PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the smell..........

Donna
31-05-2006, 05:49 PM
of sick out of a carpet?

My son Sean was violently sick in his bedroom last night and I did clean it up at 1am, but it stinks in there. What can I do to get rid of the smell?:(

Any tips?

dinahsmum
31-05-2006, 05:54 PM
You could try the tomato juice trick. :shock: Just cover the sicky area with tomato juice and then (of course) do what you need to clear up the tomato juice - taking the nasty niff with it. I know this works on dogs who've rolled in fox poo (disgusting :smt078 ) and it worked for Jeanette where Luna had had a dire-rear on a wooden floor. Not sure how you get rid of tomato juice on carpet - warm water and biological washing powder I guess?
Otherwise I'd say try a hired carpet cleaner but don't put too much trust in it - what a smell!
Oust is good at disguising for the time it takes to deal with it properly.

Donna
31-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Will give anything a try!!!

Bit scared to go back in there tho!!!!

dinahsmum
31-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Try the "Oust"

dinahsmum
31-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Just found this handy hint - less drastic than pouring red liquid on your floor?
"The best thing on carpet is to use a solution of one teaspoon of mild detergent with one teaspoon of white vinegar in a quart of warm water.

If you have a carpet with underlay you should raise the carpet, cut out the piece of wet underlay and replace with another piece, scrub the floor surface beneath and clean the carpet itself. The vinegar is acidic and cuts the odour from the fabric whilst not removing the carpet colour"

Mags
31-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Another way you could try is to make a solution of bicarbonate of soda and water, rub it in, let it dry, vac it out. Bicarbonate of soda usually neutralises most nasty smells.

If a trace of smell is remaining you could Febreze over the top...

Oooops....forgot to mention the peg for your nose when you enter the room!:lol:

Donna
31-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Just been up there!!

Did a solution of washing powder with some bicarb in, followed by a spray of vanish carpet cleaner and scrubbed in with the same washing powder solution.... then noticed Seans Lynx deoderant...... smells quite nice now, but will see what happens when it dries out!!!

Thanks ladies for the tips!

yola
31-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Donna - I've just been through this with Dominik vommiting on the stair carpet on 2 separate occasions.

1st we washed and disinfected it and then I used the stuff that you use to get cat poo/pee/puke smells out.

It worked . . . but I had to saturate the carpets thoroughly. They actually stank worse to start with and then the smell gradualy faded as it all dried.

Donna
31-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Donna - I've just been through this with Dominik vommiting on the stair carpet on 2 separate occasions.

1st we washed and disinfected it and then I used the stuff that you use to get cat poo/pee/puke smells out.

It worked . . . but I had to saturate the carpets thoroughly. They actually stank worse to start with and then the smell gradualy faded as it all dried.

Thanks Yola, will see how it dries out and if so will get the cat stuff - assume can get something online??

yola
31-05-2006, 07:33 PM
You can get it on line or most pet shops will sell some kind of odour/stain remover.

You just ought to do a small patch test on your carpet (depending on what type it is). I have one of those coir natural jobbies which you (technically) can't wash but thankfully the saturation didn't damage it.