PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour Has Abandoned Cat

Emm
05-06-2006, 10:34 PM
One of my neighbours left a few weeks ago and only took one of their cats with them and they have abandoned the other one. I wasn't sure if they had given him to some-one else but it was confirmed tonight. I have been feeding him and so has another neighbour but I can't leave him I need to do something. He keeps going to the house and looking at it - but theres nobody there now :cry: :cry: :cry:

One of the neighbours has been in touch with the SSPCA and CPL they don't want to do anything - I'm going to try and phone the CPL and see what they say - I have never had much luck in the past with them but I am fed up supporting animal charities and then when I need help from them they don't want to know.

I'm having computer troubles at the moment so I might not be able to answer to this post fast but if any-one has any advice about this I would really appreciate it.

He is an uneutered tom cat absolutley filthy but adorable - he won't let me near him although I'm slowly gaining his trust - but hes fighting badly with my eldest male cat hes ripped his throat open twice now two expensive vet treatments :roll:

Elaine
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Thats so sad, how could any one just go and leave their cat behind, just beggars beleif. And why is it that these organisations never seem to want to help, that just maddens me.
It may help if you call them and tell them of the incidents with your own cat.
Poor babe, I hope some one can help.

Emm
05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I'll get the cat a new home eventually I could just really use the help of a charity to help with catching him and getting him safe. I would normally just let him in the house until I have found another home but I can't because of the fighting with Lao.

The CPL will normally take small kittens from me but with older cats they have said in the past they are too full best to leave the cat wandering the streets. This cat is only about a year and half old. I'll see what they say to me when I phone.

It seems where I am there isn't much for animal welfare - I definately won't even waste my time contacting the SSPCA

Mags
I really hope something can be done to help this cat Emm........:(

Snoof
Elaine is wise :-) I do hope you can get something done - I always like my rescue because if I have any trouble with one of the cats I can ring them and they always try to give good advice or extend help.

Elaine
05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
In that case Emm, if you are prepared to try to rehome him why not just ask them if soem one can help you with trapping and neutering him. Once neutered he may not be quite such a problem with your own cat.
Fingers crossed xxx

Moli
05-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Hope you can sort this poor boy out.....Maybe he didn't get on with the cat they took with them..although its no excuse to leave the poor boy!

smudgley
05-06-2006, 10:58 PM
This is really sad, however unfortunately it happens every single day.
Can I just say I'm sure it's not that the CP don't "want" to know/help.
I can only talk about the branch I'm involved with, but because CP branches are run by volunteers, we struggle to find enough volunteers to foster the cats. We have to prioritise the calls & pregnant moms / kittens take first priority, ill, elderly cats are also given a pen if possible - so a healthy male cat would who is being fed by someone would not be up there on the priority list. Of course we'd take him in if we could, we'd take them all, but the reality is that there are more cats needing help than the rescues can cope with. Sad I know, believe me it's really hard. I took a call only this evening from a lady who has found a cat, she thinks she's only a youngster & she's pregnant. She's one of many, there's the pregnant one who wondered into a mans office the other day, the pregnant one that someone found hanging around when they moved into their new home, there's the cat who is living in the roof of a property with her 4 kittens & the thin, ill cat that a lady is concerned about. These are just the calls I've taken in the last few days & I don't take the majority of the calls for the branch.
So please don't think CP don't care, I'm sure they do. Maybe they would pay for him to be neutered for you?

Emm
05-06-2006, 10:59 PM
the cats got on great a wee bit too well he got the other one pregnant - its not the first time shes abandoned an animal

Elaine
05-06-2006, 11:00 PM
The fact they left him roaming and un-neutered kinda speeks volumes about the last owners to me:?

Emm
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Smudgeley
his is really sad, however unfortunately it happens every single day.
Can I just say I'm sure it's not that the CP don't "want" to know/help.
I can only talk about the branch I'm involved with, but because CP branches are run by volunteers, we struggle to find enough volunteers to foster the cats. We have to prioritise the calls & pregnant moms / kittens take first priority, ill, elderly cats are also given a pen if possible - so a healthy male cat would who is being fed by someone would not be up there on the priority list. Of course we'd take him in if we could, we'd take them all, but the reality is that there are more cats needing help than the rescues can cope with. Sad I know, believe me it's really hard. I took a call only this evening from a lady who has found a cat, she thinks she's only a youngster & she's pregnant. She's one of many, there's the pregnant one who wondered into a mans office the other day, the pregnant one that someone found hanging around when they moved into their new home, there's the cat who is living in the roof of a property with her 4 kittens & the thin, ill cat that a lady is concerned about. These are just the calls I've taken in the last few days & I don't take the majority of the calls for the branch.
So please don't think CP don't care, I'm sure they do. Maybe they would pay for him to be neutered for you?

I don't mean to offend you I know you do great work - but I'm just frustrated because my local CP have never helped me out when I have needed them - I just get fed up supporting charities that never want to know you when you need help but are more than happy to take your money from you. I don't mean to sound harsh or bitter I'm just upset for this cat :cry: :cry:

smudgley
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Not offended & I do understand. We would always pay for the cost of (or some towards) neutering a cat in this situation.
I'm sorry to hear you have not been helped by your local CP branch in the past, maybe this time they will be able to help you. :)

Emm
05-06-2006, 11:08 PM
I hope so :)

Elaine
05-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I know what you mean Emm, I have had the same problems with our branch here. I understand that there are irresponsible pet owners who abandon and dump animals every day and that they have to prioritise but surely they could have said they would trap and neuter that animal. Speaking only about my local branch of CP here but I asked tham about becoming a fosterer almost a year ago and was told they had more than enough fosterers. A very snotty woman she is, have had a couple of discussions with her about this but her answers are always the same, no room at the inn and no need for any more fosterers.
I know all branches arent the same and they dont have an easy job of it.

smudgley
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Elaine - come & live near me & I promise you can have as many cat pens as you like & take as many fosters as you can. :cool: We are always trying to recruit fosterers.

Kazz
05-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I think we have to remember CP branches are very very individual - and it depends a lot on the people in the branch and the response you get that sets your opinion of them.
From what I can see some are excellent some could do with "assistance" in the way they treat people who offer help.:roll:

But I hope you get some help in some way with this cat maybe they can loan you a trap for a day or two to catch him. Am I right in assuming he didn't have a lot of human contact with his last owners? rather left to be a roamer:(

Good luck.

smudgley
05-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Your right Kazz.

It's sad to hear some branches are not helpful, giving CP a bad name. I too hope you get some help with this fella.

Elaine
05-06-2006, 11:23 PM
I agree with all the above;)
I hope you can get them to help with this fella Emm xxx

smudgley
05-06-2006, 11:24 PM
you agree with all the above, you mean you will come & move & live by me. :cat21

Emm
05-06-2006, 11:29 PM
If I can't manage to catch him I will build him a mini shed where he can go for warmth and a safe sleep and something to eat - the main thing is getting hold of him to neuter and booster him. At least its summer just now

Elaine
05-06-2006, 11:30 PM
you agree with all the above, you mean you will come & move & live by me. :cat21

:lol: Sure, just as soon as I win the lottery:lol: But then again if I won the lottery I'd probably try to set something up around here;)

Snoof
06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Emm, my rescue can lend out humane traps for cats like him. Maybe you could borrow a trap from them, get him to the vet's to be neutered and boostered and then continue to feed him whilst providing a warm place for him to eat and sleep?

dinahsmum
06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I hope you can borrow a trap and capture this boy long enough to get him to the vet for castration. Once that is done he will be much more a 'home body' and might even wheedle himself into someones house/shed.
Good luck and well done for wanting to help.

yola
06-06-2006, 09:44 AM
You may find that once neutered, this chap's personality will change and he will become more docile.

I'm saddened to hear your local CP branch is not helping much. It all stems from the attitude of the co-ordinator. When I 1st started working with my local branch it was run by a real 'mini-Hitler' who really had very odd priorities. Since then a really excellent woman's taken over, and completely changed the feel of the branch . . . everyone is more positive and willing to help and even if they can't, will take the time to explain why they can't.

Good luck with both CP and finding a new home for the poor cat (words fail me on how someone could just LEAVE their pet . . . )

Elaine
06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Any joy with this one yet Emm?

Kim
06-06-2006, 05:13 PM
How sad, I do hope you can find a home for him. It may be worth ringing some of the the independent rescues who may have room. I agree about the neutering, would definitely make him more 'homeable'. Smudgley, what you have said just makes me realise how bad the situation is with strays and makes we realise we are a very long way off running out of mogs!!

Kazz
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
What Smudgley has said makes me realise just how bad the situation is.:(

Emm
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Well the Cat Register have sent me an email they might be willing to catch Felix and neuter him - they can't promise to rehome though but this is very positive - I will speak to some-one tomorrow to see what can be done. :) :)

Mags
07-06-2006, 11:17 PM
That's some good news anyway Emm....good luck for tomorrow.....:cool:

Moli
07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Great news Emm, things are looking up for this poor boy..:D

Emm
07-06-2006, 11:25 PM
hopefully - I just hope it doesn't mean I end up with a 5th cat :? :lol: