PDA

View Full Version : Cats and drinking

dinahsmum
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Didn't quite know whether to put this in Health, or Diet, or Behaviour, but anyway here it is.
I've just ordered a 'cat spa' in the hope of ensuring Min doesn't get dehydrated again. It sounds good - "like a dripping tap always available" - well, all cats seem to like that. Anyone any experience? *waits for 15 replies, telling me they are rubbish* :roll:
Hope it does the trick - they can be a bit stubborn can't they?

Maybe someone else has 'drink more water' tips?

Hreow
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Rover loves his. So much that he has restricted access to it, because he plays with the water until there is not enough left to run the pump safely.

Have you tried putting small containers with water all over the place? My water-rat of a cat loves "drinking out" as well. And taps, but I'm *not* leaving them running.

Flavoured water? A small amount of chicken-broth, (well-cooked!) meat-juices or something like that added to the water might make it more attractive. You have to keep on top of it, keep the bowls clean, wipe spills etc. though, as nasty bugs like to grow in the stuff as well.

Jac
09-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Well Purrdie loves a running tap! I turn it on every now and again for her.

Mags
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I'll be interested to see your replies DM as I can honestly say I have never seen Cassie drink from her water bowl in all the years I've had her. I too have been concerned at how little she drinks.....if these cat spas do the trick, I think I will be ordering one, too:D

dinahsmum
09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Mags - I think young, healthy cats, eating wet food, need very little actual liquid water. It's a genetic thing, from originating as desert animals. Now, a tasty puddle, that's a different matter! :roll:
Also, they are sensitive to the presence of chemicals and find our 'treated' water distasteful (that's why a puddle is preferred)
My daughter has a 'Drinkwell' and her two (young, healthy boys) enjoy a few licks of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/freshflow_fountain.jpg

Drinking lots of fresh water is recommended not only for the well being of humans but also for cats. The Freshflow uses mains power to continuously passes water through a filter to keep it tasting clean and fresh. The movement also adds oxygen to the water naturally and the replaceable charcoal filter helps to reduce bacteria and remove contaminants. Holds 1.4Lt 12"lx8"wx6.5"h approx

RRP: £49.99
Our Price: £29.99
Save 40%

On special offer at the mo, with pet planet

Hreow
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Don't think many cats let us see them drinking from the waterbowl. :-) There is quite a bit of moisture in wet food, then there's the basin or bath after someone's had a bath, the flower-vases, condensation, spillage, water from the sink, drips from the tap, the wash-basin, (the loo... - lid down for that reason, but you can't train guests. :roll:), rain-water off shoes and boots, aquarium... long list.

Mags
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
That looks very interesting DM and worth looking into......thanks for posting;)

andrew021
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I asked my Vet as Jet never seemed to drink water.

He replied if a cat eats mainly wet food (contains 85% water) then it dosnt need extra water but if its mainly biscuits then fresh water should always be available.

To test if a cat is dehydrated the skin on the back of its neck would be tight and loose if its hydrated.

My cat never seems to drink from her water bowl, its changed every day, she always eats wet food.

janey83
09-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Tiggers not been much of a drinker! He will drink out of puddles if theres one available!
if not then drinkin out of my glass is his second fave!
Then out of his own bowl. lol

candyshandy
09-06-2006, 05:51 PM
I have the catit fountain - all mine love it :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/catit_water_fountain.jpg

Elaine
09-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I have the catit fountain - all mine love it :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/catit_water_fountain.jpg

Thats what I have too. Winston liked it and so does Bernie, have seen Eva at it a couple of times.

Sweet
09-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Ive been pondering this all week, not sure whether Violet and Mau Mau drink from their water bowls, and this hot weather, not sure where they would find a drink x

Kay
14-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Have you tried using a rabbit water bottle. If you smear the metal tube with something like the juice from tuna they soon get the hang of it. Ideal for cats who prefer to drink out of dripping taps. Just an idea.

Hreow
14-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I must try that! Good tip, thanks! may save on the wall-wiping after his water-games. ;-)

Mags
14-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Have you tried using a rabbit water bottle. If you smear the metal tube with something like the juice from tuna they soon get the hang of it. Ideal for cats who prefer to drink out of dripping taps. Just an idea.
That is good idea Kay.....thanks for the tip!:D

Moli
14-06-2006, 10:43 PM
All my cats drink out of bowls and the dogs fountain....they do drink quite a lot too..

Kim
14-06-2006, 11:01 PM
All mine drink from bowls, but I use wide dog bowls as I've heard they prefer this. However, Misty loves a dripping tap - and the bird bath too! He would love that Cat spa! I've often thought I would like to buy one but been put off by the price. That's a good offer from petplanet.

Kay
15-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I must try that! Good tip, thanks! may save on the wall-wiping after his water-games. ;-)

Yes they make quite a mess don't they. Handy when your stripping wallpaper though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hreow
15-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Handy for the stripping, but not when you get to the bit where you're dangling a plumb-line to get the next lot up straight... Anything on a bit of string is a cat-toy to be instantly played with. :roll: :grin:

Kay
15-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Handy for the stripping, but not when you get to the bit where you're dangling a plumb-line to get the next lot up straight... Anything on a bit of string is a cat-toy to be instantly played with. :roll: :grin:

How true:roll: :roll: . I think I will go for painted walls next time round.

MzTrouble
15-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd love one of the water fountains but I dont have the room :( My cats can turn on the taps and so so in the bath :roll:

But they refuse to drink from bowls, they will only drink filtered water (must taste nicer) from glasses scattered around the flat, we have 1 glass in each room that gets the water replaced in it twice a day.....

spoiled? my cats? no!

dinahsmum
17-06-2006, 10:22 AM
The kittens like the fountain - still haven't seen Min using it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01520.jpg

Hreow
17-06-2006, 06:45 PM
DM I like the way your carpet matches his marmelade. :-) Not that ne *needs* help to look handsome!