PDA

View Full Version : Cat Flap - Good or Bad

andrew021
09-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Reading a lot of the topics posted and the good weather we are having, I am think of having a cat flap installed so Jet can come and go as she pleases.

Any body have any pros or cons on them.

I have a maghoney panelled back door and wondered if that would be a problem.

Hreow
09-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Con: It may let other cats in

Pro: You don't have to open the door or window at all (inconvenient) times.

I would have one - the key-kind - for Rover if we lived somewhere else.

Luz
09-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I have one in a wood & pvc door. No problems with other cats coming in as have dogs. A definate pro for us as we have 3 cats. Con is they can be draughty and my dogs like to put there heads through and break them.

carternm31
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
We have one in our PVCu door.
Pros: Jaf goes in and out as she pleases.
Cons: Tom cat from Downstairs used to come in (doesn't anymore as we have doggy now) also because we didn't buy a middle covering it looks a bit Manky as there is this pink stuff in the middle.

Mags
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
We have a 4 way lockable see-through catflap in a UVPC door.

1) It can used as exit only....locked so no other cat can get in.....
2) It can be used as entry only... locked so the cat can't get back out......
3) Or it can open in and out freely.
4) It can be locked in and out...

Never had a problem with it and on rainy days Cassie loves to sit by it and look out of her own little window!:D

smudgley
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
We have 2 cat flaps.
One from outside into utility & another from utility into kitchen.
both 4 way -
can be open / closed / in only / out only
They are good, but we do get the local Tom cat in quite often. :roll:
Not able to use either of those doors at the mo, due to building work so cat flaps are out of action, but we tend to have the front door open all the time anyway :roll:
We have a young kitten at the mo, so would need to be careful that she didn't wonder off unsupervised through a catflap!

Emm
09-06-2006, 11:08 PM
I love having a cat flap it was the first thing we did when we moved to this house - it took the cats awhile to get used to it but now they just come and go as they please when they want

Snoof
10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I tend to feel that cats are free animals and should be given that freedom where possible/desired/necessary and have always had a cat flap when I had cats who could go out (I had one oldie for a period of time and two who couldn't go out because of next door's dogs). Well, currently I have a hole in the wall the cats use to go in and out, but you know what I mean :roll:

*wanders off muttering "Must beat those boys into putting in that bleeding catflap!"*

Donna
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I think cat flaps are a good idea - the downside of me having one is that the local bully cat keeps trying to get in and also..

My stupid Misty still doesnt know how to use it after having the flap for over a year!!! She waits by it so we lift it up for her. Chloe can use it fine and that works well when she has a strop and wont come in of a morning when I am off to work (dont like them out when I not around). I just set it on "in only" and she does come in on her own accord.

Very handy!!

Sweet
10-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I havnt got one here yet......I have a white upvc door and not sure how to go about getting one? Do I buy it and get a window/door person to install ? x

Mags
10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I havnt got one here yet......I have a white upvc door and not sure how to go about getting one? Do I buy it and get a window/door person to install ? x
When we had new windows and doors a couple of years ago, I asked the installers if they would kindly put a catflap in the door for me and they were more than happy to oblige.....

Emm
10-06-2006, 12:57 PM
originally posted by Donna

My stupid Misty still doesnt know how to use it after having the flap for over a year!!! She waits by it so we lift it up for her.

:lol: :lol: I would say she has learned to use it very well - why do something yourself when some-one else is willing to do it for you :lol: :lol:

Confucious will use the catflap but if I'm about she prefers me to take on the duty of door person and will shout loudly if I don't do my job properly :lol:

cats....you gotta love 'em. :lol:

MzTrouble
15-06-2006, 12:43 PM
If I owned my flat I would put one in like a shot. You can lock it at night, the cat isnt locked in during the day when you are at work, can come and go as they please.....

if you cat enjoys going out, I'd get one :cool:

Rosie
26-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I have one in a wood & pvc door. No problems with other cats coming in as have dogs. A definate pro for us as we have 3 cats. Con is they can be draughty and my dogs like to put there heads through and break them.

I have one in my stable back door. Could not possibly have a cat without a cat flap. Rosie just does her own thing and so will little Huey when he gets old enough.

Booktigger
27-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I really wanted a catflap, so much so that I got my cats used to wearing collars so they could have a tag on them (at the time there were 5 other permanent cats, plus 2 visitors - now we have 7 other permanent cats and 2 visitors on the street), but I Was told that even with magnetic catflaps, cats can get out without a tag - which would mean that I would have to have it on in only when the fosters were out - whcih might defeat the object of it really.

Jules
20-08-2006, 06:35 PM
I have had a cat flap for years, as i have 3 cats, they come and go as they please and i have never had a problem with other cats using it, if i moved and i didnt have one i would definately get one fitted, cats are very independent animals and i think they really enjoy having that freedom and its one way to escape the new pup (he can only get his head though).

Kazz
20-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi I wouldn' be without the cat flap Cleo and especially Oz adore their freedom :) When had a new porch built a couple of years ago now had the cat flap installed within the brickwork (hard work finding catflap that was the right size etc got one that was 4 way closing in/out/closed in/closed out. Simple as if I had to repair it I would be stumped. :)

Had to put a step outside as the step down to outside was higher than old cats could or rather would manage. :)

Rosie
21-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Can you please let me know where you got your brickwork cat flap? Did you get a builder to fit it? I know someone who has a glass back door and thought they couldn't have a cat flap but putting into the brickwork is one solution.

Kazz
21-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi I will get pictures tomorrow I am off to work now. Soz but tomorrow :)

John
21-08-2006, 03:42 PM
As soon as I had Millie 11 years ago I had a builder friend put a cat flap thro the kitchen wall under the sink..Millie luves it as she can come and go as she pleases..and I dont have to worry if shes out at nite as she can come in when she please's

John

binza
20-10-2006, 08:28 PM
hi i did have a cat flap put in when my 2 older cats used to go out in the garden i found it useful so i didnt have to have the door open all the time , but it came to an end when my collie dog stuck his head through it thinking he could get back in !!! he usely chased them up the garden but forgot when to stop and found it stuck round his head. anyway they are a good idea if you like to let them out but with my new kittys id rather they went out with me and come back in with me then i know where they are.
tracy