explain why some of yours haven't shown signs - I can't remember where I found the article that said they are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat. I read that unspayed females will all get pyo at some point - dont know what happened with Blackie then.

teenytiny
26-11-2006, 03:34 AM
I have always been led to believe that males should be neutered at 6mths and females at 5mths.

My boys were both done at 6mths and ive had no problems with them at all.

My female was spayed at 5mths and she never really grew much after that. I do not know if she was destined to be a small cat anyway, or if it was the neutering that slowed her growth down. Thats something I will never know, but it does make me wonder :? She is 4 now, and still looks about 6mths old size wise, she is a VERY small cat!

borderdawn
26-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi Teenytiny.
I am a little confused (not difficult:) ) In another thread you said you have the father of the Cat that got killed? Then surely he wasnt neutered at 6mths and you had his son?

Just confused as I say, I may of missed something.
Dawn.

PaulaB
26-11-2006, 12:24 PM
My cat Queenie was done at about 9 months after she had her kittens. Her son and daughter that I brought home where both done at 6 months, I was getting a little worried about how interested HE was in his sister but she wasn't having enything to do with him. There are in order Queenie is the original lap cat, in fact don't go to the loo with the door unlocked unless you want to get stuck on it with a cat on your lap, and if you move you get cat claws everywhere. Tippy has just got the idea of cuddles but really likes long chats, and hunts anything nickers slippers books you name it she "hunts" it. Socks is best friend with Lucy my collie, he is also the biggest cat and the biggest mommys boy, trouble is that when he goes to his mom for a cuddle he head buts her first at which point her temper goes faster than the speed of light and he gets thumped.

alexgirl73
26-11-2006, 01:28 PM
This made interesting reading to me, as obviously Teddie and Cooper will need to be done soon. I will have Cooper done first as I don't think with the problems that Teddie has had, that she should be done too soon, as I'm worried about the effects of anasthetic with her. But as she is an indoor cat, delaying it a few months won't harm her any as long as Cooper is done (Broxi is already neutered)

teenytiny
26-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Teenytiny.
I am a little confused (not difficult:) ) In another thread you said you have the father of the Cat that got killed? Then surely he wasnt neutered at 6mths and you had his son?

Just confused as I say, I may of missed something.
Dawn.

I had a female cat who was my cousins, and she came to me un-neutered. I then got a male cat who mated with my female cat ( they were separated but was 100% accidental mating ) but my male kitten was only 4mths old when he mated the female. He was neutered whilst the female was pregnant. We kept one of our females kittens who was my cat that got killed.

Booktigger
27-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Alex, do be careful as males can produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after being done. I would always advise the female to be done first.

borderdawn
27-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I had a female cat who was my cousins, and she came to me un-neutered. I then got a male cat who mated with my female cat ( they were separated but was 100% accidental mating ) but my male kitten was only 4mths old when he mated the female. He was neutered whilst the female was pregnant. We kept one of our females kittens who was my cat that got killed.

Ahh that explains it, very young though 4mths isnt it, randy so and so!:-D

teenytiny
27-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Ahh that explains it, very young though 4mths isnt it, randy so and so!:-D

Yep!!! We had a nightmare with him. He was trying to get out the house at 11wks old and we were sure he was after mating!!! I didnt worry too much when he mated with my female cat as I thought he was too young at 4mths...just goes to show you doesnt it?

charliebubs
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I know this is an old thread - but I have recently been thinking about early neutering in terms of when I get my new little man in a few weeks.

My vets have said that they would do it earlier than 6 months, depending on how well his testicles were formed and dropped (:oops:). I will take him in for a check up and get their opinion once I have him home.

For now, I just wondered if anyone else had any views on early neutering?? Or is there anyone who has tried it with their cats??

The GCCF don't seem to think that there is a problem with doing it, as long as the right anaesthetic is used....

http://www.gccfcats.org/neuter.html

Jac
03-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Charlie, I was worried at the amount of Raggie breeders that have there kittens spayed before going to pet homes. About 12 weeks and go home 13/14. I feel that's way too early. Yes they dont want them to be bred from but proof from a vet that it's been done is surely enough. Do they do the same down beside you? Oh and if you get a show girl the scar is done in a different place:shock: .

My little man will be neutered as soon as it becomes apparent he's developed:lol: . :lol:

charliebubs
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Charlie, I was worried at the amount of Raggie breeders that have there kittens spayed before going to pet homes. About 12 weeks and go home 13/14. I feel that's way too early. Yes they dont want them to be bred from but proof from a vet that it's been done is surely enough. Do they do the same down beside you? Oh and if you get a show girl the scar is done in a different place:shock: .

My little man will be neutered as soon as it becomes apparent he's developed:lol: . :lol:

As far as I know it's not really done down here much at all. I know of a breeder that neuters before homing, but she keeps the kittens longer and has them neutered at about 5 months old.

Yes, any show girls should be spayed mid-line (i.e. underneath, on their tummies) rather than on the side - as the hair can grow back a darker colour :roll:

Fran
03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think I have an opinion one way or another really. My vet in the past has said that with regards to male cats, late neutering can cause them to grow to be bigger cats than if they are neutered earlier. How much scientific evidence,if any, there is to back this up, I have no idea :?

Jac
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Do you not think 3-4 months is a bit young for a wee girl though? I do. Gosh there only babies themselves.

charliebubs
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I think there is definitely a difference with males and females, Jac, yes.

It's more of an intrusive op with a little girl, than with a little boy.

I don't really have an opinion at the moment to be honest - I just wanted to hear what other people thought. ;)

Fran
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Do you not think 3-4 months is a bit young for a wee girl though? I do. Gosh there only babies themselves.

I really don't know how I feel Jac tbh. In the early days, when I first heard about early neutering, I was deadly set against it but I sat and thought about why I was so deadly against it? and I really cannot find any valid reason other than the anaesthetic risks as to why it couldn't / shouldn't be done earlier??

alexgirl73
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I know the CP vet does the girls at 12 weeks and the boys at 14! She is a very sensible young lady and cares passionately about every animal that comes into her care. She is very much an advocate of having them done earlier and I have checked the internet and found this on fabcats!

http://www.fabcats.org/neut.html

Moli
03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
My boys were all done a 4 months, and have had no ill effects....Two of my dogs were done before their 1st season, and they also have been fine...

Elaine
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I never really used to be in favour of this but am fast coming round to the idea on the basis that feral colonies are ever growing, shelters are full to over flowing and there are some people out there who will try to deceive breeders as well as all the free ads cats and kittens.

Elaine
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM
http://cats.about.com/cs/spayneuter/a/earlyneuter.htm

Elaine
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/cats/catcare/rightthing.html

sarahd
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I would just worry again about the effects of the anesthetic and also the fact of the kittens not being developed when they carried out the operation and it not being successful

sarah
x