PDA

View Full Version : Getting another cat?

Luz
08-06-2006, 03:59 PM
How long would you all think is a sensible time to leave it to buy a new cat or help a rescue? Poppy has been gone since 21st May and has (even though I have 3 still) an empty hole. She was such a great friend always with me wherever I went. I have Sophie who likes to sit with me at the table while Im on the computer and sit on my lap. 2 boys who prefer to be out and both rescued as older cats and typically just want attention when it suits them.
I did once try to replace my one cat 'Blue' that was so like my baby. I loved her so much when she died I thought I would heal the pain and rescue one, obviously he was nothing like Blue.
Ive just been on holiday and a beautiful grey Burmese was the resident cat on the campsite and he was remarkable in nature. He followed me everywhere and loved being close to humans. It just got me thinking. But not sure. What do you think?

Hreow
08-06-2006, 04:02 PM
The time will be different for everyone, and you may decide that what you have is enough?
If another cat is a good idea, get one that is nothing like Poppy and that will go well with Sophie.

Stating the bloomin' obvious, I know. :-D

dinahsmum
08-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Listen to your heart - you will know.

Luz
08-06-2006, 04:09 PM
The time will be different for everyone, and you may decide that what you have is enough?
If another cat is a good idea, get one that is nothing like Poppy and that will go well with Sophie.

Stating the bloomin' obvious, I know. :-D
:-D :-D :-D

Luz
08-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Listen to your heart - you will know.
Thats still a bit messed up, I think I may of been okay if I hadnt seen Henry the Burmese.:roll:

Mags
08-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Thats still a bit messed up, I think I may of been okay if I hadnt seen Henry the Burmese.:roll:
It sounds to me as if you are still very unsure what you really want, so I would say wait until you feel more positive and certain that you are doing the right thing........then you will know it is the right time.

Good luck anyway, whatever you decide!:D

LMC
08-06-2006, 05:51 PM
When my Lucy (an only cat) died suddenly, I cleaned the house to help take my mind off it because I couldn't sleep. The day after, I went to the rescue centre where I had adopted Lucy in floods of tears, with photos - I'd only had her four months and hadn't got around to sending happy cat photos but wanted the rescue centre to have some. I said I'd consider adopting another - Jenny was there, I fell in love, the rest is history! - this was the days when you could take cats home the same day, so I did. Jenny really is my special baby - I have four girls now, and although I love them all, she really is "the one" - with me longest and the most affectionate.

Although it was the next day, I *knew* that the 'new cat' would not be a "replacement" for Lucy - but another cat that I would love just as much. And I had told the rescue centre "no black and whites" (I'd have another tux cat now, but that was too soon).

So yes, it's what feels right. But it also has to be the right cat.

Having said all that, Lucy was an only, and you still have 3 to care for. In those circumstances, I would wait until the others have 'settled' before changing things again.

Fran
08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
It's a very personal decision i think....everyone copes with loss in different ways. I think you will know when the time is right......follow your heart x

smudgley
08-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I agree with Fran - it's a personal decision, some people would want another cat straight away - others may say they don't want another for a while.

We had one of our cats (had 3 at the time) killed in a RTA last October. Very sudden & unexpected (obviously :roll: ) & we didn't have time to say goodbye, it was really, really hard & my husband found it difficult as she loved him to bits & used to sleep on his pillow in bed every night. We both thought we wouldn't get another cat at that time as it just didn't seem right.

Then suddenly - 8 months on (now) we "stumbled" across a cutie kitten & just knew it was right to keep her. We are over the moon with her & she is a real delight to have around. :)

Kazz
08-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I think when its the right time you know its the right time.

My first cat Archie he was run over and killed at 8 months old I heard about two kitten from my vet I went to look and took them both home.
I had Oscar PTS last December and thankfully still have Cleo with me she will be 24 and I think it will be a long time after she goes that I will be ready to have another cat. Unless one lands on my doorstep demanding a home.....but I really don't see a time my heart will be taken with another cat....:?

But I wish you every luck in finding your new addition:)

Luz
09-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Thankyou all for your advice all 'paws' (sorry) for thought. I tentatively looked in the ad-trader and there was an ad for a grey tabby, havent done anything about it, I think Im just testing my own reactions.
I definately want another but may wait a bit longer.
If anyone does know of a grey queen kitten in the North East I may be smitten into getting a kitten. Im sorry! Too early for puns.

Emm
09-06-2006, 11:13 PM
you will know yourself when the time is right - whenever I have lost a pet I have gotton another one quite soon after - it has always helped my pain. The only time I feel it was too soon was when I lost Bouncer and I feel I got Barney far too soon - as you know Bouncer was my soul mate I should have waited a little bit longer - although Barney is so much like Bouncer its scary.

Snoof
10-06-2006, 12:56 AM
It is a very personal decision. I'm sure you'll make the right one if you listen to your heart. As a general rule, I think, "When you're no longer trying to replace the cat you lost" is good.

Best of luck.