PDA

View Full Version : Ginger's acting odd!!

Booktigger
18-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I should be happy about it really, but he is 15 this year, and he is the cat I have had the longest, so I worry more about him. He has suddenly started coming back upstairs again, and wasn't even that put off by Molly spitting at him earlier (he is known for being so laid back and doesn't have a go back). He is currently asleep on the cat bed in teh bathroom - it is only the second time (well, third if you count him wandering in earlier when i had a bath) I have seen him in my bathroom this year, and the first time was cos I had workmen in so upstairs was quieter - and then he went round all 3 rooms until he could get out again. Normally, he only comes up to see if there is any food left in Tom's bowl, and when he finds there isn't, he goes back downstairs, but not this weekend, he has then wandered into my room. He has also lost some more weight this month - which is a good thing, but a bigger drop than normal for him. His annual blood tests are due in OCtober, do you think it is OK to leave them till then, or should I get them done sooner? He is up monthly for weigh ins anyway, so can always reschedule one of those with the vet if he gets any other symptoms.

candyshandy
18-06-2006, 10:43 PM
If you're worried have a chat with the vet when you next go, I think if it was me I'd bring forward the test. Hopefully, its nothing to worry about though.;)

Sweet
18-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I hope Gingers ok x

Booktigger
19-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Annoyingly, he was only there on Thurs, so isn't due to go up again till the 13th July - might try and keep an eye on him, I can always get him in if he suddenly starts acting more odd!! The vet nurse wasnt concerned about his weight loss (and lets face it, he is on a diet, so it is a good thing, it isn't like he has lost for no reason), and he could just be more comfortable with teh cats in teh house, but I do worry about my Ginger.

DiddyDawn
19-06-2006, 04:31 PM
If he's lost more weight than normal and he's acting different to what he normally does, I would bring the tests forward.......I think by waiting longer and keeping an eye on him could be detrimental to his health if something is underlying. You know him better than anyone and would be better suited to judging what is normal for him and what isn't......but from what you've said, I would get him checked again.

Booktigger
19-06-2006, 05:58 PM
WEll, after checking my diary, I am no longer worried about his weight loss - when he went on monthly weigh ins in July, he weighed 5.35, and now weighs 5.12 - not a large weight loss in 11 months, as he has been up and down constantly!!! Even if you look at his heaviest last year, 5.75 to this months at 5.12, it isn't a lot - and that would be in 14 months. He is checked on a monthly basis and I will leave it like that, as my biggest concern was I thought he had lost too much weight. He might just find my bathroom cooler than the kitchen (bizarre, as the kitchen has always been the colder of the two rooms)