PDA

View Full Version : I have a kitten - where's my cat?

Kazz
01-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Well I finaly bit the bullet and took Cleo to the vets, she has as some of you know been a little under the weather for a few weeks nothing specific but something. Well took her to the vets and he has given her a wide ranging antibiotic and "pain killer" and boy she seems to feel better I think she was just feeling a little rough - also her heart is perfect, and he said although you can see she is an old lady he would "guess" more 15-16 tha 23-24 :-D

The minus points; when she had her op start of this year she weighed 4.9kg now she weighs 4.1kg (quite a weight loss in under 6 months) this is a symptom (as Elaine will know) of CRF their bodies need to "eat" away their protien/body fat. :( But other than that she is okay keep an eye on her and we are going back in 2 weeks more than anything to monitor her weight, and maybe another jab if this continues to work well. :D

Hope no one thought I'd actually got a kitten - tut tut, my heart and my lap belongs to Cleo ;)

borderdawn
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Tis great news Kazz.
dawn.

smudgley
01-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Glad she's doing ok Kazz - & no we knew you wouldn't be getting a kitten. Not for a while anyway. ;)

Kazz
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks Dawn I know its not a "real" answer but similar to Oz's when he had steriods for his arthritis :) but she is eating drinking and seems okay just a little under the weather - the vet said consider it like a person taking an asprin.:-D So I have seems to have worked she seem much happpier therefore so am I.

Before anyone jumps into this post and says you should not "keep a cat who is not well" I say "mind your own business, she is happy and I will not keep her going just for me, I know my cat and will know when the time is right to have her PTS. But I will make sure she is happy and comfortable and above all okay in herself."

Fran
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Glad Cleo is doing ok despite the weight loss. Let's hope her weight remains steady now the vet has given her something to make her feel a little more comfortable x

Kazz
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Glad she's doing ok Kazz - & no we knew you wouldn't be getting a kitten. Not for a while anyway. ;)

If ever smudgley, maybe an older unwanted cat though but for now I'll stick with my grumpy od lady:roll: :-D

Moli
01-06-2006, 10:34 PM
So pleased she is doing well Kazz....

Snoof
01-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm so glad! My first thought was "Oooooh kitten!" but when I saw you were the one posting it I realised it wasn't going to be an actual kitten :lol:

Mags
01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Glad you went to put your mind at rest Kazz. So pleased she is doing well considering.......long may it continue....;):)

Kazz
01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm so glad! My first thought was "Oooooh kitten!" but when I saw you were the one posting it I realised it wasn't going to be an actual kitten :lol:

My reputation as the owner of older cats goes before me I see :roll: one day you never know Snoof you never know I can do surprises. ;) but I agree it is unlikely:-D

Hreow
02-06-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm glad you got your kitten back! So nice when they perk up, isn't it?

Sweet
02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Glad to hear Cleo is a little better x

dinahsmum
02-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm glad to hear she's feeling good. I hope she has the most wonderful long summer with the sun on her back ..... and then, after summer, a wonderful winter next to the radiator!
Losing weight? - she needs more chip shop fish! Perhaps a piece of roe?

Booktigger
02-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I am so glad she is doing so well - she is nearly as old as me!!! My 2 plus one of the long term fosters (and maybe both soon) go to be weighed once a month to keep an eye on them, maybe do them same with her?

Kazz
02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone and I knew she was loosing weight you can feel it when you pick her up I am no good at guessing weights but I know she was loosing some.:?

But at the end of the day she does not do a lot these days and her food intake is the same she is just loosing wieght. But she is still gorgoeus. The vet we saw we hadn't seen for a while and he said how well she looks, her fur was a credit to us, (she is groomed twice a day now she adores it and saves her energy) but "our" vet who operated on her start of the year Pablo has gone back to Spain :shock: she was good though she rolled over well collapsed everytime the vets and nurses fussed her :roll: purring her head off even when she had the jabs she purred.:-D Headbutting everyone in sight.:roll:

She has the food there DM. With the sumer almost here I hope she takes the oppurtunity to sunbath.:-D

EmmaG
02-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Good to hear she is still ok Karen, such a little poppet!! :)

Naomi
02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm so glad to hear she's okayKazz :D

Donna
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Glad Cleo is feeling better x x

Elaine
03-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Before anyone jumps into this post and says you should not "keep a cat who is not well" I say "mind your own business, she is happy and I will not keep her going just for me, I know my cat and will know when the time is right to have her PTS. But I will make sure she is happy and comfortable and above all okay in herself."

Dont think anyone would dare;) And anyway, although she has CRF doesnt mean she is an unwell cat, just means she is in decline, due to age mostly, in her case just as it was in Winstons.
I am very pleased she is doing so well. The weight loss can be cause for concern. Is it weight loss or could it be more to do with muscle wastage, I wonder. It may be the latter if she is eating the same as normal but maybe not as active.
She is such a beautifull girl and I wish her well. xxx Its very encouraging that she hasnt developed as many of the problems that the old boy did and every one here knows that you would NEVER let her suffer. As long as she is eating/drinking and is happy and comfortable, who knows how long this old girl will on for:D Personally I hope for many more years, she is a very special lady.xxx

Kazz
03-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I think it's muscle wastage her brain has stopped working ;) Thank you all and Thanks Elaine I must admit when I took her to the vets and he'd looked her over and then came back in the roo and closed the door - my stomach went into my throat and I had to babble to stop myself from crying I was convinced he was going to say "its time" and I wasn't ready but he didn't so I babbled at him again, talking absolute rubbish :roll: he must have me down as a right nutter,:-D which is right. But never about the cats.

Elaine
03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: