PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for front bed

candyshandy
08-06-2006, 12:02 PM
As you all know I'm a complete novice when it comes to gardening :oops: so really need your help!!

The front bed currently has in it 2 dwarf conifers and 3 shrubs (no idea what they are!). The front of the bed is bare as is the back. Also, one of the shrubs has gone mad and what I thought would be a fairly small plant has turned into this huge thing! Proportionately the bed is out of kilter (sp?). Do I buy small plants (need some colour!) to fill in the front and back or do I go for the shrub size. Oh and just to make it even more complicated it is clay soil.

I'm currently thinking daisy plants and phlox..........

Will try and get a piccie later when I get home.

Sorry for the garbled message!!:oops:

Thanks

yola
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
If you could post a picture that would help. Also, in which direction is the garden facing; i.e., does it get a lots/some/no sun?

What kind of plants do you like? Shrubs or architectural plants or splashes of seasonal colour (or a mixture).

candyshandy
08-06-2006, 12:58 PM
It gets sun for most of the day. For the front bed I think I'd like something evergreen but will give colour in the summer.

Will get a piccie later - I warn you though its really ugly:oops:

Hreow
08-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Put some evergreen things at the back of the bed where they can be tall and structural. Think you can grow almost any bedding-plants at the front, if they're annual.
You could probably grow clematis or something else that climbs and flowers up the evergreens for the colour.

candyshandy
08-06-2006, 06:51 PM
OK here is the offending bed :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/bed3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/bed2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/candiceh/bed1.jpg

yola
08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I would suggest both the largish shrub and the blue/grey shrub can be pruned into shape. I'd then maybe consider some smaller grasses to add texture and some annual flowering plants (geraniums, salvias etc) to add splashes of colour.

Also, depends if you want to extend the border further into the lawn . . . in which case you can add some yucca or flax (spikeys) for height and shape.

candyshandy
08-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks Yola, I'm off to the garden centre at the weekend so will have a look :)

I did ask the gardener to sort out those shrubs and I swear he just tickled them with the secauters (sp?) :roll:

candyshandy
11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Well I've spent most of the day gardening :shock: :shock:

For the front bed I bought ornamental grass (the one that turns blue), campanula, another alpine (sorry forgot the name). I've also planted some mArigolds, zinnias and busy lizzies for colour interest. The coleus canina is in a pot on the side too - hopefully these will prevent any more cat poo:?

In the back garden potted out - zinnias, busy lizzies, clematis, solanum, verbena, some other annuals that have a pretty daisy flower on, hollyhock, lavendar and gaillardia.

Pheeeww I'm shattered :D ;)

Mags
11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Your garden sounds lovely now.....don't forget the pics when it all starts flowering!;)

You've had a busy day.....better take things easy tonight:D