PDA

View Full Version : How do I teach them where the litter trays are

SillyTilly
18-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm very lucky that my new kittens are already litter trained.

But, how do I teach them where the litter trays are in my house. Eventually I want to have one in the bathroom upstairs and one in the hall way downstairs.

Should I start off with one in each room? Or will they learn quicker once if I just start with the two.

What should be the first step - physically showing them where they are? Putting them on their after they've eaten? Or something else?

I'm well aware that there will be a few little accidents to start off with, but I want to make it as smooth as possible.

Cheers

Olivia

CJK
18-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I just put them in it to start with, and let them jump out, they then seem to know where they are. I have four around my house lol, but some people are ok with one, i jsut have fussy cats

Mags
18-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I have one litter tray.....but only have one cat;) I keep it by the back door and Cassie has never had any problem 'finding' it since she was a small kitt.......

borderdawn
18-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I have one litter tray and 4 Cats, only 1 Cat uses it, put your kittens in it a couple times and leave free access to it, Cats are very clean creatures they will use it in no time.
Dawn.

Donna
18-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I put my two in the tray to start with when they were kittens, and they have never lost it since!!!! They know exactly where it is and never had accidents.

MrsH
18-06-2006, 07:20 PM
When I first showed my 2 where the litter tray was, as well as picking them up and putting them in it I held a paw and scratched at the litter with it. One of mine had an accident on the kitchen floor the first evening so I then put the kitchen paper I'd used to mop it up with into the tray as well so the right odour was in there.

It's important that you don't move the tray around as they very quickly associate a particular area with the tray.

Sweet
18-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I have one tray now and two kitties, but they go outside now mostly to do their business ;) x

dandysmom
19-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Mine have always been indoors only; just show them the box & they've always used it/them (have 2, one downstairs & one upstairs).

dinahsmum
19-06-2006, 09:37 AM
You could take a couple of plastic bags with you when you collect and scoop up a small amount of wee'd on litter to place in their new trays. Their noses will lead them to it.
However, I'd say don't worry - cats are amazingly clean and seem to be drawn, magically, to the litter tray. Obviously place them in prominent positions first of all and, if you want to move them at a later stage, do it inch by inch.

smudgley
19-06-2006, 09:43 AM
It always amazes me how kittens are naturally so clean. Even litters that have been born outside & not come in until 5 / 6 weeks, naturally go in the tray.
To teach your little ones to use the tray won't be a problem, however they need to know where it is.
I would put the tray/s wherever they are going to be long term & leave them there, put the food water nearby & ensure the kittens spend most of their time in this area initially. No good having the tray in the utility room at the back of the house if kitten is spending all his time in the lounge at the front, as it's a lot to expect the kitten to remember to go through the lounge / hall / kitchen to the utility each time he needs the toilet (not suggesting that's what you would do, but just giving an example). It is much easier if the tray is close by.
then easy peasy lemon squeezy - they will quickly get into a nice routine.

Jac
19-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Mine took to going at the back of the telly!! well Purrdie did. I put a tray there for a few weeks then moved it and just left one in the kitchen. No probs since.

dinahsmum
19-06-2006, 01:27 PM
........... or you could teach them to use the loo! :) Have you seen this thread?
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=7075

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_8.gif