PDA

View Full Version : Kitten essentials - what are they?

SillyTilly
17-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I will shortly be getting my first two kittens - and I want to make sure I've got everything they need.

So far I've got:
Three cat beds
One enclosed cat bed
Two litter trays
Pooper scooper thing
Food bowls
Water bowls
Feathery chaser thingy
scratching post
cat carrier

What else should be on my list of MUST haves.

I know there are lots of other bits I'll need, but I'll look to aquire them as time goes on.

Any thoughts?

Olivia

Hreow
17-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Separate washing-up brush for the litter-tray? (And perhaps the bowls, if you wash by hand and depending on how much you like sharing.)
I imagine you have the litter to go in the tray? :-)
Disinfectant for the tray. has to be cat safe.

About twelve years off work. :-)
Camera and film or big memory-cards.
Baby-shampoo for emergency washes, should they dip themselves in something nasty?

None of this is necessary, some may be handy.

Donna
17-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Only thing you need is love and cuddles!!!

dinahsmum
17-06-2006, 07:06 PM
.......... and the realisation that you don't need more than 6 hours sleep!

I have been amazed at how mine have taken to the scratching post/climbing tower. They just love it and are very good about only using that for their claws - I haven't seen them claw anything else.

dinahsmum
17-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Maybe get some white fish and/or plain chicken in the freezer, ready to cook up should your boys get bad bellies? But they'll be fine!

Booktigger
17-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Bet you can't wait!! Have you found out what litter and food they are already used to so you can stick with the same? You might want to get another cat carrier in the near future, they might be too big to fit in the same one come neutering time!!

MrsH
17-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Plenty of spare video tapes for all the TV programmes you won't have time to watch just yet because you'll be too busy watching their antics!

Something to groom them so they get used to it from the beginning, mine love the mitt thing with rubber prongs.

Post the pics when they arrive!!

dandysmom
17-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Brown paper grocery bags and some empty boxes for them to play in....they always seem to have more fun with things like that than "store bought" toys!! Although a ping pong ball always goes over well, at least with mine!!

Booktigger
17-06-2006, 11:11 PM
And you could also get them used to their claws being clipped while they are babies too - you dont necessarily have to buy cat claw clippers though.

SillyTilly
18-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone.. Some cool suggestions there. I'll make sure I pick up a grooming mitt soon. I've got another cat carrier (that I use for my pet rats) that I can use. I've also got other bits from the rats (like fish in the freezer, nail clippers etc) that can be shared.

:D

Olivia

Sweet
18-06-2006, 11:11 PM
:roll: All our ping pong balls are under the sofas permently LOL x