PDA

View Full Version : Kittens, hand rearing.. urgent advice needed

Amanda
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Firstly I appologise for not being around for absolutely ages and feel rather cheeky asking for advice. But I didn't know where else to turn, as I know if anyone knows, then catpagers will know :)

Anyhow.. I am currently in charge of 2 kittens that arrived today. Rescued from the steel works, after mum was found dead (shot in head). So I'm currently feeding them by syringe, Lactol every 3 hours and trying my best to keep their temperature stable (pretty hard in this heat). I'm stimulating them to urinate and defacate after each feed and seem to be managing quite well.

So am I doing it right? If not.. please tell me.
I am not 100% certain how old they are, but Carol who 'rescued' them reckons they are 3 weeks. (they are the same size as my hand, have their eyes open, can support their own weight (walk) and one of them is defacating on his own).

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks

Amanda
(Still working for ACC)

Fran
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I am no expert on hand rearing kittens, although I have hand reared pups. I do have a friend who breeds and occasionally hand rears and it sounds like you have got it just about right there. If they are roughly 3 weeks old, which it sounds like they could be from what you are saying, after they have settled with you a few days, perhaps you could start to introduce kitten meat to them? Good luck and do let us know how they get on x

Edited to say that if they are three weeks old now, they will be starting to regulate their own body temperatures...Main thing is to keep them draught free and not let them overheat

smudgley
10-06-2006, 10:33 PM
firstly well done you for taking on such a commitment.
If their eyes are open & they are wobbling around on their own, I would think they are about 3 weeks old.
Lactol every 3 hours sounds good to me. I would suggest 3 hourly during the day & maybe 4 hourly through the night, although in this hot weather I think if you can manage every 3 hours day & night it may be better.
Stimulation is essential, although they won't need doing for much longer.
So I reckon you've just about got everything under control.
The only other thing you may want to try is a nice cool drink of pre-boiled water occasionally in between feeds.:)

Kim
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Many moons ago we hand reared 3 2 1/2 week old kittens who had lost their mum in an RTA. Sounds like you are doing just fine to me. The cooled boiled water is a great idea in this heat. I would feed every 3 hours and then stimulate them to urinate/defecate afterwards. You will also need to 'wind' them after a feed. 2 of our kittens got colic as they were so greedy. Just rub their backs using your thumb and index finger in a long stroking action. We kept all 'our' kittens and they lived to 18, 16 & 15 years, so even though we were novices we must have done okay!! Good luck and keep us updated and piccies please.

Amanda
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Thank You for all your reply's. I'm so relieved that I'm doing it right. I have handreared pups, but have never had anything to do with cats nor kittens as sadly i have an anti-cat hubby n dog.

I've only got them until monday when they will be going to a foster home with more experience than me. She couldn't have them today as she is working 12 hours tonight and so would miss their feeds etc.. so I have the pleasure instead.
I will certainly do the water and winding as that is one thing i haven't done. Both seem to be defacating on their own now, but i'm wiping them in a similar fashion as their mother would have done and that seems to stimulate their urination ok (alhtough they don't always do it, but there's no swelling of the bladder, so hope thats normal)
I'll also be taking them to the vets on monday morning to see if we're right about their age etc.. its just i really needed to know i was doing the right thing.
(If it were pups.. I'd be a dab hand.. but kittens... I really haven't got a clue..)
So thank you so much...:D:D:D

Here's a few photo's for those of you who haven't seen them on dogweb (as i posted on there too as a backup)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/acc2006/P0610_225126.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/acc2006/P0610_225109.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/acc2006/P0610_224935.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/acc2006/P0610_225005.jpg

:smt049

Hreow
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
I could get up every three hours through the night for those. :-) Shame about the husband and dog, you'd make a very good mad cat-woman. :grin:

Just read your "what I did today" post. That's a very good idea! There would probably be less football and rubbish telly if I got kittens every time! :-D Very clever of you!!

CJK
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
I cant offer any advice, but my word arent they adorable little things!!!
So sad about thier mum though, but at least they were found in time and are now getting lots of love and attention

Donna
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Well done for looking out for these little kittens. You sound like you are doing a great job. I havent a clue how to hand rear any animal but the advice above will be the best you can get!

They are so cute!!

Fran
11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
What cutie pies :smt007

Mags
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Well done Amanda for all the help you are giving these little cuties!:D

dinahsmum
11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Well done Amanda.
I did it once, over 40 years ago with a semi feral whos mum was an rta victim. Think he was only about 10 days and he survived on cows milk and farleys rusks! Don't think we knew about replacement milk etc.
However, he thrived.
Sadly and ironically, he too perished on the road before his first birthday.

Amanda
12-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Thank you all so much for your wonderful support and yes they were adorable....:smt049

Dinahsmum, so sorry to hear of that kitten. You get so attached so quickly don't you (well I have).

Well I have sad news. One of the kittens died between 7am and 9am on Sunday morning :cry: He was obvously weaker then the other one and I have now become to understand that it was natures way. Still didn't stop the pain of losing him though and wondering what I'd done wrong...

The other little lad, who we decided to call wiskas, started to lap at water, and started to increase his intake of food (from 5ml to 10ml per feed). He is definately defacating by himself now. On sunday afternoon, we noticed two spots of blood on the wipe after wiping his bottom and so I took him to the vets this morning and she thinks he's about 14 days old.(and not the 3 wks old that I had been told) She gave him a couple of injections of fluids and antibiotics. We have a feeding kit and a tin of clinicat (think thats what it was called). She seemed quite happy with his progress from friday since she'd seen him last and said that he's not out of the woods yet, but we'd done everything right...

The downside for me is that I go back to uni tomorrow and so have to hand him over to a fosterer who can continue with his 3 hourly feeds 24/7. (I was only supposed to be having him until today anyhow, but I can tell you that I really, really wanted him to stay.. After a family consultation, we decided that it would be best for him to go to the other fosterer on account of I'm at uni (only 2 wks left), have assignments to finish and our girls who have helped me this weekend are at school and so even with shifts, we wouldnt be able to give him the 100% attention he needs now. I'm gutted and just wished that he'd been born 2 weeks later, as I'd have all the time in the world for him.. So this afternoon I had to hand him over..
We're going to miss the little guy and hope he does well.

I hope to hear of progress reports, so will let you know.

Thanks once again for coming to my emergency aid. You have all been a fantastic help and support.
Who knows, I'm sure that during my holidays there will be more kittens needing help and now I know what I'm doing. (the stupid thing is, I can tell you the dietry requirements of cats, what signs of illness to look out for, can even go into detail about their dietry, CNS system, endocrine systems etc, etc... but I've never actually owned or been owned by a cat... :roll:... well there's time yet ;):D watch this space :lol )

Sweet
12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Well done for everything you did for the two tiny fluffies, :( one has gone over to rainbow bridge, but both will never ever be forgotten x

Kim
12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Amanda you did everything you could for those two little ones. I am sorry and sad to hear about the one that died, but as you say, often it is natures way. Good luck for the last two weeks of university. I have 2 children, one doing her GCSE's and the other doing A levels, then he is off to uni in September. :(

Amanda
13-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Well done for everything you did for the two tiny fluffies, images/smilies/icon_sad.gif one has gone over to rainbow bridge, but both will never ever be forgotten x He certainly won't. ever be forgotten and has his own special place of rest in my garden.

Amanda you did everything you could for those two little ones. I am sorry and sad to hear about the one that died, but as you say, often it is natures way. Good luck for the last two weeks of university. I have 2 children, one doing her GCSE's and the other doing A levels, then he is off to uni in September. images/smilies/icon_sad.gif
I didn't realise that they had both been taken to the vets on friday morning after Carol had found them. The same vet saw Lucky as I've decided to call him now, on monday and she said he was totally different and a lot stronger. Again I could see see she was trying to warn me that he wasn't out of the woods, but trying to be encouraging all at the same time. But as I'm forever the optimist, I am thinking positive and preying that he makes it.

Well Linda phoned me today as she had spoken to the fosterer who says that he is doing just fine and that he's made it through another night :D She said that he's getting more active and is eating well. (thats made my day, I have to say)
I woke up at 2am this morning, went downstairs and was ratching around for his syringe and feed.. wot a dozy so and so I was.. it took me about 5 minutes of searching before I realised that he wasn't here :( so we're missing him...

[Off topic reply to Kim] My eldest is doing his GCSE's now too, so I hope your children and mine do well. :) its a stressful time for them at the mo, but I'm sure they will do just fine ;)

Kim
13-06-2006, 10:40 PM
[Off topic reply to Kim] My eldest is doing his GCSE's now too, so I hope your children and mine do well. :) its a stressful time for them at the mo, but I'm sure they will do just fine ;)[/quote]

Thanks - let's hope so. yes it is a stressful time, I do feel for them all.

Amanda
20-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I heard from Wiska's foster mum today and she said that he is getting stronger by the day.:D He's a lot more active now and loves to crawl all over her. He's also started weaning too and is happily taking some form of solid from her finger. Obviously, he's not completely out of the woods yet, but I'm thinking positively that he will make it.

CJK
20-06-2006, 07:03 PM
oh so glad to hear he is doing ok. but very sad about the other cat.

Well done for doing such an amazing job, it isnt easy i bet

Donna
20-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Fingers crossed for the little one and hope he continues to keep up the fight.

RIP little one who didnt quite make it x

whiskey
20-06-2006, 07:27 PM
they are so cute:D .poor mummy cat and poor little baby :( and a big well done to you:D :D :Dat least one of them is on the up:D

Fran
20-06-2006, 08:23 PM
It's all sounding very positive Amanda! Brilliant news :-)

Kim
20-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Much more positive news. Let's hope he continues to thrive.