PDA

View Full Version : Missing the box!

MrsH
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I need a bit of help here folks.

My 2 eight month old cats have been very clean but just lately Jason has been missing the box for "poo"!

We thought he'd just accidentally "hung over" the edge a bit,but this evening Hubby saw him deliberately avoid the box and do his thing about a foot away from it. The box is clean, solids are immediately removed and the Catsan gets changed every other day.

Any ideas on what we can do?
I'm not aware of anything likely to have upset him.

Hreow
03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Some cats prefer different boxes for poo and wee. Do they share one box? (possible rivalry, would probably be on the path to the one box, if yes)
Could be he doesn't like catsan for poo (different stance apparently makes a difference to some cats). Shouldn't be a problem at his age, though.
Clueless, as usual. :grin:

CJK
03-06-2006, 09:35 PM
we had this problem with princess, as i am sure you'll all remember. I eneded up with my downstairs hallway being a gigantuous litter tray, with paper everywhere etc.
anyway since i changed to worlds best cat litter the problem has improved. She hasnt stopped completely, but is 80% better.
She is really fussy, one wee wee even and she wont go in the tray.
but hreow is right, about diff trays for poo and wee. Princess uses the smaller tray for wee and bigger one for poo. She avoids the hooded tray at all costs!

It may be a case of trial and error with cat litters, i ended up with four litter trays and five diff brands of cat litter lol.

shame youre not closer or i could give you a small bag of worlds best to try.

borderdawn
03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
You could try a covered litter tray, or a high sided one, they often work.
Dawn.

MrsH
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your ideas.
I'm just puzzled as to why this has suddenly started, I've only ever used Catsan so they're well used to it. Hubby has just reminded me that we've recently changed the disinfectant we use since we read somewhere about phenols, and now use a specifically pet-safe one. Could it be that? But why would he then still use the litter-tray for wee?
Wish I could understand cats!

Hreow
04-06-2006, 01:51 AM
As they get older, they also get heavier. Sometimes it's just the extra weight on the paws that does it. Apparently. :-)

MrsH
04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Funny you should say that Hreow, I'd just suggested the same thing to OH about 20 mins. ago! Maybe we could try putting slightly less Catsan in the tray. Could be now Jason's getting heavier, that he finds the litter a bit uncomfortable under his paws.

Hreow
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Hm... don't know if that would help, if that *is* the problem. If you're barefoot on a gravelly beach it's not going to matter much if it is a foot deep or three. I've seen some people put a layer of shredded news-paper on top. I have no idea if that is why they do it (possibly just to keep the sand from flying out), but that might be worth a go?

dinahsmum
06-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I read something about cats with particularly sensitive feet finding some litters more comfy than others. If you're in the box for a quick wee it's bearable but having to a) adopt and b) hold the straining going for poo posture, whilst standing on uncomfortable stones (as it must feel) is a different matter. Going 'near but not in' shows that he is trying to keep his midden in the one place.
Looks like you might be into a trial and error situation? I've heard lots of recommendations for'World's Best' but can't speak from experience - the compressed sawdust works here!

Good luck - and please come back and tell us your solution - it might well help someone else in the future.