PDA

View Full Version : Questions about long haired cats....

smudgley
29-05-2006, 05:03 PM
for those of you with experience of long haired cats......

1 - Do you find the "bottom area" gets in a mess? :oops:

2 - How often do you groom?

3 - Is grooming an enjoyable/pleasurable event? (I mean for the cat) :roll:

4 - How did you make it become a pleasurable event?

5 - would you have more long haired cats?

Hreow
29-05-2006, 05:14 PM
1) Yes, more or less depending on cat. (Only long-haired moggies - Persians may be different.) One count of better when selectively clipped, one count of better when not clipped. No clue why the difference - toileting stance subtly different perhaps.

2) Every day. More when Mog had rolled about in the garden like a mad thing.

3) One yes, one puts up with grudgingly.

4) Started early, short sessions, knots kept on top of, treats where warranted.

5) Not by choice.

And it's ten years ago, so maybe there is a conditioner-thingy for cats that makes the long fur easier to deal with now?

LMC
29-05-2006, 06:00 PM
1) Yes, and needs keeping an eye on or the poor cat could get fly-strike (WARNING: do not read further if you're eating!) - where flies lay their eggs in the 'area', maggots, infection, etc - can be a killer. I wrap Rug in a towel and wash/trim with very sharp scissors rather than clipping.

2) I groom every few days - I can cope with scruffy as long as I can keep her clear of tangles.

3) No, she hates it, but is getting gradually better as I do a little at a time - just enough to stop her getting matted.

4) Lots of soothing talk and make sure I start with the bits she likes - round the ears, under her chin and her back.

5) Probably not

janey83
29-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok, Tigger isnt quite a long haired cat, he's on the middle. But

1 - Yes

2 - Nearly every day

3 - Yes, untill he attacks the brush, then i stop.

4 -

5 - Yes

borderdawn
29-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Never had a dirty bottom on a Cat.

Groom 3 times a week in the winter, twice a week in the Summer, but can depend on the Cat.

All my Cats like being groomed, the Persian lies on her side (taught from kitten) purrs away untill you get to inside back legs! Shouts like hell then, still doesnt try to run off, still purrs away, but voices an opinion.

Like the dogs, after grooming, the Cats always get a treat, the wait for it.

Yes I would definately have more long haired Cats.
Dawn.

yola
29-05-2006, 10:18 PM
1 - Do you find the "bottom area" gets in a mess? :oops:
Yes. But only one of mine is a 'dirty mare'. I've never clipped her, but I find that a wide toothed comb and some talc sprinkled liberally on the offending area will get rid of most of the mess. However, a REALLY bad mess will mean a dip in the shower.

2 - How often do you groom?
Depends - on time available. I've got away with not grooming at all for about 2 weeks :shock: but usually I find every 3-5 days is sufficient.

3 - Is grooming an enjoyable/pleasurable event? (I mean for the cat) :roll:
Coz 2 of mine have been having it done since kittens they just kind of put up with it . . . I wouldn't say they enjoy it, but they don't fret about it. Darcy, who was not groomed for a long time was very stressed initially and it too a lot of time and resulted in lots of scratches. However, hes now beginning to accept the routine as normal and resists less.

4 - How did you make it become a pleasurable event?
I talk to them in a soothing voice. I give them treats afterwards. Usually I finish off with giving them some cat 'toothpaste' which is chicken-flavoured and which they adore.

5 - would you have more long haired cats?
Definitely. :-D

Moli
29-05-2006, 11:07 PM
My exotics have not got long hair, but very thick and dense costs, no problems with bottoms, but I do groom them every couple of days...