PDA

View Full Version : Cleo to the vets

Kazz
16-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I took Cleo to the vets a two weeks ago - as some of you may know - and he gave her three shots, Retarbolin/Laur, Metoclopramide, Depo Medrone, she has CRF like Oscar and Elaine's Winston, but she is loosing weight, she went 2 weeks ago today and weighed 4.8kilo's tonight exactly 2 weeks later she weighs 4.1 killo's which is a loss of over 1lb which is a lot for a small cat in a fortnight. She has had two more jabs tonight, Retarbolin/Laur and the Depo-Medrone.

We go back in 4 weeks unless I am concerned.........just to let you know.:)

Hreow
17-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Thin as a rail is fine, if she's healthy and happy, which she seems to be?

bobbie3917
17-06-2006, 02:20 AM
lets hope this works doe her

dandysmom
17-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Oh, I do hope she's doing better...that is quite a weight loss...is she eating OK? Please give her ((hugs)) from me.

dinahsmum
17-06-2006, 08:24 AM
That is a lot of weight loss - even allowing for the fact that it is summer. However, it needn't be all bad news - lightweight is better for heart etc. She still weighs considerably more than Min did a month ago before she took ill.
She must be on a different regime than Min. She has a daily tab of Fortekor, a side effect of which is increased appetite!

So, wise up Cleo - there's lots of this lovely summer still to come. Eat up all your dinners, cod roe and canned spaghetti. :cat21

Fran
17-06-2006, 11:12 AM
It's a fair weight loss kazz, let's hope that it starts to stabilise now. I know some drugs have the side effect of increased appetite as my vet tried them iwith Lucky...really hope she has a good summer Kazz x

Kazz
17-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks all, I know I sound like a mother hen but she's my Cleo:smt049 , and to be honest just the thought of thinking of loosing her makes me unable to see the keyboard through the tears. Stupid eh? Oh well onward and upward its a new day.

She is fine today even pottered round the garden and stationed herself under the beed feeder - I knew because thebirds were scereaming out "danger" sounds - ie "cat, cat, cat, go away cat" :roll:

Elaine
17-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Not stupid at all Kazz, I know exactly how you must be feeling. She may surprise you though, I can remember countless time when I thought it was almost the end for my old boy and then he'd bounce back, gain a few pounds and feel a little more playfull again.
Am thinking of you both xxx;)

Booktigger
17-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Fingers crossed that it was just a one off weight loss. I battled with weight probs for months with PEbbles, I know how worrying it can be (but every blood test we did on her showed no health probs, even when the vet thought she had). Fingers crossed the meds help her.

Sweet
17-06-2006, 05:49 PM
((((((huggles)))))) x

Donna
17-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Cleo and you are so lucky to have each other. She will get the best care any cat can have and will surprise you no doubt with her resiliance. Fingers crossed her weight will steady itself.

Mags
17-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I really hope the medication works for Cleo, Kazz........if anyone can help her through this, you can! (((hugs)))

dandysmom
17-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Kazz, I remember that she's a cheese lover...is she still enjoying her treats? Does she like anything else that's really not too good for a cat but that's fattening...like a bit of butter, or some melted vanilla ice cream? Prawns, ham, chicken? Little nibbles that may help to put on an ounce or so...

Kazz
17-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Kazz, I remember that she's a cheese lover...is she still enjoying her treats? Does she like anything else that's really not too good for a cat but that's fattening...like a bit of butter, or some melted vanilla ice cream? Prawns, ham, chicken? Little nibbles that may help to put on an ounce or so...

Thanks for the suggestions she is having all of the above when the mood takes her which is getting a little less often apart from the ice cream she does not seem to like "cold" things never has but she does like double cream :roll: she is also having a little spagheti bolognaise - she's always liked that.

Kazz
17-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Thank you all very very much for caring, the helpful suggestions and the sentiment behind the words means a lot. Thank you:)

borderdawn
17-06-2006, 09:52 PM
She sounds such a special little Cat and I know just how you feel, I feel so protective about these "oldies" here, you just dont want to see them deteriorate at all, we tend to think the worst. I dont think Cleo has anything to worry about at all, she's so loved how could she have any other worries??
Dawn.

dinahsmum
18-06-2006, 10:03 AM
When is she due to go back to the vets Kazz? Maybe s/he could come up with something to perk her appetite? A different steroid?

Failing that, and from memory, the following have been well received (but usually only for a day or two ... and then they 'don't fancy that' :roll: )
canned fish in tomato sauce (sild are good, tiny and 'sweet')
prawns
roast chicken thigh (moist and soft)
chicken liver
chicken heart (Sainsbury sell them frozen in tubs)
tiny Sunday roast, chopped and swathed in good gravy
creme fraiche (eaten off a finger :roll: )

Good luck

Elaine
20-06-2006, 12:07 PM
How is my favourite old girl doing? Hope she is eating well and keeping her strength up. xxx

dandysmom
20-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes, please, may we have a followup on how she's doing?

Kazz
20-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Thank you very much for your interest and concern - Cleo is okay thanks, she is eating and drinking and in herself seems okay. She just seems old all of a sudden if that makes sense, :? although she is a happy old lady far from the decrepide old soul that I sometimes think my descriptions and posts make her sound.

She has just finished eating a little chicken breast and right now she's sitting on the landing washing herself.:)

Moli
20-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Bless her....Give her a huge cuddle from me Kazz, she really sounds like a grand old lady!

Mags
20-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Pleased to hear Cleo seems better today Kazz........

dandysmom
21-06-2006, 01:59 AM
I think the washing is a good sign...I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back (ah, hindsight!!) Patches seemed to have lost a bit of interest in grooming herself...

dinahsmum
21-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Pleased to get this update Kazz - I was beginning to worry over your silence! Glad the old girl is good, even if she is starting to look her age - goodness me, at over 100 she's allowed to do that.
Agree with DM about grooming - that is important.

Elaine
21-06-2006, 01:11 PM
You had me a little worried for a bit there Kazz;) So pleased she is doing well. I know exactly what you mean about becoming old all of a sudden. Please give her a cuddle from me xxx

Donna
21-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Glad Cleo is still doing well Kazz - give her lots of cuddles from me x