PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Rosie
14-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Kittens- Thanks to new veterinary practices all our kittens are now also neutered prior to rehoming. They cannot go to new homes until they are over 10 weeks old.

Can kittens under 10 weeks old really be neautered? (This was a quote from a rehoming policy of a cat rescue).

dinahsmum
14-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I read this a little while ago.
http://www.thecatgroup.org.uk/
If it doesn't harm the kits I'd say - go for it!

Hreow
14-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Policy-statement 1 in the above link. As early as seven weeks is possible.
"Book in for neutering two to three weeks after vaccinations complete" sounds sensible, as vet-practices tend to be full of sick animals for some reason. :-)

Moli
14-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I know some country's neuter both Cats and Dogs at an early age, Personally think its a great idea...

dinahsmum
14-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I think we've all sort of got into the '6 month' habit/mindset.
If you think of the tiny creatures which are now routinely anaesthetised and operated upon - hamsters, rats, birds etc - then the size of kittens shouldn't be an issue.
My boys are just 9 weeks and seem to have their full complement of accessories, so i guess they could be done, in theory (aww, ikkle babies). It's just a question of it not compromising their health in adult life but, seeing as we infantilise our cats, don't like them showing sexual traits, it could well be best never to let those hormones stir.

Moli
14-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I think we've all sort of got into the '6 month' habit/mindset.
If you think of the tiny creatures which are now routinely anaesthetised and operated upon - hamsters, rats, birds etc - then the size of kittens shouldn't be an issue.
My boys are just 9 weeks and seem to have their full complement of accessories, so i guess they could be done, in theory (aww, ikkle babies). It's just a question of it not compromising their health in adult life but, seeing as we infantilise our cats, don't like them showing sexual traits, it could well be best never to let those hormones stir.Agree totally with you DM, my vet did my boys as soon as they had enough to remove..Merlin was 4 months. so was Oliver...;)

borderdawn
14-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Its common in dogs and cats in the States, but more recently here aswell. Personally I would wait a while, but it wouldnt put me off buying one that had already been done.
dawn.

Kay
14-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Some vets are beginning to do this but a lot still won't. As a breeder I am in a quandry over this. While I would like my babies to be guaranteed that they are not breed from by less than reputable people I feel it is a lot for a tiny kitten to go through vaccinations, neutering and moving to a new home away from littermates etc at a very young age (13 weeks).
The stress of all these put together could so easily mutate the coronavirus, that is present in almost all multi cat households, into the fatal F.I.P. Having had personal experience of this terrible disease I would not want anyone to go through it.
My babies go to their new homes without their paperwork until veterinary proof of neutering is received at the age of 6 months and a contract is signed by the new owners, myself and a witness to this effect (other conditions as well). The contract is a legal and binding document and I have taken cats/kittens back because the contract has not been adhered too, luckily this has only happened with two cats and they were from the same household. All the other new owners have returned the veterinary proof slips duly signed and stamped by their vets and have in return received their registrations and pedigree. Genuine people do not have a problem with this if they did they would have to go elsewhere.
Until it can be proved that all this would be totally unstressful, which of course it never can, I am unwilling to take a chance with my beautiful babies.

Hope I don't get slated now :( :(

Booktigger
14-06-2006, 09:39 PM
I personally agree with early neutering - I used to be iffy about it till I had a chat with a lady who runs a local shelter who spays and neuters at 8 weeks - kittens and puppies. They have seen a dramatic reduction in animals being returned complete with litter as no animal leaves them without it being done, and they have never had a prob in over 14 years of doing it. I saw a 16 week old puppy, and you could barely see her scar

dandysmom
15-06-2006, 02:21 AM
It is more common now here in the States than it used to be. Leia was spayed at 18 weeks; years ago my boys weren't neutered until 6 months (advice of my vet at the time) , and Misty was spayed at 5 months only because she had come into her first heat. I personally am more comfortable at doing it a bit later, but, as always, rely on what my vet says. Dandy, my Pura came to me at 2 months; I didn't get his papers until I returned the vet's notice of neutering...it was in the contract I signed.