PDA

View Full Version : Can Cats suffer from Hayfever??

Moli
06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I ask because Oliver has had really runny eyes this past few day when he has been in the garden....He is ok inside....:?

dinahsmum
06-06-2006, 08:38 AM
I would think so - especially eye irritation.
This is the classic time of year, isn't it? - seeds and pollen galore

Moli
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Can I give him hayfever tablets, or should I get something from the vets?

Hreow
06-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Ask the vet. I wouldn't give him anything for humans unless told by my vet, or a reputable holistic equivalent.

Moli
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Spoken to the vet, she say's to give him half a piriton tablet, she also say's they will make him drowsy....Not to keen on that! May just keep bathing his eyes...

dinahsmum
06-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Moli - not quite sure if this is practical but a lot of human sufferers find that putting a light smear of vaseline on their eyelashes, and around there, traps a lot of the pollen which causes the reaction and makes life easier.
Of course a cat is likely to wash it off, but vaseline is inert, so won't harm.

Or contact Dorwest to see if they have a herbal recommendation.

I don't fancy Piriton for a cat either :roll:

Moli
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Moli - not quite sure if this is practical but a lot of human sufferers find that putting a light smear of vaseline on their eyelashes, and around there, traps a lot of the pollen which causes the reaction and makes life easier.
Of course a cat is likely to wash it off, but vaseline is inert, so won't harm.

Or contact Dorwest to see if they have a herbal recommendation.

I don't fancy Piriton for a cat either :roll:Thanks DM, will try the vaseline on him...and me too, I have spent the morning sneezing!!

Mags
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks DM, will try the vaseline on him...and me too, I have spent the morning sneezing!!
My SIL suffers badly with hayfever and he puts vaseline around his nostrils.......it does help him. Don't think you could do that to Oliver but it may help you Moli.....:?

Moli
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Of course I had forgotten it is impossible to get anything in Olivers eyes...Have just tried with the vaseoline...He now has it up his nose and all over his head!!:roll: :roll: Hopfully it may do some good up his nose...:roll: